Helmet

kaygee

Helmet

Post by kaygee » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi All

looking to purchase a new crash helmet for the atom.

can anyone recommend any to me??

looking for something stylish yet effective- no real budget.

thanks

Karl

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Re: Helmet

Post by Steve Gibson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi, Karl

A lot of us use flip helmets because it makes cross-country trips or urban runs less claustrophobic and cooler in the warmer months. On all my trips to France I take a flip one, it's down for the motorways and up for cross country blats. I stuck a new thread up a few weeks back about Nolan's N43 – my ROOF 5 flip helmet is playing up where the chinguard rubs the visor as it comes down – it's jamming tight, which is annoying if you're driving and you try to lower it quickly. It looks unfixable to me.

The N43 is very light, looks good and you can take the chinguard off if you want a full open face helmet. I tried one on and was impressed with the quality of it. The flip-up sunshade is really useful for changing light conditions - if you're driving from afternoon sunlight into dusk you can just slide it up whilst keeping the visor down.

The key thing is to try plenty on, see how they fit, how well made they are and what your head feels like with it on. Don't buy direct from the web without trying out what you're ordering first.
Attachments
n43.jpg
n43.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Last edited by Steve Gibson on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:59 pm

[quote="Steve Gibson"]

– my ROOF 5 flip helmet is playing up where the chinguard rubs the visor as it comes down – it's jamming tight, which is annoying if you're driving and you try to lower it quickly. It looks unfixable to me.

[/quote]

The trick with the Roof Boxer is to bring the chinguard down into position before the visor, so if the visor is already down then you need to push it up slightly first.

I've been using Roof helmets for 13 years with no problems and currently have three, as I've worn my first one out.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:20 pm

If you're driving along, having to raise the visor slightly and then lower the chinguard it's a nuisance. I think the chinguard should really rotate, wherever the visor is sitting. It wasn't an issue on my old Boxer, but on the 5 model I think it's a fault. As are the catches that hold the chinguard down. They often jam on, when they should release easily. It can be a struggle to get them to release. I know it's not just my helmet because the web has owner reviews mentioning the same problem. It's just my opinion, but I think the Boxer product has got worse not better, which is why I'm replacing it.
First Atomised 2001.
There is no cure.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Go to the NEC Bike show and try on lots of helmets...

It's the very best way to find one that fits
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:03 am

Hi Karl,
I've been very pleased with the Schuberth S1 I picked up over the summer. The integral visor is a good feature which you can flip down with one hand whilst driving. Also the visor is quite wide which can help occasionally when looking through some tighter corners. It's been good for Track Days where the weather has been changeable.

It's also very quiet which has helped with the intercom. Some of that is down to the (very snug) fit which just seems to work for me. I liked my old Shoei but this one just fits my head better!
Cheers,

Stuart

p.s How goes the classic car search?
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:21 am

Agree with Stu on that. I'm on my second S1 as a track day helmet. Great fit, build and excellent sound insulation. And they often go for a good price at the NEC bike show, given that the RRP is on the high side.
First Atomised 2001.
There is no cure.

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Kel and i bought these because of our concern with helmet lift in the Atom 3.

We're 5'7 and 5'6 respectively and have the seats at position 4. Our eyelines are at the top of the gunsights. Others experience helmet lift and it appears to be a nuisance. We get none at all using specific open cockpit racing helmets called Simpson Speedway Shark with a "wicker bill and spolier' system that claims to reduce helmet lift.

Hopefully this link will work

http://www.racinghelmets.com/simpson/speedwayshark.html

We thought they looked the nuts too!

Cheers Wattie and Kel

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks for the info- appreciate your help.
does anyone know when the nec show is on, as only live 45 minutes aways and have never been???

Stu- the search is going ok- worked out what not to buy!!! i thought it was a credit crunch-people still want top dollar for their cars. i find it strange that you come across people who own £100k +  cars but live in a £100k house that is like a bomb has landed on it- but the cars are immaculate. good luck to them, but a bit odd imo.
will keep you informed. hows the atom going?? all sorted now???

cheers

Karl

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Karl

Check:

http://www.motorcycleshow.co.uk/

It's also good for jackets, trousers, waterproofs.... ;)
First Atomised 2001.
There is no cure.

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:02 pm

[quote="kaygee"]

Stu- . hows the atom going?? all sorted now???

cheers

Karl

[/quote]

Yep, car is all good, in fact it's never been better according to Steve. I have not been able to drive it due to work commitments but still trying to squeeze one more day in this year (if I find my thermals!). Will let you know but it might be a last minute thing!

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Cheers Steve

anyone fancy going to the bike show 27th november to 6th december - NEC

let me know if you are interested.

cheers

Karl

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Stew

will be up for one last trackday- keep me informed- weekdays are best for me as i don't get nagged by the Mrs!!!! be good to catch up, i can also show you some racing lines ;)

cheers

Karl

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:12 pm

[quote="kaygee"]
Stew

will be up for one last trackday- keep me informed- weekdays are best for me as i don't get nagged by the Mrs!!!! be good to catch up, i can also show you some racing lines ;)

cheers

Karl
[/quote]

Sounds good. I noticed you had found some different lines to me last time I followed you ;D

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris