Super-lightweight helmets...anyone have the HJC HX-11 or..??

atomathics

Re: Super-lightweight helmets...anyone have the HJC HX-11 or..??

Post by atomathics » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:23 am

[quote="Curator"]
Back of the shell looks no different than any other. It's all about catch phrases today.
[/quote]

Well, I can't vouch for what pictures you might be looking at -- it might be difficult to compare based on pictures alone.

The IVOS doesn't pinch against the back of the HANS, but my old helmet does.  The cut is different, and it's the highest cut helmet in the back that I've tried.

a
Last edited by atomathics on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:05 pm

[quote="Marcus"]
I'm not sure what "developed around the hans system" means.
Hans devices and helmets are developed around the human.
I think they are just marketing (correctly) to safety minded consumers.
[/quote]

I noticed at least one, albiet small Hans specific design detail. The foam liner has a molded in pocket under each Hans anchor point and extending to the lower edge of the helmet. This allows the anchors to be inserted and tightened without displacing or 'bruising' the liner. Small, but noticeable detail. I really like mine.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu May 14, 2009 3:47 am

[quote="Curator"]
Going with this helmet...   made in the USA ;)

Image   Simpson Stingray
[/quote]

I was looking at the Stingray versus the Devilray today.  Really like the fit on the Stingray, but it's cut a little higher in the chin than the Devilray, which makes me concerned about helmet lift.  Any thoughts on lift now that you've had the helmet?  In the store I really liked it.  And for those shopping, the Simpson store has Stingrays on sale for $599 and Devilrays for $899.

About the made in the US thing, that was a big attraction to buying this helmet, but when I peeled back the liner, the tag said "Made in China".  Bummer, because even the shop sales staff said they were made in Texas.  Does yours say it was made in the US?  I'm wondering if they moved production...

a

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu May 14, 2009 11:06 am

Mine says made in the USA on it. Light and comfy.I have never experienced any helmet lift in my Atom. I did not try on a Devilray. $600 is a steal!

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu May 14, 2009 7:23 pm

[quote="Curator"]
Mine says made in the USA on it. Light and comfy.I have never experienced any helmet lift in my Atom. I did not try on a Devilray. $600 is a steal!
[/quote]

Yes, it's a crazy good price.  I double-checked with Simpson on the phone today and they're making the CF helmets in China... too bad.

However, they do make all their firesuits in the US.  When I went to the store, there's a window to peek through onto the factory floor -- it's HUGE!

a

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu May 14, 2009 8:24 pm

OOps...I did not realize I had bought a Devil-Ray. I guess that is a Stingray,carbon fiber.

That is too bad about th helmets being made in China :'(

I guess all we will soon "make" in this country is corn and pot... :-X

twebb

Post by twebb » Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 pm

I spent a great deal of time at the last two Performance Racing Industry (PRI) researching safety gear.  There were a number of very high quality products, but ultimately I could find no better than Stand21.

I ended up buying all of my gear from them including the helmet.  Their products are very well designed and implemented.  The service is second tp none. 

The deal clincher on the helmet was the fit.  You can custom fit the liner so that the fit is where you want it.  Whether you have a long, wide or flat head, Stand21 can set up the helmet to get a perfect fit.  That is not the case with most of the other helmet manufacturers. 

Are they more expensive, yes.  ARe the helmets lighter, yes.  In this case you get what you pay for.

Oh...one more thing.  I'm now on my 2nd Stand21 suit.  My old drivers suit had a zipper malfunction.  I returned it to Stand21 to be replaced.  The suit was about 6 years yound at the time.  To my suprise, they replaced the zipper free of charge.

Tim