Tool kit for Atom?

Wmcmanus

Tool kit for Atom?

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:03 am

If this subject has been discussed in length elsewhere, feel free to redirect me to the appropriate threads.  No need to rehash everything.

What I'm looking for is the "must have" and "would be good to have" and "if you want to have everything you could possibly need" types of lists.  Seems to me that Terry Kennedy did something like this in conjunction with his initial West to East tour.  Maybe bolus has compiled a list of tools as well, or were those torque tolerances?

Anyway, what I need is probably much less sophisticated.  At the moment, I'm trying to remove the roll bar.  No problem with the 9/16th stuff.  Have that in my trusty socket set that Driver helped me pick out at Sears the other day.  It's those other funny looking bolts that are round on the outside and have a hex pattern on the inside.  The ones at the top back of the roll bar that hold it to the back of the hoop over the air intake.  Same goes for the bigger funny looking bolts at the bottom of each arm of the roll bar down by the license plate.

I'm a bookish type and have never had more than a $2 hammer, a multi bit el cheapo do-all screwdriver, and a pair of pliers in my 'tool kit'.  Heck, I even count can openers, WD40 and duct tape as tools.  But I'm willing and (oddly enough) interested in learning. 

The other day I was trying to replace the 4 troublesome blinker assembly stalks with the carbon fiber equivalents that I bought from Brammo several months ago, but couldn't figure that job out either.  The guys at WCA told me that any idiot could do it.  It's just a matter of removing the little red plastic pin and then pulling the two parts of the light grey plastic housing apart.  No problem getting the pin out, but no clue about how to separate the housing (I guess it's the electrical socket).  Since I can't seem to do such a simple task, I guess I'm not just any idiot.  Must be the biggest one ever.

So... back to the reason for this thread.  I'm willing and interested in buying any tools that will help me with every day sorts of tasks related to the Atom.  If it's a job that I can't do myself, at least I'll have the tools that someone else will need to help me.

What I have at the moment is:

190 piece mechanics tool set (Sear's Craftsman).  This is mostly 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive sets with ratchets and sockets plus some odds and ends like combination wrenches, screwdriver bits, nut driver bits, and hex keys (all in both standard and metric).

I've also got a basic (1 each) hammer, pliers, crescent wrench, channel locks, and wire snips.  Oh, and that motorcycle lift that CalScot recommended, so at least I can get my Atom up in the air.

The main thing is getting the tools I need to remove this blasted roll bar, but any other general advice about useful tools would be welcome. 

DarthChicken

Re: Tool kit for Atom?

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 am

You have the basics it sounds like.

You need to get a metric set now, a set of allen keys (metric and imperial), and that's pretty much it.

One thing I would suggest when shopping for craftsman tools, is to check ebay.  Craftsman sells their overstock there, so you can get some great deals on sets.

Here's what bolus and I brought for our OK trip from Oregon.

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,4996.0.html

comprehensive first aid kit
Flashlight with extra batteries (at least 2 extra sets, plus and extra bulb)
water (drinking and for coolant)
spare supercharger/alternator belt (alternator is the important thing)
tire repair kit
lugnut socket
coilover wrench
needlenose plyers (brake calipers, misc)
oil
brake fluid
brake fluid bottle and hose for bleeding
1/8" allen key wrench (all covers on the car)
3/16" allen key wrench (the bolt on the back of the engine cover that attaches to the frame)
zip ties
4mm allen key (shortened to get under coolant resevoir to reach that last pesky bolt to get the plate off to access the sparkplugs)
7/16" open ended wrench (misc bolts, including brake caliper bleeders)
extra clips (the ones used on the panels)
extra 1/8" button head bolts
extra headlight/tailight bulbs
8mm allen key wrench (seats, misc bolts)
vice grips
torque wrench
oil filter wrench
oil filter
3/8" rachet with extensions
rainx
some sort of anti-fog stuff
9/16" socket (misc suspension bolts)
9/16" open ended wrench (misc suspension bolts)
2 large crescent wrenchs (suspension)
15mm socket (oil plug)
3/8" allen key wrench (suspension)
3/4" socket (suspension and engine mounts)
3/4" open ended wrench (engine mounts)
flat head screwdriver (stabbing squirrels)
philips screwdriver (headlight covers, cover to the aftercooler resevoir)
wd40
1/2" socket (misc bolts)
1/2" open ended wrench (misc bolts)
10mm socket (spark plug coils)
spark plug socket
spark plugs
10mm open ended wrench (clutch bleeding)
misc hose clamps
coolant hose of various sizes

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:35 am

Wow!  That was fast and just what I needed.  Of course I don't know what half of that stuff is, but that's Ok.  Learning is always fun. 

Speaking of learning, I've also received a PM telling me that what I need to get the roll bar off are some hex keys (same as allen keys I'm told) that are larger than the ones included in the Craftsman set that I bought last week.  No problem, I'll get that sorted out tomorrow.

Oddly enough, I'm thinking about doing a relatively long trip in the Atom while my motorhome is in for repair (and I get kicked out of it).  I may be leaving as soon as tomorrow from Idaho Falls to Denver (and eventually back).  That promises to be a minimum of 1,500 miles, plus all sorts of wandering around in the mountains while I'm in Colorado.  Thus, your list comes at a good time.  I'll probably parse it down considerably, but it a good place to start.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:12 am

For the Allen bolt holding the rear stays of the roll bar do not get the L-shaped one, get a socket version and use that ratchet. Go back over to that Sears at the mall and get the right size individual one you need. I assume you've already tried the Allen bolts that were in the set. If not get one of the guys/Doug at Powerhouse to show you what size you need. One of their tool chests will have the one you need. SnapOn calls them Socket Drivers, Hex on their site.  If all else fails, stop by ANY tool truck you see sitting by a auto dealer in the Atom and ask them to match it to the bolt in question. It'll look something like this:
Attachments
Socket Driver 14mm Hex.JPG
Socket Driver 14mm Hex.JPG (30 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:59 am

Wmcmanus wrote: What I'm looking for is the "must have" and "would be good to have" and "if you want to have everything you could possibly need" types of lists.  Seems to me that Terry Kennedy did something like this in conjunction with his initial West to East tour.  Maybe bolus has compiled a list of tools as well, or were those torque tolerances?
The tools and spares I keep in the Atom are listed at http://www.tmk.com/atom/spares

I will be compiling a list of "unusual" tools that I have in the shop for working on the Atom and posting it at http://www.tmk.com/atom in the near future. These will be the tools not included in the typical "zillion piece shop toolkit". Here's a rough starter list from memory:

o Safety wire and safety wire pliers
o 1/2" drive 1/2" Allen bit for upright bolts
o 3/8" drive 6" ball-end 12mm Alle for exhaust gasket bolts
o 1/2" impact drive 30mm socket for rear axle bolts
o 1/2" impact drive 15/16" socket for front axle bolts
o 1/2" impact drive 12mm Allen for lug nuts
o Circlip pliers
o Oetiker clamps (assorted sizes) and crimp tool
o OBDII code reader
Anyway, what I need is probably much less sophisticated.  At the moment, I'm trying to remove the roll bar.  No problem with the 9/16th stuff.  Have that in my trusty socket set that Driver helped me pick out at Sears the other day.  It's those other funny looking bolts that are round on the outside and have a hex pattern on the inside.  The ones at the top back of the roll bar that hold it to the back of the hoop over the air intake.  Same goes for the bigger funny looking bolts at the bottom of each arm of the roll bar down by the license plate.
You want an Allen set for a 3/8" drive ratchet. Best to get both SAE and metric. For example, these:

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/bit_s ... part=80578
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/bit_s ... part=80579

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm

YOU NEED HEX WRENCHES.

You can never have enough of these with an Atom...

These are the best impact hex-wrenches I have found.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96225
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96224

The first set is SAE, which are great for things like tightening the upright bolts.
The second set is Metric, which has the 12mm socket for things like tightening the wheel nuts.
(Yes, this is the best way to get a replacement wheel nut tool - and it's all in one with no socket needed.)

You also need decent hand tools, hex wrench set.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946292000P
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946293000P

These are ball-end versions, which gives you more wiggle room when using the tool.

Yes, you have hex wrenches in your mechanics kit, but they're just the generic kind.
The ones listed above will give you much easier to use hand tools and power tool versions.

Talking of power tools - do you have a compressor?
An impact wrench and an air rachet go a long way to make the job easier.

You also need a torque wrench.
I ended up buying two, as I wanted a 200 ftlb one for the axle nuts, and now I don't use the small one.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944597000P

Now that you have the torque wrench, you can tighten the rear axle-nuts.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00994188000P
You need this 30-mm deep socket, and the torque wrench set to 200 ftlb.
Last edited by nickpoore on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mig

Post by Mig » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:12 pm

[quote="Driver"]
For the Allen bolt holding the rear stays of the roll bar do not get the L-shaped one, get a socket version and use that ratchet. Go back over to that Sears at the mall and get the right size individual one you need. I assume you've already tried the Allen bolts that were in the set. If not get one of the guys/Doug at Powerhouse to show you what size you need. One of their tool chests will have the one you need. SnapOn calls them Socket Drivers, Hex on their site.  If all else fails, stop by ANY tool truck you see sitting by a auto dealer in the Atom and ask them to match it to the bolt in question. It'll look something like this:
[/quote]

Mmmmmm do I see a Snap on  allen socket Driver?  quality quality quality :tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:03 pm

[quote="Mig"]
Mmmmmm do I see a Snap on  allen socket Driver?  quality quality quality :tu:[/quote]

Why yes you do. But for Waynes purposes any from Sears Craftsmen, Mac, Cornwell, Matco will also suffice. Generally poor quality tools are never found in a working mechanic's box. They can't afford to have them break off in, strip out or otherwise mess up a paying gig. Speaking of which...

[quote="Nicholas"]
.....harborfreight..[/quote]

Harbor Freight and "BEST" are rarely mentioned in the same sentence. Cheap, yes. Junk, yes. Well maybe "best price" but that's not about the tool. Seriously.. The majority of their stuff (relating to hand tools) is poorly made Taiwan, China (insert 3rd world country) cr@p. Buy high quality tools, they'll last your lifetime. I've NEVER seen a hex head bolt require a IMPACT to assemble it. Manufacturers don't use them in that way as it would be the wrong application of that type of bolt for the job. Of course, I could be wrong although I doubt it. Not meaning to pick on you Nicholas, more of just warning fellow forum members just how bad a cheap tool can ruin your day. It only takes 2 minutes using a bad tool to cause you to spend the next X hours running around trying to extract a broken stud (tight header clearances suck), repairing stripped threads (helicoil in aluminum anyone?), etc... It can be hard enough even with the right tools, why complicate things more just to save a few bucks.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:11 pm

[quote="Driver"]
[quote="Nicholas"]

Harbor Freight and "BEST" are rarely mentioned in the same sentence. Cheap, yes. Junk, yes. Well maybe "best price" but that's not about the tool. Seriously.. The majority of their stuff (relating to hand tools) is poorly made Taiwan, China (insert 3rd world country) cr@p. Buy high quality tools, they'll last your lifetime. I've NEVER seen a hex head bolt require a IMPACT to assemble it. Manufacturers don't use them in that way as it would be the wrong application of that type of bolt for the job. Of course, I could be wrong although I doubt it. Not meaning to pick on you Nicholas, more of just warning fellow forum members just how bad a cheap tool can ruin your day. It only takes 2 minutes using a bad tool to cause you to spend the next X hours running around trying to extract a broken stud (tight header clearances suck), repairing stripped threads (helicoil in aluminum anyone?), etc... It can be hard enough even with the right tools, why complicate things more just to save a few bucks.
[/quote]

Point taken, and I generally don't by HF tools.

But in this particular case, they're the best that I've found, for the job that I needed.
Trying to get a 1/2" hex wrench from Sears was a complete waste of time.
Likewise with Home Depot.
Yes, I could have tracked down a SnapOn truck, but HF was just easy.

As to never using a hex-socket with an impact tool - it's the easiest way to get my wheels off.
That and the upright which gets torqued to 100 ftlb - they are good tools ready to go.

Mig

Post by Mig » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:18 pm

[quote="Driver"]
[quote="Mig"]
Mmmmmm do I see a Snap on  allen socket Driver?  quality quality quality :tu:[/quote]

Why yes you do. But for Waynes purposes any from Sears Craftsmen, Mac, Cornwell, Matco will also suffice. Generally poor quality tools are never found in a working mechanic's box. They can't afford to have them break off in, strip out or otherwise mess up a paying gig. Speaking of which...

[quote="Nicholas"]

[/quote]

What sort of price are Snap on in the U.S. are we being fleeced over here? its about $400 for 3/8 deep sockets 8mm-20mm.

Ive been buying Snapon for 20 years now and the back up and service is great.

Mig :)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 pm

[quote="Mig"]
[quote="Driver"]
[quote="Mig"]

[quote="Nicholas"]

[/quote]

What sort of price are Snap on in the U.S. are we being fleeced over here? its about $400 for 3/8 deep sockets 8mm-20mm.

Ive been buying Snapon for 20 years now and the back up and service is great.

Mig :)
[/quote]

About half price in the US, so yes we are being fleeced

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:37 pm

It doesn't have to be Snap-On. Pretty much all the auto tool suppliers (those trucks that visit the shops weekly) offer good stuff. Matco, Mac, etc... In a pinch, go Sears Craftsman. Regardless Wayne doesn't need to buy the complete set. Buy the one that he needs to get the roll bar bolts out only.

Just FYI, that Socket Driver pictured, Metric, Hex, Standard, 14 mm Stock#: FAM14E is $25.75 US.The complete set 4-14MM (11 pieces) is $237 US. 3/8" Set, Socket, Metric, Deep, 6-Point (12 pcs.) (8 to 19 mm) Stock #: 212SFSMY is $196 on their website.

I still have (over 20 years) a complete set of 6-pt sockets (8-20mm), good to know they are holding their value. :)

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:29 pm

My "complete set" of 8 pieces was $25.
I've used them some, but not every week.

I use them on track days for removing the wheels; at WCA I switched wheels twice a day (slicks vs road tires).
My cheap 12mm hex-wrench held up fine to an impact wrench at torque wrench on the 16 bolts, twice a day.
In fact, my Brammo 12mm "socket adapter" shows more wear.

If I were using them every day, or every week, I would buy expensive stuff.

Wayne will use these at most once a month.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:24 pm

[quote="Driver"]
For the Allen bolt holding the rear stays of the roll bar do not get the L-shaped one, get a socket version and use that ratchet. Go back over to that Sears at the mall and get the right size individual one you need. I assume you've already tried the Allen bolts that were in the set. If not get one of the guys/Doug at Powerhouse to show you what size you need. One of their tool chests will have the one you need.[/quote]

Thanks, Ken.  I figured the same thing in terms of borrowing the needed tools for now, but want to get my own so that I can take care of these sorts of every day things as I go.  That's why I started the thread along more general lines, rather than JUST to solve this particular problem.  If nothing else, I'll just go down the list that Nick has provided and try to fill in some of the gaps in terms of what I'm missing.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:40 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]
Wayne will use these at most once a month.[/quote]

...and only then if I have ABSOLUTELY nothing else to do.  Taking off a roll bar is a lower priority than sorting out my socks drawer.  But then again, if I were to get used to something like this, I could start posting about how many foot pounds of torque I'm applying and all sorts of other things that would suddenly become (genuinely, I assure you) interesting to me. 

When Ken was trying to convince me to spend $150 for the mechanics took kit, my response was that this would be like spending the $400 or so that burned a hole in my pocket years ago for pots and pans and spatulas because someone insisted I would need that for my kitchen.  In 12 years, I've yet to turn on the oven even once.  I don't cook, period.  Sure, I do get an occasional lady friend who would like to cook for me, so they've been used here and there, but not by me!

Funny though, because with these tools I suddenly feel the need to get my hands greasy.  It must be the Atom that is doing this to me.  Don't think I'd use them on any other vehicle.  But the Atom is special, and kind of fun to tinker with.

Anyway, thanks Terry, Nick and Ken for your great advice.  I'll bookmark this thread and start making some tool shopping progress at once.