K-series water pump and cam belt replacement

The original Rover powered Atom 1
benyeats

K-series water pump and cam belt replacement

Post by benyeats » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:53 pm

Spotted a big puddle on the garage floor last week, ignored it as it was next to an upturned watering can......

.......moved the car to do my pre-track day check over yesterday and noticed that the water was not from the watering can (easy mistake to make as that watering can is usually used for coolant top ups)

Tracked the leak down and it looked highly likely to be the water pump.  Removed the cam cover and yep it was probably the water pump.  No track day for me.

This morning got over to the MG owners club and bought a new cam belt, water pump and cam tensioner then the fun started.

Removing the old belt was not too tricky with a few tricks required:

i)  Get the proper cam locking tool from Rover
ii)  The lower crank shaft bolt can be removed by putting the car in fifth gear and putting the handbrake on, this saves buying the Rover flywheel locking tool

Removed the water pump and replaced, also removed the upper engine mount to remove the old belt, not before marking a few key teeth to aid in setting up the new one (photos of some of this to follow when I can be arsed)

Got the new belt on but am struggling to get the tension set correctly, left it for the day.

Ben

benyeats

Re: K-series water pump and cam belt replacement

Post by benyeats » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Got the job finished over the weekend and took the car for a decent test drive today, no problems and more importantly no massive engine failure!

Also over the weekend made up a protective skid plate for the cooling pipes that run under the centre of the car (were looking a bit scraped) also finally got my front mudguard mount repaired instead of the jubilee clip / padding repair that has been used for the last year or so.

I also did a lot of testing of my coolant fan which did not seem to be turning on, all electrical tests point to the system being OK but the dash temperature indicator being rubbish.  Will take some bravery to confirm this as it will mean going to an indicated temperature of over 110deg C !

Ben

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:31 am

Ben, suggest using a resistor plugged into your harness in place of the sensor.  Find one that gives you the right resistance and there is no reason to even turn the engine on

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Ben, suggest using a resistor plugged into your harness in place of the sensor.  Find one that gives you the right resistance and there is no reason to even turn the engine on
[/quote]

Sorry missed this somehow.  That is exactly what I did, tuned a variable resistor until the fan came on.  Point being the resistance I measured equates to an indicated dash temp of 110deg.  Wisp has confirmed his fan comes on at 107ish so perhaps that is not too far out of line.

Did a further test run last night with new coolant in the system.  Car is running well and the belt did not snap when given a lot of emergency start testing (rather it went close to home than on a forthcoming road trip)

New headlights also fitted (same as the old factory fit hard headlights)

Ben

sportyking

Post by sportyking » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Ben,

as you know, you can change what dash temp is indicated by adjusting the sensor values in your dash.
I had to re-set mine after a particularly cold snap seemed to wipe the dash internal memory.
I inserted some base settings kindly provided by another forum member.  Then I checked the sensor reading with the engine cold and compared it against ambient temp to fine tune.  It may not be perfect but it appears pretty close now.

That reminds me, I may have to take you up on your offer to help me re-set my recorded mileage that went back to zero at the same time.  I have had so little time with the car it's still not sorted.  Maybe at the factory day of Atom X?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:49 pm

[quote="sportyking"]
Ben,

as you know, you can change what dash temp is indicated by adjusting the sensor values in your dash.
I had to re-set mine after a particularly cold snap seemed to wipe the dash internal memory.
I inserted some base settings kindly provided by another forum member.  Then I checked the sensor reading with the engine cold and compared it against ambient temp to fine tune.  It may not be perfect but it appears pretty close now.

That reminds me, I may have to take you up on your offer to help me re-set my recorded mileage that went back to zero at the same time.  I have had so little time with the car it's still not sorted.  Maybe at the factory day of Atom X?
[/quote]

Bugger.  The time to do that would have been when I had no coolant in the car, I could have taken the sensor out of the engine and put it in some boiling water to see the reading at actual 100deg C.  Hmm wonder if I have a spare dash temp sensor in stock, I seem to recall there is one in my Rugby kit bag from some reason....