Removing the exhaust manifold

Custom build threads. Installing a turbo, new blower, rebuilding the suspension, etc... A place to document your disease.
Flying Phil

Removing the exhaust manifold

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:12 pm

... so it's sitting there... smiling at me.... refusing to budge out of the frame until I come up with something clever :doh:
Do I need to seperate the expansion joint and completely disassemble the manifold in order to remove it, or should I just lift the engine out?? Any thoughts?

Monza

Re: Removing the exhaust manifold

Post by Monza » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 pm

engine out ? well if you have time ;D
No, you don't have to disconnect the part with springs, but only the first bolted connection after it.
So it's all a question of angle to find , i have done it several times on Atom 3, but can't remember exactly which position helps to get it out.
I remember one time, it was still into the chassis after 10 min of efforts and i began to be really unhappy  :doh: :doh: i stopped, have a drink, come back in my garage and 1 min later it was done ! ;) and do not forget to remember how to put it out, because i'm sure of one thing : it'll be the opposite movements you'll have to do to put it in ;D
Good luck, be confident !
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:08 am

Awesome.... have seperated the springs and removed the muffler (silencer), only part still intact is the first bolted connection  :doh:
(Why oh why don't I ask the forum first)
Thanks Monza, I'll try that next. Cheers ;)
(now drinking heavily)
Last edited by Flying Phil on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monza

Post by Monza » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:48 pm

you need to remove the muffler, so it was not loosing time to it. ;)
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Razzele

Post by Razzele » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:40 am

I know this is an old topic but for the benefit of future users; removing the manifold studs gives you a little more clearance from the frame. The next step is to remove the oil filter (catching the oil that will leak) then with some thoughtful and careful manipulation you will have a surprisingly light exhaust manifold free from the car.