Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons

Summit Technologies

Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons

Post by Summit Technologies » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:42 am

Hi Folks,

We have been recommended by the 'Ariel Atom Chat' forum to pop a post up in here for you :)

We have just launched a new product that you might be particularly interested in....

Called the 'Raptor', we have produced a Wireless RF 8 Channel system for adding buttons to your steering wheel. It's completely wireless and communicates to it's own Receiver Relay Module.

Each of the buttons are fully programmable to perform various actions, although the version that would suit Atom owners best is our IVA Compatible version. This includes symbols for Indicators, Horn, Hazards etc.

It's water resistant and fits small form factor steering wheels with a 70mm PCD.

We appreciate that Atom's come with a Single Seater style boss (3 Hole), so we can supply a machined aluminium hub adapter plate that will change your 3 hole to the required 6 hole.

Happy to answer any questions either here or via our website at http://www.summittech.co.uk

Here is an image of our Raptor system installed into a vehicle with a 300mm OMP Targa Steering Wheel, and one of our machined aluminium adapter plate (comes with hardware).

The price for the IVA Version shown above is £601.19 including VAT. We also ship worldwide.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks for posting - very interesting.

The main problem I see here is the interconnections of the relay switching wiring to the relevant car accessories.

On a 'normal' or kit car, this would be trivial - in the Atom's case far from it as there's no published wiring diagrams available etc which might prove difficult for all but the hardened technical electrical gurus ..

Maybe, the factory could take it on as an approved modification and fit it during a service ..?
This would also ensure that it wouldn't devalue the car for any future owner.

Looks like it's a good, well thought out product and deserves to do well  :tu:
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Summit Technologies

Post by Summit Technologies » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:54 am

Hi John,

We always recommend that our system is fitted by a certified Auto Electrician. While we are big supporters of tackling smaller modifications yourselves, for a system like this we would always rely on a bit of professional help  ;)

It doesn't matter if your vehicle is old school wiring, CanBus or anything in between. We have designed the system to be fitted to any 12 volt electrical system.

As far as getting Ariel endorsement / support for the product, I think that's unlikely. That said, we are working with a couple of car manufacturers based in the UK that have our systems on trial. If they are successful, we would be providing customised versions of our Raptors as part of an OEM supplier agreement.

We have reached out directly to Ariel. If anyone responds, I'll pop up the outcome :)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks ! - Sorry don't know your name ..

Old-school wiring isn't a problem, lack of any wiring diagrams is the challenge  ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Summit Technologies

Post by Summit Technologies » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:10 am

My apologies for missing out on the personal introductions :)

My name is Lee McCormack, and I am the Director of summit Technologies.

I've done some digging and now appreciate the issue you all face with a lack of available wiring diagrams.

However....

The Atom is no different to any other vehicle. Every switch in an Atom connects a circuit of some kind, be it Indicators, Lights, Horn etc.. Tapping into each of these with a 'supplementary switch' (Because that is what the Raptor Receiver Unit is) should be a breeze for an Auto Electrician.

I designed the Raptor to be really simple to bridge into the existing vehicle circuits. There's no magical formula going on. Each of the Relays in the Receiver has an IN and OUT wire - that's it !

There's no complicated relay structure happening, each of the Relays are make or break connections. Just like a toggle switch (ON / OFF).

Maybe we need a guinea pig to prove my theory :D  :vroom:

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:48 am

I think this would sell well for the indicators alone if we could get them to work with an auto cancel! Looks great though. Would definitely be interested too.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Summit Technologies

Post by Summit Technologies » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 am

[quote="abrandonsmith"]
I think this would sell well for the indicators alone if we could get them to work with an auto cancel! Looks great though. Would definitely be interested too.
[/quote]

Automatic Self Cancelling Indicators would be awesome, wouldn't they ?  :D

The best we can offer is setting the Indicators to a 'Latching' mode, where you press once for on, then press again for cancelling. Or setting them to a 'Momentary' mode, where you hold down the button to activate them (Good for lane changing). There's pro's and con's I suppose.

Either way, your not taking your hands off the wheel. That's got to be safer.

If you've ever driven your car on a circuit or Track Day though, self cancelling Indicators are a pain in the butt ! Especially when your on your cool down laps, indicating to come in. ;)

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:56 am

It's water resistant
Could you hang it on your washing line in a downpour and after it will still work? If it isn't meant to be in the elements it wont do well on the Atom. It will get soaked too in this position on the car especially if you get caught in traffic in a downpour.

How would it fair in those circumstances ?

Looks good though Ill give you that :tu:

Summit Technologies

Post by Summit Technologies » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:23 pm

The water proofing used is 3M Novec. It's an electronic grade coating that is applied to the centre components beneath the transmitter cap. Used in conjunction with our IP65 Rated Switches, it works completely submersed with the cap removed  :o

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm

[quote="Summit Technologies"]
The water proofing used is 3M Novec. It's an electronic grade coating that is applied to the centre components beneath the transmitter cap. Used in conjunction with our IP65 Rated Switches, it works completely submersed with the cap removed  :o
[/quote]

That will do it..... ;D :tu:

Summit Technologies

Post by Summit Technologies » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Folks, we are still waiting for an eager Atom owner to make the leap on one of these systems (Location irrelevant). I'd be happy to discuss a discount if you would like to do a little write up and review for us that we can use :D

If that sounds like you.... Drop me an email at lee@summittech.co.uk

Summit Technologies

Post by Summit Technologies » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:19 pm

I said that I'd pop up a video for you  :laugh:

So here's a little video of the Raptor system, demonstrating the water resistance  :vroom:

https://vimeo.com/109046237

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:48 am

:tu: like the waterproof test!  ;D

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:37 am

you know you want it Will !!

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:31 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
you know you want it Will !!
[/quote]

Not for me mate - I am sick of gadgets and gizmos - I like my indicators to be manual - part of the quirkiness of the car - I cant think of owt else I would want to control from my steering wheel ....

Trouble with all this is - You buy the Atom for a specific purpose and for me its to get away from all the STUFF and just be car and driver....end of.

I have enough gadgets and gizmo's in the tin top....

;D