Super-lightweight helmets...anyone have the HJC HX-11 or..??

Heywood-Yablowme

Super-lightweight helmets...anyone have the HJC HX-11 or..??

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:32 pm

I can buy one of these HJC CF super-lightweight helmets for $750 shipped,on a deal,and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or any other lightweight SA (car rated) helmet.  This full face helmet weighs 1/2 of what my current G-Force does.Excellent reviews,but no one I know has one.
I don't need to hear about how much they cost..and what a waste of money it is...I just want opinions on the one you own or have personally used.Thanks.

HJC HX-11..Image

NathanE

Re: Super-lightweight helmets...anyone have the HJC HX-11 or..??

Post by NathanE » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:19 pm

I don't own one or have personally used one, but it won't stop me chipping in  ;D

It certainly looks pretty nice. 

It strikes me that the apeture is quite large for a car helmet though, is this one designed for bikes?

To be honest a motorsport approved car helmet in the UK is at least £400 nowadays, so $750 for this seems pretty good. 

You know that fit is crucial I'm sure, that's what has put me off mail order helmets in the past. 

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Nice,

this company does a few carbon helmets

HJC HQ-1 Carbon=£299
â?¢HJC's unique removable Aquatrans moisture wicking liner featuring open cell technology foam
â?¢Superior CAD developed fit and form
â?¢Removable breath guard and chin curtain
â?¢Quick release anti-fog visor
â?¢ACS Advanced Channeling System for intelligent 7 point ventilation
â?¢Double D-ring retention
â?¢There shell sizes
â?¢Super-light weight carbon fibre shell
â?¢Safety standard ECE22.05
â?¢ACU Gold standard for use on the track
â?¢5 star SHARP rating

George

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm

I have had a look at the carbon bike helmet and it seemed very well made and unbeatable for the money.  Never seen one to fit my watermelon sized head tho

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:54 pm

The HX-11 is designed for open cockpit cars. You could use it on a bike,I suppose..but it is intended for cars,and has an SA2005 rating. HJC also makes some snazzy bike super-lightweight helmets.

My other helmets are all larges,and one is an older HJC..so I'm pretty sure a medium won't do it,and I'll be swimming in an XL.

Thanks for the imputs! :tu:   I have to give them an answer by the end of today.They only have two left at this price.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:08 am

[quote="benyeats"]
I have had a look at the carbon bike helmet and it seemed very well made and unbeatable for the money.  Never seen one to fit my watermelon sized head tho
[/quote]

That's the same problem I have.  I've seen these HJC helmets and actually had one in my hands.  Loved it so much that I just had to try it on, even knowing that it wouldn't fit.  Wished I hadn't!  My ears nearly got torn trying to pry the thing off of my noggin!  $750 seems about right, as I recall.  I don't think it retails for much more than that, does it?

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 am

:)
We have the HJC AC-12, his and hers,(we sell them through our www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com motorcycle store), and we both love them! :tu:

Eddie :)

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:45 am

And we like the way they look, too! :tu:

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:48 am

Another view-

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:30 am

[quote="Mr.Toad"]
It strikes me that the apeture is quite large for a car helmet though, is this one designed for bikes?
[/quote]

If you're referring to the eye opening, is that considered large?  My eyeglasses are by no means large, but getting them on and able to sit on my face correctly through a helmet opening is a problem on most helmets.  I ended up choosing a Pyrotect model specifically because it could accomodate them.

Doesn't seem like most helmets are designed with eyewear in mind, which doesn't seem like it would take all that much effort.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:24 am

[quote="Curator"]
I don't need to hear about how much they cost..and what a waste of money it is...I just want opinions on the one you own or have personally used.Thanks.
[/quote]

I've tried the HX-10 in the store and it seems quite nice -- great fit for me, but that's completely personal.

The HX-10 has an advantage in that the interior padding is removeable (therefore washable).

Not really sure how the HX-11 justifies the $200 price upcharge over the HX-10.  It looks like it has fancier ventilation, but it's hard to believe that that and permanently installed padding are all that separate the two, but that is what I was told when I called HJC.

Also, the lightest they make is neither of the HX-series carbon helmets, but the Si-12.

a

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:26 am

[quote="Lane"]
[quote="Mr.Toad"]
[/quote]

If you're referring to the eye opening, is that considered large?  My eyeglasses are by no means large, but getting them on and able to sit on my face correctly through a helmet opening is a problem on most helmets.  I ended up choosing a Pyrotect model specifically because it could accomodate them.

Doesn't seem like most helmets are designed with eyewear in mind, which doesn't seem like it would take all that much effort.
[/quote]

I can't get my specs on with my car helmet, but what the heck, it gives me an excuse for missing apices!

Actually I just wear contact lenses. 

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 am

I tried to find glasses that work with a lid... I wonder if half-moon but set to distance would work?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Rob McPherson

Post by Rob McPherson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:11 am

If not, you could always do your knitting whilst you wait for the next corner...  8)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:20 am

750 - can I get one too? I have one of their non CF models and I love it. I especially like that their liners are (at least) partially removable.