Tom Tom advice

jon b

Tom Tom advice

Post by jon b » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:21 pm

My dad does a lot of driving, courier work in his retirement. Would like to get him a tom tom to replace his old navman

Has anyone looked into this recently. I suppose little over £100 , good traffic info plus post code searches are musts
Cheers
Jon B

jonno

Re: Tom Tom advice

Post by jonno » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Have a look at the Garmin systems, they seem to have the best mapping and traffic update system at the mo, we sell far more of them than the Tom Toms.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:06 pm

The wife bought a Tom Tom for xmas for herself. I borrowed it the other day..and if it were mine...would be somewhere on Rt84 in NY >:(

;D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Modern tomtoms - even the most basic, are just brilliant. Traffic info, mapping, etc. they are the best I've used - and I have used the Garmin in London. It's good, but not as intuitive in my view as the tomtom..

I think that it's the dutch sense of humour getting all the US stuff wrong!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:14 pm

I don't know who programs the thing...but it insisted I take a right at least 1/2 mile before I should have.Unfortunately for me,there was a road there... and try as I may...I kept taking turns and being rerouted till the thing finally said "YOU,sir are the most impatient bastard I have ever met"!  ;D

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 am

Apart from when they turn you right - on a no right turn - and you get felt up by the feds for doing so - they're great!

Seriously, I've used a few and the TomTom's rock  :tu:

Cheap as chips now, too.

Cheers, Hedge

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:08 am

Cheers chaps  :tu: - sounds like Tom Tom is the way to go

London is probably the best test for a nav system in the world - all those small, winding streets.  Funnily enough, i used to be head of development for Nav systems for a major car manufacturer but that was way back in the late 90's/ early 00's. Things changed a lot post 2001 with the introduction of much more accurate data for the UK and better GPS.

But I am well out of touch nowadays  :-\

Are there major differences/ advantages with the £300 + Tom Tom vs the £100 models? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... -tom%20tom

He is ONLY interested in UK coverage, up to date data, Post Code search and good traffic info
:pop:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 am

[quote="jon b"]
Funnily enough, i used to be head of development for Nav systems for a major car manufacturer but that was way back in the late 90's/ early 00's. Things changed a lot post 2001 with the introduction of much more accurate data for the UK and better GPS.

But I am well out of touch nowadays  :-\

[/quote]

And so are Volvo Satnav systems - Mine is a brand new £2k option and I'd rather use the £200 tomtom.

Please don't let's get into how sh1t the Volvo RTS system is...

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 am

[quote="jon b"]
He is ONLY interested in UK coverage, up to date data, Post Code search and good traffic info
[/quote]

He only requires the basic one then  :tu:
Could take your chances on FleBay? Might get lucky, but then they only cost about a soup in Halfrauds now anyway.

Cheers, Hedge

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 pm

I just bought the 730 but would say 530 would fit the bill for you (same unit just UK not europe afaik). You could go for the 540 which has the traffic updates but I had no interest in that. These models have the better routing and lane guidance on them and few extra functions he probably wont use, compared to the cheaper ones.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 pm

I have several TomToms I think they are great, one problem though is that you cannot register more than one on your account, so if I want to do an update on a TomTom I have to log in as the person that that particular one is registered to, so I have to keep track of which is whose.

Very irritating.

They are bloody good though, intuitive, fast and pretty accurate.

They get confused by Holborn viaduct, asking me to do a right turn which would involve a 50ft drop!

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:56 pm

I believe they've sorted that problem - but I have the same issue with two tom toms, too.

I just guess first and if I'm wrong I use the other login...

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
I just bought the 730 but would say 530 would fit the bill for you (same unit just UK not europe afaik). You could go for the 540 which has the traffic updates but I had no interest in that. These models have the better routing and lane guidance on them and few extra functions he probably wont use, compared to the cheaper ones.
[/quote]

Cheers Trig

Which one is the 530 and 540 on this list? - what prices?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... -tom%20tom

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 pm

GO 530: £195 at Halfords -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165685

Actually thats pretty good price - Amazon is way cheaper than Halfords for other models but the 530 is similar.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Hmmmmmm..... its not christmas

Anything for around £100 that would do?

cheers  :pop: