Hello from Germany

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Trigger

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by Trigger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 am

Simple business economics - 2 year waiting list = long term viability. What most Uk companies would give to have a 2 years fixed book !!
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

digibrain

Post by digibrain » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 am

Or just to keep the price for used Atomâ??s artificially high.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 am

Nothing artificial about it, in fact high residuals, influenced by long waiting lists, make the car more attractive in the first place, leading to more orders, a virtuous circle. 

digibrain

Post by digibrain » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:14 am

OK, then waiting for delivery is to make the car more attractive? ???
I think the car is so attractive because of itâ??s looks and performance.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:30 am

[quote="digibrain"]
Why donâ??t they build more cars when the demand in the UK is so big.[/quote]

I obviously don't know what the UK factory's thoughts are on this. However...

The original US builder (Brammo) built cars in an assembly-line fashion (one or more workers at a particular assembly station did part of the work, then the car moved to the next station where other workers would do other things). This allowed them to increase production rapidly. By the time they stopped building Atoms, they were building 2 cars a week, with plans to double that production rate. While I also don't know what Brammo management's thinking was, it became obvious that toward the end of production, they were geared up to produce far more cars than they had orders for. Again, I don't know what they were thinking in private, but the public information was that they were going to stop producing Atoms. Maybe they could have continued if they had more (any?) marketing - certainly US owners didn't see any evidence of marketing, and the only person from there that came to the first US AtomFest was Tom Smurzynski, who would have attended anyway, even if he had to pay for it himself (and, for all I know, he did). [The UK factory sent everybody, which was an amazing surprise.]

After a hiatus, it was announced that TMI would take over production of Atoms in the US. From the info that was made public, they're using an assembly style that's much closer to the UK model - one employee is responsible for a specific car build, from start to finish.

I can't say if the Brammo production model caused them to stop building Atoms, but I can say that it is in everyone's best interest for the current factories to stay in business forever. At least in the US, the current economic climate doesn't lend itself to major expansions, even if it appears that the demand is there. Perhaps in a year or two when the economy stabilizes...

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 am

The point is, Ariel Uk can take no orders for 18/24 months and still be fully employed. They also have upto 2 years worth of non-refundable deposits in their account. The wait doesnt make it more desirable - it actually puts people off, but enough feel the wait is worth it. The trade in 2nd hand cars while you wait for your new one has sprung up around it and also works brilliantly for all involved. Long may it continue like this.

digibrain

Post by digibrain » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:55 am

[quote="Trigger"]
The point is, Ariel Uk can take no orders for 18/24 months and still be fully employed. They also have upto 2 years worth of non-refundable deposits in their account. The wait doesnt make it more desirable - it actually puts people off, but enough feel the wait is worth it. The trade in 2nd hand cars while you wait for your new one has sprung up around it and also works brilliantly for all involved. Long may it continue like this.
[/quote]

Does that mean that you canâ??t order a Atom for the next 18/24 month?

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:58 am

[quote="digibrain"]
Does that mean that you canâ??t order a Atom for the next 18/24 month?
[/quote]

Not quite. It means that if you order one today, you'll most likely take delivery of it in 18-24 months time.
Doesn't mean you can't order one.

Cheers, Hedge

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:10 am

As Hedge says, it means the factory dont NEED any more orders to be fully employed for the next 2 years. They will of course get some orders though, but even if volume reduces the waiting list will just go back to where it was a while ago - maybe 12-14 months.

digibrain

Post by digibrain » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:36 pm

OK I understand. ::)

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:57 am

Hi Walter, yes I have a subaru WRX, and a paraglider so it's not too bad, but agree 18 months is almost not acceptable, but no other option other than buying one secondhand and selling before the new one is due, I didn't want to risk trouble selling the older one so chose to wait.

Cheers, George

digibrain

Post by digibrain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:04 am

Hi George, I owned a Subaru GT. (MRT Performance Stage 2 kit, 275 HP)
It was one of the best cars I ever had.
The only problem was, they forgot to put brakes on the car. Once I did a lap
on the N ring and suddenly I had no brakes anymore :o, drove slowly to the finish.
and there I saw that the left front rotor had cracks. After that I mounted Porsche
brakes and I had no problems anymore. If you are interested I can post some pics
of the car. (I donâ??t know if this is allowed in this tread)

Walter

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:31 am

[quote="digibrain"]
If you are interested I can post some pics of the car. (I donâ??t know if this is allowed in this tread)
Walter
[/quote]

Of course you can! Post away....
Cheers, Hedge

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:18 am

Walter, my Subaru is the Prodrive Performance version- approx. 265 BHP.

Definitely the best car I've had, 90000 miles from brand new, with NO failures at all (well a new radiator under warranty :-[) but other than that perfect.

This will be a hard act to follow for the atom, but there again a change is as good as a rest. Will keep the Subaru of course for bad weather and everyday use, but am debating what to get as my next evryday car, maybe the Focus RS ?

George

digibrain

Post by digibrain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:37 am

OK I'll try to post the pics
Attachments
subaru2004 004_klein.jpg
subaru2004 004_klein.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 520 times