Mk1 Atom Exhaust system

The original Rover powered Atom 1
wisp

Mk1 Atom Exhaust system

Post by wisp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:01 am

I had the inevitable happen on the Mk1..yes the flexi joint in the exhaust has come apart.

There are a few topics of this failing on both UK Atom 2 cars http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,1792.0.html and the USA Atoms http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,4432.0.html.

There also appears to be a factory fix that replaces this...

......with this.....

However from what I can judge (from photos) the Atom 2 exhaust manifold, pipes and muffler are all on the rear side of the engine. Please correct me if this is not the case.

The Mark 1 car, with Rover engine, has it's exhaust manifold on the front side of the engine and the muffler, like the other cars, at the rear. This means that the pipe with flexi joint passes under the engine.

Is anyone aware of the new coupling, that is used in the Atom 2, being successfully used in a Mark 1 car?

Cheers  :tu: in advance.

Bruce Fielding

Re: Mk1 Atom Exhaust system

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:25 am

I think a call to the factory is in order...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:22 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I think a call to the factory is in order...
[/quote]

Why did I know you would post that?  ;D

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Actually it looks like this is an assembly fault. Someone has shortened the end of the flexi joint, prior to welding it into the exhaust pipe, and in doing so has reduced the lenght of the flanged section required to hold the stainless braid in place.

These photos show how short the end of the Fexi joint was cut.
Attachments
flex2.JPG
flex2.JPG (55.96 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
flex1.JPG
flex1.JPG (67.22 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:33 pm

What did the factory say?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:07 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

Opps "We never have shortened the end of the flexi joint in order to squeeze it all in the space available."

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:59 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

Actually they said, "Sure we have the original drawings for your car so we can make one for you that will fit exactly. Not only that but because your car is seven years old it will be free and QWI won't want his cut." ;D
But more importantly I though I heard them say, "Besides we have nothing better to do as it's not like we are busy making cars or anything. If we were really busy it could be an interruption to to one of the staffs production work and this might cause some ingrate to whinge. And we wouldn't want that to happen... would we. To have ingrates in the Atom Fraternity, that is."  :laugh:

And with that they dispatched a brand new one, which must have been on the shelf, because look it's here already. NOT. ;)

Ariel's number is 0 800 FIX A MUFFLER isn't it  ???

(Disclaimer: All of this post is fictitious as I wouldn't waste the time of such dedicated people over such a trivial matter)
Attachments
P1020004.JPG
P1020004.JPG (60.24 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:07 am

Damn right you wont interrupt Ariel over this... you do actually want to go for a drive in an Auckland Molecule this year dont you Wisp???

We wouldnt want Klaus to say "see I told you it would take LOTS longer!" - would we!?

The last pic you posted makes me think you have the flexi-joint issue under control??
Correct??

wisp

Post by wisp » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:07 am

Yes it's all sorted although the photo was of my first attempt. It's amazing, when dealing with such compact spaces, what a difference a couple of mm make.
Another reason for not counting on a replacement part for such an early car from the factory. It may have got here after some months and still needed modifying.

Finally finished in time for a short, quick and chilly road test late on Friday. By which time I was singing to myself...

On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again,
And I can't wait to get on the road again   ;D

edits = spelling
Last edited by wisp on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:20 am

Longing for the life of a Traveler so you can drive your Atom permanently hey.  ;)

Singing.....

On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world be turnin' our way
And our way
Is on the road again
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)