Gloves, which ones?

John Lloyd

Gloves, which ones?

Post by John Lloyd » Fri May 15, 2009 7:26 pm

I usually use karting gloves an Alpinestars neo pro glove described as "designed as a wet weather karting and general all purpose mechanics glove."  I also use, in the summer, Sparco "Tide".

I'm looking to buy some new gloves and although the Alpinestars are good once wet my hands get very cold.

So what does everone else use, particularly for the winter time?

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Re: Gloves, which ones?

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri May 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Sealskinz in winter, John. Their gloves are waterproof and windproof, so you don't get chilled hands at speed. They're also not bulky like motorcycle gloves, so you can still feel all the controls. Really impressed with them after a year's use.

http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProd ... 1,0,0,1|44|

In summer I just stick on a pair of very close fitting, lightweight mountain bike gloves.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri May 15, 2009 8:00 pm

This liner glove looks good too

http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProd ... ,1%7C44%7C

I've actually got a pair of their socks I use for the Atom, never knew they did gloves  :doh:

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 pm

I have a pair of Sparcos for when I'm on track, otherwise I have a cheap pair of winter leather motorcycle gloves without all the hard bits.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri May 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Ski gloves are best for winter, I find...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat May 16, 2009 12:31 am

I use snowmobile gloves.  They have long sleeves with drawstrings, so you can keep water from running up your sleeves as well.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:16 am

Hard to beat these . . .

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... _81091.jpg[/img]

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sat May 16, 2009 8:44 am

Randy,

Loving the "A" on the glove.  :)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat May 16, 2009 9:25 am

You are taking the wrong approach to glove purchasing.  I recommend Clare's approach which is:

i)  Watch a Grand Prix for about five minutes despite not being interested
ii) Identify which gloves Lewis / Jenson are wearing
iii) Insist I buy her a pair for when she drives the Atom despite them costing more than some cars I have owned
iv) Wear infrequently

Note: step iii) will have to be modified as I won't be buying you a pair as well.

I have Alpinestars which are designed for open race cars (actually per ii above) and they are much warmer than the Sparco karting gloves I used to use.  Can also suggest getting them slightly too big so you can fit a fleece lining glove in winter.

Ben

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sat May 16, 2009 10:11 am

Ben,

Is that not the approach women take for all shopping, just change step one to "read fashion mag' see usless piece of clothing for lots of money go off and buy it" Move straight to step 4.  :D

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat May 16, 2009 11:04 am

[quote="John Lloyd"]
So what does everone else use, particularly for the winter time?
[/quote]

I have a pair of G-Force G1 gloves.

I get a kick out of showing people the warning label, which starts: "Racing is dangerous. Incidents will occur resulting in injury and death in best conditions..."

Not may occur, but will occur. And not injury or death, but injury and death. In the best conditions. Apparently in the worst conditions you might die more than once. :o

In all seriousness, they have a complete line of gloves ranging from the light G1 through heavier gloves with higher SFI ratings.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:04 am

I use a pair of nomex flight gloves. Lambs skin smooth but also very warm in the winter and great in the summer , also great for picking up small items.

http://www.botachtactical.com/blarsknoflgl.html

Worked very well during my USAF years in the cold winters of South Dakota.

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:17 am

I also use the sealskinz. I've been very impressed by them for winter use.

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:26 pm

[quote="wasp"]
I also use the sealskinz.
[/quote]

SealSkinz work great in driving rain, but I've had problems finding a size that fits properly.  Medium is so tight I often find it cuts off circulation and causes my fingers to fall asleep, but large is so big that there's an inch of left-over room on the tip of each finger.  Has anyone else had this experience, or did I just end up with a bad quality-control experience?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 pm

[quote="Lane"]
[quote="wasp"]
I also use the sealskinz.
[/quote]

SealSkinz work great in driving rain, but I've had problems finding a size that fits properly.  Medium is so tight I often find it cuts off circulation and causes my fingers to fall asleep, but large is so big that there's an inch of left-over room on the tip of each finger.  [/quote]

My pair are large and I've had no problems at all. Maybe I have the hands of a freak though, it would explain a lot :D

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris