Lap Timers

John H

Lap Timers

Post by John H » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:40 pm

I was thinking about getting one. I know most track day organisers tell you not to use them etc, but I personally don't see the harm in it as I am a responsible 41 year old who knows he is only ever going to be able to beat himself round a track....or John Lloyd.
so anyway........any recommendations and does anyone know if they work with the P.I. master beacons on tracks, or do they switch them off on trackdays?
Does anyone use anything like this too
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/gtech.htm

looks like a fun gadget
cheers

wisp

Re: Lap Timers

Post by wisp » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:53 am

:o    ....for a minute there I thought it read 'dancers'.  :laugh:

John H

Post by John H » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:00 am

[quote="wisp"]
:o    ....for a minute there I thought it read 'dancers'.  :laugh:

[/quote]
I post way quicker times on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heh

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:45 pm

[quote="John H"]
I personally don't see the harm in it
[/quote]

If the TDO is discovered by any insurer to have ANYONE timing laps on a trackday, it invalidates EVERYONE'S insurance and makes it unlikely that the TDO will be able to get indemnity insurance from then on - EVER. Not only that but anyone who already has insurance will not be allowed to insure their car on any track days organised by that TDO EVER.

See the harm now?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Blimey.

Clear enough, John?

John H

Post by John H » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:48 pm

[quote="Hedge"]
Blimey.

Clear enough, John?
Yep.........crystal.....................still getting one though!

[/quote]

John H

Post by John H » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:49 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="Hedge"]
Blimey.

Clear enough, John?
Yep.........crystal.....................still getting one though!

[/quote]
[/quote]
Oh Ok..................... I won't then.........just you and your sundial again Hedge.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:14 pm

If they're that goofy about it over there, then use a DV video camera and look at the time index.  It will tell you what you're doing for lap times pretty accurately.

Or will that jeopardize insurance also?  ::)
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:41 pm

So long as you don't look at it until afterwards.

Same goes for dataloggers. So long as you don't have a laptop with you, there's no problem.

But I didn't exaggerate. It really is a big issue, and you WILL get black flagged and sent home if discovered, and anyone seeing you doing it WILL shop you as you will be be putting everyone at risk of loss.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:21 am

AFAIK the beacons are disabled on track days, and any that drivers put on pit walls are considered the property of the TDO to sell on as second hand!

Go do your ARDS and book into test days if you want to start testing.  It's not that hard or expensive. 

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Does a gsm logger like VirtualCup on a pocketPC or a Drift box also qualifies? Say the screen is hidden or not visible to the driver...

Im not asking to nag, just to know how you could in the end know whether your track times are improving or not... Something everyone is interested in...

There's always the videos naturally but these are not allowed on the ring for example or ultimately someone who can time you but which is much less accurate...

I know in Spa-Francorchamps or Hockenheim they dont check anything. At the ring they check for cameras.

Any of the above of course wont prevent you from crashing if you time your lap on some hot blond in the stands...

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:20 pm

[quote="MonsieurX"]
Does a gsm logger like VirtualCup on a pocketPC or a Drift box also qualifies? Say the screen is hidden or not visible to the driver...

Im not asking to nag, just to know how you could in the end know whether your track times are improving or not... Something everyone is interested in...

There's always the videos naturally but these are not allowed on the ring for example or ultimately someone who can time you but which is much less accurate...

I know in Spa-Francorchamps or Hockenheim they dont check anything. At the ring they check for cameras.

Any of the above of course wont prevent you from crashing if you time your lap on some hot blond in the stands...
[/quote]

In France the rules are more relaxed - you can even overtake in corners!

This is just on UK track days - which are supposed just to be for fun.

If you are serious, follow Nathan's advice and get a race license and go to test days where you can use anything you like - and overtake wherever you want.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:29 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="MonsieurX"]

[/quote]

In France the rules are more relaxed - you can even overtake in corners!

This is just on UK track days - which are supposed just to be for fun.

If you are serious, follow Nathan's advice and get a race license and go to test days where you can use anything you like - and overtake wherever you want.
[/quote]

Well, I didn't mention France as they have stricter rules than Belgium or Germany. For example in french Karting, if there is an orange light, EVERYONE must stop their karts which is rather ridiculous except when there is a bad accident...

Must be something about these policed-states where you can have fun but cannot monitor it!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I woudl get a license but it's hardly any use unless you have a race car, time(!) and sponsors...

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:10 pm

I have a performancebox http://www.performancebox.co.uk/  It does everything via GPS.  it records everything and then you can analyze it afterward on the computer.  Lap times, split times, G forces, etc

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 pm

The club owns a Gtech which members are entitled to use for a nominal fee...

http://www.gtechpro.co.uk/

Features inlcude:

Road Racing/Autocross
RR stands for Road Racer. It has all of the features of the SS model plus Road Racing/Autocross mode in which you can record and replay your Gs and RPMs for a given practice or race session.

PASS Software
PASS - Performance Analysis System Software. It can be used for replaying and comparing 1/4 mile runs or for replaying Road Race/Autocross sessions. It even replays engine sound based on recorded RPMs.

Multiple Vehicle Support
With the RR model you can memorize settings for up to 4 cars and jump from one to another in a matter of seconds.

2hr Data Aquisition
RR model comes with 2 Megs of FLASH. This is enough to store over two hours of Road Racing/Autocross sessions (10 Hz recording.) That's more than full-blown data-acquisition systems costing thousands!

PC Download Cable
RR model comes with the PC Download Cable that is used to quickly hook-up to your PC and download all your runs and sessions.

AC Adapter
RR model comes with the AC Adapter so you can power the unit while you are downloading the runs/sessions to your PC. Note: May not be compatible in your country and an additional transformer may have to be purchased (not supplied).

Permanent Mount
RR model comes with the Permanent Mount which allows you to permanently mount the G-TECH/Pro anywhere in your car. The unit itself can still be taken out of its cradle.
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.