Sat Nav

Stevef

Sat Nav

Post by Stevef » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:09 pm

Can't find any recent posts so can someone recommend a sat nav and perhaps carrier for the Atom. Must have euro cover.
Cheers
Steve

Rocket Man

Re: Sat Nav

Post by Rocket Man » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:55 am

tomtom rider 400

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:26 am

[quote="Rocket Man"]
tomtom rider 400
[/quote]

+1
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

julian

Post by julian » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:24 am

I have Tomtom rider 400. I had the V2 but sold it, lots on here use that and what I liked was ability to Bluetooth with another device the days route from friends. V2 and the 400 are not compatible. I will miss this option when doing Northern Spain and Pyrinees in a couple of months.

On the other hand why would you buy V2 when upgraded 400 is available.

I haven't come to grips with it yet but it has a larger screen than V2, I struggled to read the written data under the map whilst driving, arrival time etc. I am hopeful 400 is more user friendly.

I know Garmin etc is out there but I am a Tomtom fan.

Regards

Julian

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:58 pm

I use a standard Garmin car 'nav (Nuvi 3598) in the Atom. Great for traffic info as well as routing.
I've stuck one of those plastic discs for dashboards onto the  Atom's 'transmission tunnel' between the frame runners and sucker the nav to that..

If I am expecting rain I'll put a a see-through sandwich bag over it. It's seen some hideous weather and several roadside tsunami's and is perfectly happy - so far.

Simon.

Stevef

Post by Stevef » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Is the 400 waterproof?

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:42 pm

[quote="Stevef"]
Is the 400 waterproof?
[/quote]

Yes. It's waterproof and works pretty well with gloves on.
I haven't done a long trip with it yet, but it's worked well on shorter journeys.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:11 pm

The one thing i miss massively with the 400 compared to even my old Garmin is the ability to control the phone or store music. My old Garmin was great at that but now I need to play music through spotify etc but need to control with the phone. Not ideal. I also find it doesn't want to connect well with both phone and headset unless an update has sorted this. Check what you want from it before you buy it.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:21 pm

music---- phone------------ what next air con and cup holders

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 pm

one of the 400 kits comes with a bike mount suitable for the Atom and a car mount so you can use in in your daily car. that kit also has a carry case for the sat nav and two security bits for if mounted to a bike. it also swivels from landscape to portrait

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:29 pm

The factory offers a custom mount for the TomTom Rider which I had installed by them when my Atom was serviced last September.

- which, while it works adequately with smartphone, helmet speakers/mic (or Bluetooth headset when not using a helmet) and is also waterproof, is nowhere near as intuitive to use or, in my opinion, as good as the Garmins that I have in use in two other cars!

It came with 'Lifetime updates' of Western Europe maps but other areas can be easily downloaded (for a fee of course!) and installed to the Rider - the map databases can then be switched at will within the satnav itself.

Finally - 'Tyre' the TomTom desktop route planning App is, to put it bluntly, simply tiresome (sic!) to use as it uses Google maps which are, in many areas, extremely inaccurate and/or out of date!!  :(
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 pm

I too have the TomTom 400 and in isolation it's not great - better and faster at keeping up with twisties than my old TomTom, but a little crude compared to other satnav out there. However, link it to your phone and it's pretty good.

The problems I have with it are that it doesn't link to mt Sony SBH50s and it doesn't like my Nexus 5X. Works fine with other Bluetooth helmet sets, and other phones but just not the ones I like. So either I compromise on one or the other.

Oh, and the mount for both Motorbike and Atom are great. And the Bike one is totally secure.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:43 pm

what happens when you link it to your phone, sorry i am a gramophone man

Stevef

Post by Stevef » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks for advice I invested in a 400 on Saturday. First problem is the bracket isn't big enough for chassis attachment under dash. Second
Oh can I repeat the above question, what does phone connection do?

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:19 pm

You can answer your phone using helmet speaker/mic or headset (Bluetooth) - you can also dial out (by voice if you wish)

To make it work you first pair your smartphone to the TomTom and then you pair your Bluetooth helmet speakers/Mic or Bluetooth headphones to the TomTom

Basically the TomTom becomes the controller of your smartphone and sits between your smartphone and your helmet speakers/mic/headphones

You don't have to pair a smartphone if you only want to hear the Satnav route guidance!
Last edited by autobackup on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)