The curious case of the Atom 4 brakes

All things Atomic
Winmoz

The curious case of the Atom 4 brakes

Post by Winmoz » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:00 pm

I’ve invited the factory to give us their thoughts on the matter, if they wish, as they will have been very mindful of the high standards the marque is known for.

As I said, I’ve used AP brakes in the past to good effect. Really enjoyed standing cars on the nose. Will be interested to see if anyone prefers the APs over the Alcons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

Peter255

Re: The curious case of the Atom 4 brakes

Post by Peter255 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Charlie wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:27 pm Sorry if I am hijacking this thread but can anyone tell me the spec of the handbrake callipers for the 4 as the standard brakes don’t come with the separate calliper is it also an A.P and a straight forward fit without any extras?
Its a small Brembo unit for the handbrake on the 4 with the rear AP brakes. Sorry I don't have the details.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:27 pm

Yorkshire wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:11 pm Tilton 74 Series Master Cylinder 7/8" (22.2mm) Bore Cylinder Only on e bay £69.48 from Competition Supplies. This will sort out long travel pedal and better feel. Mintex Pads i would have to look up but my choice may not be every bodies as i only use my Atom on circuit not the road.
Excellent, thanks for saving me homework 👍 Brakes were next on the list, just to kill that dead zone at the top, power is there, just in the last 3rd of travel, the rest is nothing.

Especially annoying when you want a little dab just to weight the nose up, just nothing happens

reg

Post by reg » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:05 am

Richard Marler wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:33 pm Worth me adding here: With the brake and accelerator being so much closer on the 4, I am still not convinced that at least some of the time I am hitting the accelerator at the same time as the brake, which would obviously explain my comments on feeling and performance.
Cut the accelerator pedal in half, works really well. Not my mod, so credit to Chris/Paul… seen it and it eliminates the issue with no downsides tbh.
Last edited by reg on Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

reg

Post by reg » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:11 am

Peter255 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:43 pm I like the sound of the larger master cylinder. Seems like a good fix!

@reg you getting this fitted?

And they fitted APs to the back of Steve's car?! :o Miss-matched brakes?! :td:
Definitely prepared to give it a go, cheaper than changing calipers!

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:41 am

Charlie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:12 pm I have standard brakes fitted on my 4 and was looking to upgrade and source elsewhere but everyone told me the brakes are unique to Ariel viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18521 but from what you are saying is the Alcon and AP are interchangeable can you confirm this as there are Refurbed Alcons for sale by a company on eBay or if there is any other cars that they fit as I believe the pads for the Alcons are the same as the Old Ford Racing Puma the wide arched LE back from the early noughties?
[mention]Charlie[/mention] are you experiencing the same long pedal travel on the standard brakes as others are having with the AP calipers?

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:51 am

I find on my Nomad - I hit the accelerator at the same time is the brake. Most disconcerting, thought would ask the factory to distance the pedals if possible

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:56 pm

PhilM wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:41 am
Charlie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:12 pm I have standard brakes fitted on my 4 and was looking to upgrade and source elsewhere but everyone told me the brakes are unique to Ariel viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18521 but from what you are saying is the Alcon and AP are interchangeable can you confirm this as there are Refurbed Alcons for sale by a company on eBay or if there is any other cars that they fit as I believe the pads for the Alcons are the same as the Old Ford Racing Puma the wide arched LE back from the early noughties?
@Charlie are you experiencing the same long pedal travel on the standard brakes as others are having with the AP calipers?
Yes but my car is still running in and the brakes do seem to be getting a bit better

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:41 pm

Are the factory happy to do the master cylinder switch?
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

reg

Post by reg » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:47 pm

You don't ask, you don't get :D

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm

[mention]IanG[/mention] & [mention]Winmoz[/mention] thanks for the insight and pic of the AP + Alcon setup. I have the rear ‘sport’ brake and Alcon setup but was considering upgrading the rears too, though I mainly drive on the road... I’ve found on occasion if the bias is too far forward (great for initial bite) the rear wants to come round under very heavy breaking in some conditions. If I move the bias too far back then the performance is a bit underwhelming and I loose a bit of pedal when first applying the brake... would interested to hear how the new combo goes or if anyone has any other alternatives!

Cheers.

willox

Post by willox » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:19 pm

following, some good reading.... still new to Atom driving, got used to the brakes as have the track ap set up as well.Ran Ap and Alcon race kits on Evos over the years and both brands are very good.Would be good to firm up the pedal a little.

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:21 pm

Folks, we thought it would be good to chat direct with the factory on this topic.

We've posted a summary of their response over on the members forum (hey, we have to offer some incentive to join up).
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18628

Thanks to Tom for his time and speedy response.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun May 01, 2022 8:06 pm

Winmoz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:21 pm Folks, we thought it would be good to chat direct with the factory on this topic.

We've posted a summary of their response over on the members forum (hey, we have to offer some incentive to join up).
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18628

Thanks to Tom for his time and speedy response.

Hmm this is such an anti-climax after a good read🤣

reg

Post by reg » Sun May 01, 2022 8:14 pm

Hold that thought. There’s much more to come ;)