Chat: Eddie FourFather Hill Atom II Ecotec Performance Upgrades

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
NormLarson

Re: Chat: Eddie FourFather Hill Atom II Ecotec Performance Upgrades

Post by NormLarson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Max, very good post!

Darth, are the vibrations really annoying or just annoying?  Sorry to be pesky about it, but, after Max's post I am seriously considering it  Are we changing our Brammo A2 Eco's into Brammo A2 Honda's with torque or is the vibration worse than the Honda, if you know.
Last edited by NormLarson on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Eddie, I'm curious will you be using Tom's intercooler or fabbing one up on your own...........or using stock?

positron

Post by positron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:34 pm

I understand them as something similar to sound canceling counter waves. Offset one frequency with an anti frequency (vibration). Both canceling each other out.

I tend to be the contrarian, particularly after the vibrating mirror issue and for 10Hp I should lose a few pounds of winter coat would be better suited. Sustained violent vibration, whatever the cause creeps it way into destruction of other vital systems, frame welds, electronics, light bulbs... etc.. If your after the (maybe) 10Hp lose a few pounds first.. IMHO..

I went with the Bates billet balance shafts as, I'm told the stock ones will fly apart at super high rpms, seems like it was 8-9k. Will any of us be there? Doubtful but one never should say never.. and besides billet anything is second to CF in having enough..

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 pm

The vibrations aren't that bad, but you can feel them.  I have had to reglue that fender.  I have not had anything more break ( no cracks in light stalks for example).  I would say if you are getting your head done up for 8500 rpm rev, go for it.  If your just doing it for that extra 10hp, don't bother.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:46 pm

[quote="Positron"]
If your after the (maybe) 10Hp lose a few pounds first.. IMHO..[/quote]

You've met Eddie (who's pretty dang fit). Do you think he has 10 lbs to lose? :) But I see your point.. most people...

positron

Post by positron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:14 pm

10hp may matter for Eddie and Dp35.. but probably not the rest of us.. surely 10lbs would suit the lot of us better...  :laugh:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Speak for yourself old man :p

positron

Post by positron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Since my arse is closer to the sidewalk, I have a lower center of gravity and less way up in the wind working in my favor.. Image

Remind me to tell you about the old bull and the new bull overlooking the herd of heifers some time..  :wize:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Yeah I know, let's ****them all.  That joke is almost as old as you  ::)
:D

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I'll take less weight,better brakes and tuned suspension over HP any day.(sorry Eddie.. ;))

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Answer to Terry's "Was that the "factory" (Brammo) tune? Do you know if your car ever got the updated ECU code?"

That was a starter tune that Darth did for me to get me a safe baseline to start tuning my new-at-that-time mods. 2.8 pulley on the stock M-62 Eaton, Water/Methanol injection, dual by-pass, Intercooler expansion tank with 22psi cap, etc. It was a dead-safe tune that allowed me to run hard at Hallett with all these new mods, without hurting anything. It was perfect for that.

And the reason it took 22 tunes to get to the next (252WHP) dyno chart I showed, was because I had to learn how to run the HPTuners, and I made only small changes and evaluated them on the dyno, and scanning all the things you need to watch to keeep from hurting the engine by getting too lean, or getting knock, or getting too much engine temp, or too much intake temp, etc. I took safe, easy, baby steps while learning- so I wouldn't lose precious track time by blowing up my engine!

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:48 pm

what solution will you use for intercooler upgrade...if any?

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:39 am

Darth, thanks for posting the balance shaft link- that one from level zero is almost exactly what I've been considering machining up myself as one option.

My reason for doing the balance delete, or neutral balance, is because the GM Performance build book, third edition, part #88958728, page 87, says to do it if you plan on anything over 7500 rpm, and I'm shooting for 8000. They spin at twice crank speed, and one of the stock balance shafts (which are, of course, by design, very OUT of balance) exploding in the block at 16,000 rpm would ruin my whole day! The 10 hp or so they say you gain, if it happens, is just a bonus, not the reason to do it.

I'd rather try to live with more vibes at idle, or lower speeds, than chance an explosion at redline! I've had a LOT of those in a previous endeavor, and never enjoyed any of them!

And, by the way, one of the ads I saw for a delete, or neutral kit, mentioned saving about NINE pounds of weight. But both of my stockers, together on a good scale, show only about FIVE and a half pounds for the pair ----  HMMM? Wonder how they do that?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:50 am

Like the RPMs are doubled, apparently the weight is as well  ;)