Fuel tank and consumption

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
MarkyMark

Re: Fuel tank and consumption

Post by MarkyMark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Ok. This is THE most annoying thing I find about the car (5 years,approaching 20k miles of ownership) 3.5 (not the R) 245bhp. I have also had to confirm with the factory more than once, like at a service, “Is it definitely 40 litres?”. As others have noted, anything under 15-20 litres and even on a slight LEFT hand turn on my car, the fuel litres drop to zero, if it is a sustained left turn or curve. The opposite happens if going right. On straightening out the litres return to normal BUT once it starts, eventually my entire dashboard starts to glow red (rev lights) and the main display showing “Low Fuel” ie no speedometer etc. It stops becoming a dashboard with the info I need. So I then have to fill up,all the while I keep telling myself,”I am sure I have more than enough fuel left” but at the back of mind I am thinking, that may be this time I am wrong but No! When I refuel I generally get about 28-30 litres in. So had about another 65-85 mile range left at least!
On my last service at the factory Steve kept saying that they will reprogramme it to be less sensitive and it would take “2 minutes” but alas at the end of the day, he said they could not do it. It actually ruins the drive if I am out on a blast. It makes me nervous that may be this time it really is low but more seriously my dashboard stops being a dashboard and only becomes a Low Fuel Warning display. I know they (the factory) say that they are worried about fuel starvation when track driving,but this afflicted my very first car (Renault Clio!) almost 30 years ago!! Well in to the 21st Century now and this car is meant to be State of the Art. It kind of ruins the driving experience for me. If travelling longer distances it means I am pit stopping (or searching for a petrol station) an hour earlier than I need to. MM

reg

Re: Fuel tank and consumption

Post by reg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:33 pm

You can calibrate the dash to suit. Go into the fuel field and 'calculate equation from a table of values'

1. Empty and fill with 5L, measure the voltage on the sensor and stick the voltage in the X column and '0' in the right.
2. Add 2L, measure the voltage, fill in X and Y
3. After filling up 16 fields you should have 37L in total, and a zero reading at 5L.

The software will make the curve, so when the tank is a weird shape the voltage might shift non linearly in the upper mid point, this is taken into account with readings you enter.

I've done the same with various dashes, just be sure you have the correct firmware version prior to a download, any doubt email RT, they're great. BTW you can find out your firmware by holding a couple of buttons as you turn the dash on, the software is free and the leads should have come with the car. If not I am sure someone has some.

Then set the smoothing up and the other filter.

That should make it a lot better.