Super-lightweight helmets...anyone have the HJC HX-11 or..??

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Super-lightweight helmets...anyone have the HJC HX-11 or..??

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:16 am

Eddie,I can't use the AC-12,as it is not SA rated,and won't pass tech.

The HJC-Si is indeed a super-light helmet,and about $250 cheaper than the HX-12. Uglier for sure...but then again,no one would probably run off with it either.

Hmm....can you ever have too many helmets? ;D

Thanks for all the responses.I do believe I will go with the Si-12. The same place will sell me one for $500,shipped. Ugly,yes...but it's predrilled for a Hans,lighter,and I really don't care that much about looks.

Can't see it while I'm wearing it... ;)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:52 am

Going with this helmet...  made in the USA ;)  Image  Simpson Stingray

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:57 am

That looks good too, although the visor loos somehow photoshopped!

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:11 pm

I bought a Simpson Stingray last month - I love it.

[img width=800 height=534]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... G_8103.jpg[/img]
Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Nevermind...
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:09 pm

[quote="Wmcmanus"]
Nevermind...
[/quote]

Just a teaser . . .

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:58 pm

Randy,are you happy with it? I am just about to do the deal. I am going for a large,based on a head measure of 23".

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:00 pm

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="Wmcmanus"]
Nevermind...
[/quote]

Just a teaser . . .
[/quote]

Ok, gotcha.  Simpson seems to have recently added some larger sizes for some of their helmets, including the Diamondback which is now available in an 8 and 8 1/8 (one of which is bound to fit me).  Plus, they now offer it in chrome (at a $300 surcharge), although I like the silver one just as much.  See the lower right pic: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products ... 4671&sort=

Since I'm always changing body panel colors, I'd need to stick with neutral helmet colors (white, black, silver, or chrome).
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:44 pm

[quote="Curator"]
Randy,are you happy with it? I am just about to do the deal. I am going for a large,based on a head measure of 23".
[/quote]

I'm very happy with the helmet. I'm pulling a sustained 2G's (spiking higher) and was having some neck strain and had been using a Bell bike helmet. The Simpson fits great and is much lighter. Snap out interior is also nice and I don;t get any helmet lift as long as I have the chin strap adequately snug. I purchased mine from SafeRacer.com since they are about an hour from my house and had several brands in stock. The Simpson won out over Bell, Arai and Impact, based mostly on weight and fit. The visors are thicker than those on typical bike helmets too.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks,Randy. My whole intention was to get the weight down,and the Simpson is within an ounce of the lightest out there.

I have placed my order. I got it for $700 with shipping,in CF finish.

I am trying my best to buy products made in the USA. 20 years ago,I said it was important. Now I know just how important it really has become.

If we,as citizens of the USA, do not support our own manufacturers,who will? Want to know where all those jobs went? Look no further than the products we all purchase.

This year I will be driving on Hoosiers as well. It may seem like too little,too late,or just plain pissing in the wind...but I really am going to change my buying habbits to the best of my ability.

And try to persuade every person I know,who might care, to do the same.

It is do or die time. I don't have anything against other countries or their products, but if we are to continue as a viable culture,we had better stop pouring all our wealth out of the country.  :-\

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:55 am

Really hard to do when the majority of one's household products are made elsewhere. Try finding a consumer electronics device made in the US, most you can do is find one made by a US Company, manufactured in Mexico.  ::) I don't think anyone on the US even makes a TV here anymore, even Vizio gets their panels from elsewhere. But I do get your point. We will not make it if we stick to the "US is a white collar only culture" mentality. It's one of the things that has led us to this point. We all sat back in the 80's and 90's and allowed it as jobs got shipped to Mexico. NAFTA traffic is clogging our interstates (I-35) and we're getting tolled (at least in Austin) for roads we paid for decades ago because our politicians allowed overseas companies to come in and put toll booths on them. Some company out of Kuwait gets something like 50% of the money generated. It's despicable. It's layer upon layer of politicians and greedy wall street types selling our futures down the drain for short term gains.

But yeah, Buy Amercan and even better, LOCAL.... if you can.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:15 am

It is hard..I agree. But we must try, more than ever. I tried to buy a small generator for my trailer,and even the ONE USA built model I found,a Briggs,had a Mitsubishi engine. In some cases,it will be the lesser of evils.

It is hard.  However,I now ask myself with every purchase, "Will the money I spend today EVER come back to me?"

With every imported purchase you make, you give a small portion of our countries economy to someone else,in another country. They are not buying our products. Many of them are buying our real estate, though. :-\

I do not wish to slight anyone,but there comes a time when you have to realize the importance of ones actions.

It really does make a difference...

dial911

Post by dial911 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:47 am

Exactly the reason I'm buying Hoosiers for my next set of tires  :tu:

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:28 am

My dream helmet would be a Stand 21 IVOS: http://www.stand21.fr/casques/ivos/ivos-2.html  Of course it's $1,750 even before you do anything to customize the look, and it's French made.  But only 1,355 grams (48 ounces) and as comfortable as can be given that they custom fit it to your head and have all sorts of options for the various pads.

I'd also consider an Arai GP-5 (about $1,800 if predrilled with HANS posts) if ever they decided to make one big enough for my head.  The Arai Profile motorcycle helmet goes for less than $500 and comes in a XXXL size, but is not what I'm looking for.  Of course this is a Japanese company.  Hard to buy American products all the time.
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:09 am

"Exactly the reason I'm buying Hoosiers for my next set of tires"  Excellent decision. Now, convince others to follow your lead.

I love Kumho V710 tires. Some of my best times have been driving on them.  However...they are made in Korea.

This year I will be on Hoosiers as well :tu:

To rebuild our economy begins with the people who can influence it the most...We The People.

If you think none of it matters,shame on you.