Anyone has a original wiringloom for a K-series Atom 1?

The original Rover powered Atom 1
mobilerobbie

Anyone has a original wiringloom for a K-series Atom 1?

Post by mobilerobbie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:36 pm

My recently purchased car has a brintingthorpe Traction Control and ECU from Pectel that I don't like.
Want to change it for the original wiring so that I can fiddle with the ECU and make the car run better.

So, if anyone has a cableset lying around, please help me out.....

Thanks in advance

Rob

benyeats

Re: Anyone has a original wiringloom for a K-series Atom 1?

Post by benyeats » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:52 pm

[quote="mobilerobbie"]
My recently purchased car has a brintingthorpe Traction Control and ECU from Pectel that I don't like.
Want to change it for the original wiring so that I can fiddle with the ECU and make the car run better.

So, if anyone has a cableset lying around, please help me out.....

Thanks in advance

Rob
[/quote]

I don't but am curious as to why you would want to change ECU. 

I started (but got bored with) investigating the map on the Brunters cars as it is clear to see their is some room for improvement but don't blame the ECU for this.  It is difficult to see what you would go for that could be better than the pectel unit.

Ben

Edited to add: of course if you do end up throwing the pectel unit out I would be happy to save you the re-cycling fee !
Last edited by benyeats on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mobilerobbie

Post by mobilerobbie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:04 am

most important reasons:
Its running very rich (do not know how to modify that) i.e. 100 miles to full tank
The exhaustfumes really are so dense that they give you headache (Yes, offcourse that's only in town trafficjams)
At around 2-2500 rpm I have the engine holding back almost everytime it revs in that area (just like it cuts the ignition)
I hace a modified cylinderhead of my Lotus Elise lying around that I want to put on, I know that with an Emerald or Lotus ECU that's easier to work with
ANd the Pectel unit does not have the idle stepmotor in use, therefore meaning it runs 1400 RPM otherwise it stalls......

To me those reasons are valid enough to search for an original loom....

Ever thought of changing looms with me?

Rob

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:43 am

[quote="mobilerobbie"]
most important reasons:
Its running very rich (do not know how to modify that) i.e. 100 miles to full tank
The exhaustfumes really are so dense that they give you headache (Yes, offcourse that's only in town trafficjams)
At around 2-2500 rpm I have the engine holding back almost everytime it revs in that area (just like it cuts the ignition)
I hace a modified cylinderhead of my Lotus Elise lying around that I want to put on, I know that with an Emerald or Lotus ECU that's easier to work with
ANd the Pectel unit does not have the idle stepmotor in use, therefore meaning it runs 1400 RPM otherwise it stalls......

To me those reasons are valid enough to search for an original loom....

Ever thought of changing looms with me?

Rob

[/quote]

I have noticed similar effects in my engine map, I think part of the problem is the map was done without use of a rolling road so is very conservative, hence runs rich to protect the engine.  I did start trying to find out who did the original map to have a session with them to sort it out but got sent round the houses and got bored.

Interestingly enough this might become an issue for me again soon as I am hoping to aquire a VVC cylinder head so will need remapping after this.  Pectel are just up the road from me so I suppose I could take the ECU in to them and get the definitive answer.

Regarding the exhaust fumes / stall at idle one thing I did that made a big difference was run a load of injector cleaner through (was some stuff a garage had that really made one's eyes run and gag reflex work so I knew it was good) it will now idle fine and starts on the button.

If you are interested in going the pectel re-map route (which I suspect will be cheaper / easier) let me know as we could perhaps come to a deal with a tuner

Ben

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:45 am

100 miles from a tank is about right - remember its only 25 litres, whereas the Mk2 cars are all 40 litres - only cars bought through Ariel's online shop have a 60 litre tank.

Just out of interest, what chassis number is yours?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:51 am

[quote="Atom120"]
100 miles from a tank is about right - remember its only 25 litres, whereas the Mk2 cars are all 40 litres - only cars bought through Ariel's online shop have a 60 litre tank.

[/quote]

No it isn't Ross has said he used to get loads more in his Mk1, my 3 litre Merc gets 300+ from 50 odd liters and it weighs 3 x an Atom

Ben

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:00 am

Didn't realise that - generally there wasn't a huge difference in mpg between my Mk1 and Mk2 - you can get 250 miles from the 40 litre tank on a Mk2, and I managed about 130 miles before running my Mk1 completely dry of its 25 litres. So that's about 24mpg for the Mk1 and 28mpg for the Mk2. I put a lot of the difference down to gearing, but as Ross's experience is different, there's probably more to the ECU than I thought!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:03 am

[quote="Atom120"]
Didn't realise that - generally there wasn't a huge difference in mpg between my Mk1 and Mk2 - you can get 250 miles from the 40 litre tank on a Mk2, and I managed about 130 miles before running my Mk1 completely dry of its 25 litres. So that's about 24mpg for the Mk1 and 28mpg for the Mk2. I put a lot of the difference down to gearing, but as Ross's experience is different, there's probably more to the ECU than I thought!
[/quote]

Yep 125 miles is the best I have managed and it didn't like it much !  The Brunters engine map is very very rich which means fuel is defiantly being wasted, or more importantly one could get more power by running leaner !

Ben

mobilerobbie

Post by mobilerobbie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:28 pm

That's what I thought as well....
So, if you can have your Pectel remapped so that it runs smooth and better (I really have NO clue why they took out the stationary motor from the inletmanifold..) I'm for sure interested.

But knowing the Rover ECU and also going the same way by changing cylinderhead (allthough not for aa VVC one) I'm still interested in putting the Rover wiringloom back in...

I do not like the traction Control anyhow.....

To Atom120:  my serialno is 026, the old car of Trackclub.com.....

Yes, I know, I followed all the threads last year when it came up for sale, but I paid a price that matches it's looks....
For me, it's just a fun thing next to my Elise.....

BTW: the engine (or better the ignition) cuts in everytime  I hit 2500-3000 RPM, meaning the car holds back on power before accelarating like hell....

Anyone knows what that could be?

I tend to blame everything to the Pectel, but maybe that's not fair....??

Any help is wellcome!

Rob

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:39 pm

[quote="mobilerobbie"]
That's what I thought as well....
So, if you can have your Pectel remapped so that it runs smooth and better (I really have NO clue why they took out the stationary motor from the inletmanifold..) I'm for sure interested.

But knowing the Rover ECU and also going the same way by changing cylinderhead (allthough not for aa VVC one) I'm still interested in putting the Rover wiringloom back in...

I do not like the traction Control anyhow.....

To Atom120:  my serialno is 026, the old car of Trackclub.com.....

Yes, I know, I followed all the threads last year when it came up for sale, but I paid a price that matches it's looks....
For me, it's just a fun thing next to my Elise.....

BTW: the engine (or better the ignition) cuts in everytime  I hit 2500-3000 RPM, meaning the car holds back on power before accelarating like hell....

Anyone knows what that could be?

Any help is wellcome!

Rob

[/quote]

The pectel can defiantly be re-mapped but until I can trace the original author of the map it can't really be done without someone having to start from scratch which would obviously cost more than tweaking the existing map.

My car does sometimes seem to cut at around 2500 rpm but I only really notice that when accelerating from driving constantly at those revs (say leaving a low speed limit) certainly it does not seem to hold things back too much.

As above I really really recommend injector cleaner (naster the better) made a huge difference to how my car runs.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:41 pm

[quote="mobilerobbie"]

[/quote]

I would suggest that you have the worst looked after Atom on the planet!

Any problems you experience are almost certainly down to upbringing rather than genetics.

I'm delighted that it's in the hands of someone who will restore it to health.

I just hope you have the hands of a doctor...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

langhale

Post by langhale » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:17 pm

I thought mine was the worst Bruce....... she's not now though.  ;D .......£7000 later  :(

Would it be possible to swap out the pectel unti and replace with a hydra?  It's what i have in my honda and makes it do things very well and is infinately tunable.  Just a suggestion.  I can put you in touch with a guy who does very well with the hydras but may also have some information on mapping the pectel.  PM me if you would like their details

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:24 pm

[quote="Benem"]
I thought mine was the worst Bruce.......

[/quote]

Don't forget, that car had one careful owner... and two others! :D
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue May 01, 2007 1:22 pm

[quote="mobilerobbie"]

[/quote]

Done a bit more research on this today as I would describe what I have sometimes notices as a slight hesitation rather than the car holding back.  Did repeated runs in different gears from 2000rpm did not see a problem, this suggests it might not be the pectel.

Ben

mobilerobbie

Post by mobilerobbie » Fri May 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Found the solution to the car holding back.....
Changed the Cranksensor and the potentiometer on the Throttle body and all is fine now....

Thats what I like about Rovers...
There somehow 'simple'..... :)