Atom 4 vs 3.5 245 vs 3.5 SC Advice Please

All things Atomic
carspath

Atom 4 vs 3.5 245 vs 3.5 SC Advice Please

Post by carspath » Sat May 25, 2024 8:52 pm

Please could I tap the collecticve for some advice .

Since about January this year I have been lookibg for an Atom .

I first set my heart on a 3.5 245 n/a -- very basic spec but in very good condition .
The acceleration and cornering was more than adequate - you just had to use the available revs .
The induction roar was great . but there was obviously none of the famous whine

But I had a gnawing feeling that I needed to be more aware of my options so looked at a 3.5 SC .
Much quicker , although I dont know how much of this was my perception of speed due to the amazing whine
But it cost a lot more .

I have now increased the budget such that a moderately well-specified Atom 4 is on the cards
I have 2 different sets of questions please .

I have read the mags , online reviews , various fora , and watched the videos , but would be really garteful for your advice founded on your own real-life , on-road , experiences of the various Atom variants .

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT I WILL ONLY BE USING ''MY '' ATOM 'ON ROAD , AND NEVER ON TRACK

So the 2 questions are :

(A) What am going to miss out on by going for a base spec 3.5 245 vs an Atom 4 at almost double the price ?
Are the differences actually perceptible on road OR do you need to go on track to appreciate them ?

(B) Please could you tell me what your opinions are about which of these two Atom 4 cars ( by which I mean the options on these 2 cars ) are best suited to my intended road only use :

Car 1 : AP Racing 4 pot 290 mm discs Front and Rear ; Baffled sump ; Quick release steering wheel ; Reversing camera ; plus a
whole load of cheaper options

Car 2 : Adjustable Traction control with Launch control ; Sport brake package Front and Rear ; Bilstein Single adjustable dampers
with 2 piece springs Front and Rear ; plus several cheaper options

Both these Atom 4 cars are almost the same price , and the same mileage , and the same age

1) How much fun is the launch control ? and is it something that the Atom can take repeatedly without collapsing into an expensive heap of smouldring parts ? ( I have one V12 mid-engined monster with LC and the owner's manual actually cautions you from using the system because of the additional strain that it puts on the drivetrain -- but then the Atom is so much lighter )

How useful is having adjustable traction control on an Atom that will never go on track ?
When would you ever turn down the traction control when driving on public roads in the UK ? ( am I misunderstanding how TC works / is used ? )

2) How comfortable is the standard ''cheap '' damper and spring suspension set up on the Atom 4 - my wife who will be a passenger has a bad back ? Are the Bilsteins as per Car 2 much more compliant and comfortable than teh standard set-up or is there negligible difference in road use ?

All other thoughts/comments /advice gratefully received .

And if anyone has a 3.5 (n/a or sc ) or a moderate spec 4 in great condition please do let me know .

My apologies for 2 questions mushrooming into a library of questions

speedmachine

Re: Atom 4 vs 3.5 245 vs 3.5 SC Advice Please

Post by speedmachine » Sat May 25, 2024 10:12 pm

So here goes. I have an atom 4 sequential with all the goodies and have owned an atom 2 sc, 3.5 245 and supercharged it myself, so can comment on all of them.

The 4 is MUCH more compliant which is noticeable on roads even more than on track. If you want a rock solid car that feels like you leave a wheel behind when going through a potthole, take the older types, any will do.
If you want to just go on with your trip, take the 4.

The old cars are GREAT thrill machines, but I myself have a bad back and am so gratefull I opted for the 4.

The TC is a true motorsport type TC and is great to keep you safe on the road, but will let you play and use the power. Also very good on track.

Take the 4 with the brakes, the sport brakes are not up to the task and very bad for resale.

Good luck

carspath

Post by carspath » Tue May 28, 2024 11:54 pm

Thank you speedmachine for your prompt and detailed response - it is much appreciated .

Tak ecare and Best wishes

carspath

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 am

having owned both a 3 and 2 x 4's with different spec, the 4 is a much better car in nearly every area. If your budget can stretch to a 4 then get one. Thinks to go for are definitely the Ap brakes, the TC is brilliant and works really well, if the car has standard brakes then it will cost a few thousand to upgrade and if you are thinking about the odd trackday then you will need the AP brakes.

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Fri May 31, 2024 12:27 pm

I addition to the points from Roy and Mark above, specifically on the Atom 4 standard suspension, it is very good on road and track especially considering it is not adjustable. My car has it and I feel no need to upgrade, despite going out in Ohlin as well as single and 2 way adjustable Bilstein fitted Atom 4.

I would definitely go you the AP brakes over the sports or standard brakes. A lot of the braking is done on the rear wheels on the Atom 4, due to the majority of the weight being over them. The standard and sports (just uprated pads and discs) use fiesta ST calipers which on the rear are really small. The TC is great and will keep you safer on the road if you give it too much throttle for the road conditions