The ARIEL Jacket anyone have one

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: The ARIEL Jacket anyone have one

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear you've had your op postponed ..

It's better to be safe than sorry though when it comes to anaesthetics, so it sounds like you're getting good advice from the doctors and are well on the way to achieving your weight goal.

There's gold at the end of that rainbow !
.. and it's worth its wait weight  :D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:24 am

Not nice Reading that meladdo, hope all goes well in your op. Nice present to look forward to :-)

wattie

Post by wattie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:41 pm

[quote="meladdo"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
...since I have been surviving on anti inflammatory medication and Morphine at night sometimes to get a nights sleep.
[/quote]
Wow! I don't sleep well but that puts it all into context...... Keep going with the diet and fingers crossed the op happens and works so you can return to some element of normality.

Cheers Wattie

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 am

Hey guys its not all bad....I am gratefull for many things.... :tu: I have met some people in far far worse condition than me, at least I have the ability some of the time to control the pain levels by being carefull what I do and with added medication ::) - its been restrictive though, and my erm overdosing to get things done isnt an option anymore.......Its time for the surgery......they said I would know when to take the chance and its now! - well 3 or 4 mnths ;D

I dont for one minute thinks its risk free, but I hope and pray for the best outcome :tu:

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Old thread resurrection on this Resurrection Sunday. ;D

Missus bought me an Ariel Jacket for Easter O0 - XXL - Well it needed to be a XXL as the arms on the XL were too short so if you are 44 to 48 inch chest with long arms - think Orangutang  ;D the XXL is the one to go for :tu:

Just need a car now........ :vroom:

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:10 pm

Guys, if I'm perfectly honest, it is warm and very useful but really not dry enough. I bought it thinking it was going to be waterproof and it really isn't. Used it on an on/off wet track day last year, in and out of rain and by the end of the day I was basically soaked, especially around the elbows and back.

I have since bought a ski jacket from Mountain Warehouse for £70 which is 10,000 hydrastatic head waterproof and breathable which basically means you can use it in a monsoon! It's just as warm, looks just as good and even has a pocket for the Atom key because it's where the lift pass would go! The snow skirt also keeps all the wires for my heated gloves in place!

I love the look of my Atom jacket but as a technical piece of apparel, I wouldn't rely on it to keep you dry! Sorry Tom....  :fence:
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi there Will,
Glad you got your jacket, bet you cant wait to get the car. Do you have a date for delivery yet?
I love my jacket, i wear it all the time at weekend in our super weather. If i cant be in the car at least i can be in the jacket.
Just got the rear brakes in bits then will get an MOT and bring it round to yours. Got to get one of those brake rewind tools then i can push the pistons back in. Forgot about that one. That is all that is left to do, realy pleased with the results.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 pm

No definite date as yet - but its looking like I will get it for start of June........Just in time for summer. If we get one O0

Stevef

Post by Stevef » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:55 am

Quick question about the Atom Jacket, I was lucky enough to be given an Atom jacket when I bought my car by the previous owner. All good, nice jacket and fitted me perfectly. Now I'm not sure how old the jacket is, it could be 3-4 years old and a problem is the zips have failed on one of the pockets. I just wondered if they have been updated if so is it worth replacing it with new (the jacket not the zip).

Cheers

Steve

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:13 pm

I looked closely at buying an Ariel Atom Jacket but was dissuaded by various comments by members in this forum about them not being as waterproof as they might be!

Someone in this forum recommended buying from The Mountain Warehouse http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/

- in the end I bought a 'Pulse II Extreme Mens Ski Jacket (Cobalt Blue)' from them and have been VERY pleased with it as it has been both warm and totally waterproof (but, unfortunately no Ariel Logo!)

- they also stock a much greater range of colours - you never know but they may just have a jacket to match your car's paint scheme?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:43 pm

I have two, and both have failed zips, split clear pocket and worn sholders from the harness. And, as others have said, they don't offer much protection. One is about 4 yrs old, the other about 2.

For posing around the paddock they're ok but at that price they need to be much better for behind the wheel
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

reg

Post by reg » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:51 pm

[quote="autobackup"]
I looked closely at buying an Ariel Atom Jacket but was dissuaded by various comments by members in this forum about them not being as waterproof as they might be!

Someone in this forum recommended buying from The Mountain Warehouse http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/

- in the end I bought a 'Pulse II Extreme Mens Ski Jacket (Cobalt Blue)' from them and have been VERY pleased with it as it has been both warm and totally waterproof (but, unfortunately no Ariel Logo!)

- they also stock a much greater range of colours - you never know but they may just have a jacket to match your car's paint scheme?
[/quote]

I was looking at Musto jackets, I have heard good reports about them. Thanks for the link to Mountain Warehouse, looks like a very good resource.
'he was reet fast'

julian

Post by julian » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:09 pm

The Atom jackets are shocking. Technical qualities are poor, they are not waterproof. Quality is dreadful, broken zips, pocket linings unstitched, clear plastic pouches cracked and ripped. I have hardly used it. Very expensive for what it is.
Looks good and I like the Ariel logo.

If these jackets had been a high street purchase my guess would be that most of them would of been returned for refunds.

Not worth the money. I was thinking about upgrading the Zips but the fact that it is not waterproof I haven't bothered.

Ariel should of had jackets made with better materials, ie Gortex, I appreciate this would of increased cost but jacket has to be waterproof to be used in a car like atom.

Zips have not been upgraded and they remain showerproof so don't bother and as suggested go for a branded outdoor activity jacket.

Julian

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:53 pm

What Julian said.

Buy a good quality ski/motorcycle/sailing jacket. They'll be waterproof, breathable, comfortable and well made. Buy in the sales and it won't be quite so painful.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Stevef

Post by Stevef » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks for comments,

Cheers

Steve