Is this meant to have a cover?

l33haw

Is this meant to have a cover?

Post by l33haw » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:07 am

May be a silly question as it looks like it should.

This is under the car look towards the back left hand side of the car (u can see the left rear wheel for perspective) and the sump is just out of sight to the left of the camera

Any thoughts on whether it sould or not are much appreciated.

Thanks

l33haw

Re: Is this meant to have a cover?

Post by l33haw » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:14 am

PS i beleive its the flywheel inspection plate. Do some people leave it off for heat reasons?

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:16 am

Yes most cars would have a cover plate in this area.... the Honda that the engine and box are lifted from has one......

:vroom:

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:54 am

I don't think meladdo actually has an atom just yet, but as far as I am aware there is no cover plate on any standard 2 or 3.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Richard you are correct in what you say I don't have an Atom as yet....but I am assuming its a fairly standard engine box and so its more normal for a cover to be fitted than not......I suppose a call to the factory is the easy option....but why would it be left off?  Cooling perhaps?
;D

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:07 pm

I am not saying I know why, just that I think it is the case.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks Richard, can anyone else (hopefully) back this up by having a glance at their Atom?

Also if this is the case, any theories why? i guess cooling too, but seems quite a vunerable item to be left open at the bottom of the car.

Drinks

Post by Drinks » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:52 pm

l33haw wrote: Thanks Richard, can anyone else (hopefully) back this up by having a glance at their Atom?
My car is the same just had a quick look (58 plate Atom 3 245)

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Drinks wrote:
l33haw wrote: Thanks Richard, can anyone else (hopefully) back this up by having a glance at their Atom?
My car is the same just had a quick look (58 plate Atom 3 245)
Cool, thanks for that drinks. Scared me a bit when I saw an exposed fly wheel! Glad it's normal!

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Less is more  ::)

stew

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:17 am

Richard Marler wrote: I don't think meladdo actually has an atom just yet, but as far as I am aware there is no cover plate on any standard 2 or 3.
Glad you clarified that as my 1 has the cover.

Seems silly not to fit it. It's not like car manufacturers would fit them if they could save on the part.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:17 am

Just spoke to the factory about something else and mentioned about this. They say all the engines come in to them without the cover and they see no reason to add it. Adding, If anything it helps gravel escape should you go of track.

sportyking

Post by sportyking » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:19 am

I found this a couple of years ago on my 2 and wasn't happy with the possibility (albeit remote) of something getting flicked into the flywheel/clutch so I went on the Civic type r website and acquired one there.  I actually got it for nowt because I bought a duff gearbox to look inside and investigate making a closer ratio gearbox or a higher final drive from an accord.  Still not got anywhere due to too many projects.

ross

Post by ross » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:08 pm

l33haw wrote: Adding, If anything it helps gravel escape should you go of track.
That does kind of beg the question, 'where does the gravel get into to start with???'

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:40 pm

It should have a cover and comes with one. The cover is held on by 2x10mm bolts.
Debris will get in there and it's only a matter of when. It's not impossible for some metal crap off the road getting thrown in and either wrapped up in the mainshaft, flywheel or clutch or the clutch release lever. It also allows all that wonderful salty road water/moisture you get over there up into the clutch plates. I'm very surprised that the factory said it was no issue. It might not be a huge deal but I can think of several negatives for not having it and no positives.