Need help with my MK1 Dash

The original Rover powered Atom 1
wisp

Need help with my MK1 Dash

Post by wisp » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:45 pm

Could anyone please help me identify some of the switches and indicators on my dashboard.

Here is a list of what I have sorted out so far  ???. There are some unknowns.
Please also correct any wrong labelling (which I'm sure will happen anyway  :laugh: )

1 - Trip Meter Reset.
2 - Indicator Switch
3 - Horn
4 - Unknown
5 - Unknown (i.m guessing this was the starter button)
6 - Unknown
7 - Hazard Lighting
8 - Rear red parking light
9 - Front Lights : Off/Park/Low Beam/High Beam.
10 - Ignition Key
11 - Shaft for 5th wheel held by Main Nut.  :laugh:

Thanks
Attachments
dash.JPG
dash.JPG (67.96 KiB) Viewed 1495 times

langhale

Re: Need help with my MK1 Dash

Post by langhale » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:52 pm

4 - Brake bias adjuster
5 - yup , the starter button
6 - ignition on

I think  :)

KK

Post by KK » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:54 pm

Hi Wisp,
this is my first post and I hope I am able to help - although I do not own an Atom yet.

Mine's on order (deposit paid in September) in the U.K. and I should get it March/April time. It will be the first Atom 2 in Austria - provided I can register it which I am sure will be a pain in the @ss.

4 is the brake bias adjustment knob
5 is the starter
6 - no idea

At least this is what I have seen and what was explained to me on the MK2 dashboard when I visited the factory in September. Hope that helps.

Best reagards,

Klaus

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:55 pm

8 - rear fog light.

Who did the starter switch?  I wonder if it was done in NZ?

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:18 pm

The ignition could have been fitted here (NZ) or in Australia. The history is that the car went UK to Oz. Did about 7000 Km then was shipped to NZ (first registered at 7074 KM). When I got it yesterday it had 7445 Km on the clock.

Having the ignition barrel obviously makes 5 redundant. If 6 is "ignition on" then the same would apply.

Thanks for 8 John. In really thick fog, would you drive with this on or is it for parking? We normally just rely on the two tail lights.

4 - Should this have a mechanical cable attached?

Very good Klaus. Will that be just in time for Spring :) ? Good luck with the registration.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:31 pm

[quote="wisp"]
4 - Should this have a mechanical cable attached?
[/quote]

4. Yes it should - a cable to the brake bias adjuster - looks like this:
Attachments
brake bias.jpg
brake bias.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:33 pm

[quote="wisp"]
In really thick fog, would you drive with this on or is it for parking? We normally just rely on the two tail lights.

[/quote]

Fog - and especially rain, It's pretty bright. The Atom is so low and difficult to see that any help in 'difficult' conditions is welcome.

KK

Post by KK » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Very good Klaus. Will that be just in time for Spring Smiley ? Good luck with the registration.
Should work out for Spring - at least that's the plan. Idea is to pick the car up with a lorry and transport it over to Austria. Assuming that there is some delay the current schedule would be to pick it up in the last week of April.

Re pickup: could somebody confirm to me that the following dimensions would be sufficient to load and transport the car? NOTE: all measurements are in millimeters. In particular the width is something I need to understand. Lorry would be rented and it would not be ideal if I were over there just to find out the the car does not fit in.

length mm: 4200 (i.e. 4.2 m) - pretty sure that that's o.k.
width mm: 2000 (i.e. 2 m) - not sure on that
height mm: 2200 (i.e. 2.2 m) - absolutely certain that that's o.k.

Many thanks,

Klaus

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:53 pm

[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus]"]
Re pickup: could somebody confirm to me that the following dimensions would be sufficient to load and transport the car? NOTE: all measurements are in millimeters. In particular the width is something I need to understand. Lorry would be rented and it would not be ideal if I were over there just to find out the the car does not fit in.

length mm: 4200 (i.e. 4.2 m) - pretty sure that that's o.k.
width mm: 2000 (i.e. 2 m) - not sure on that
height mm: 2200 (i.e. 2.2 m) - absolutely certain that that's o.k.

Many thanks,

Klaus
[/quote]

This is from Bruce's Fact Sheet for an Atom 2 -
Dimensions
Length: 3410mm
Track (front and rear): 1600mm
Height: 1195mm
Wheelbase: 2345mm
Width: 1798mm
Dry weight - 456kgs

I know, when we were making room in the garage, the minimum space required for the Mk1 to fit was 3500mm X 1900 mm.

KK

Post by KK » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:09 pm

Dimensions
Dry weight - 456kgs

I know, when we were making room in the garage, the minimum space required for the Mk1 to fit was 3500mm X 1900 mm.
So does this mean that an MK1 is wider than an MK2 - 1900mm versus 1789.  ??? The obvious difference between the two measurements is more than 10 cm!

Or does the width stated in Bruce's fact sheet not coincide with the overall width of the car? e.g. mirrors / tyres or anything else? Sorry for being picky here, but the van body does not forgive a single mm - it eithe fits or it does not.

Klaus

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:55 pm

No idea. Best ask the factory. Or get Ben or Andrew to get a tape measure out!

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 pm

Just quickly measured my Atom 2:-

Dimensions
Length: 3370mm (3730mm with Aerofoils fitted)
Width: 1830mm (to outside of rear mudguards/16" tyres)
Height: 1135mm (1160mm with Aerofoils fitted)
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:15 pm

I understand that Simon is coming out with updated specs. When he does, I'll include them...

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:01 pm

1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus] wrote:
Dimensions
Dry weight - 456kgs

So does this mean that an MK1 is wider than an MK2 - 1900mm versus 1789.  ??? The obvious difference between the two measurements is more than 10 cm!

Or does the width stated in Bruce's fact sheet not coincide with the overall width of the car? e.g. mirrors / tyres or anything else? Sorry for being picky here, but the van body does not forgive a single mm - it eithe fits or it does not.

Klaus
No it's most likely not wider, but I wanted to give myself a bit of clearance. If the inside of your van is at least 1900 wide, you won't be scraping anything. :)

Alec's measurements of actual car size sound pretty good. :tu:

KK

Post by KK » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:03 pm

Alec - many thanks for measuring your Atom 2. By the looks of it it should fit into the lorry.
wisp - thanks for re-confirming Alec's measurement, that gives re-assurance.

Nevertheless I will liaise with the factory nearer to the time and will keep you posted on the dimensions I receive from them.

Bruce - I am definitely not up to date with all the names  :( - but who is Ben or Andrew? If I might guess Ben could  be Benem, but Andrew - no idea. Or have I missed something?

For all you experienced posters this might look like a silly question, but given that the first names of people are not really displayed it is sometimes difficult to see who someone else referers to when using first names. I have tried to avoid this by including my real first name using brackets after my forum name e.g. [Klaus]. I guess this could make sense for other people as well, especially those using some other forum name. Obviously this is not necessary for the likes like Bruce (Fielding) - not only because he is the president of the AAOC and therefore well known to the audience but also because he anyway uses his (real) name for display purposes.

Might be an idea to consider ...

Regards,

Klaus