Helmet and gloves

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
A7t0m

Helmet and gloves

Post by A7t0m » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:15 pm

Almost a new owner, just waiting for my Atom to be built. Need to buy gloves and a helmet. Any recommendations please?
I'm living in Surrey.
Thanks.

Sledgehammer

Re: Helmet and gloves

Post by Sledgehammer » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:58 pm

Hi, have you seen the Helmet Guide?
https://ariel.club/ariel-club-guide-to-helmets/

I use a Bike Helmet with Sunvisor and a Pinlock Visor.

Gloves....Cart or Motorsport, Sparco, OMP....
Atom 2 Supercharged - Atom Club Germany

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:45 pm

A "car specific" helmet is the way to go.

Gloves: Anything with outside stitching! :)

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:07 pm

Depends on what you are going to use the car for. If just for road driving then you can get away with nearly anything with closed face. If you are planning on doing track days then suggest you go for a proper motorsport helmet with a hans device attachment.

Sledgehammer

Post by Sledgehammer » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:27 pm

"Car specific"
Attachments
IMG_20230307_052636_1.jpg
IMG_20230307_052636_1.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 1277 times
Atom 2 Supercharged - Atom Club Germany

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 pm

Make sure you get the helmet fitted, whichever one you go for. I have a Roof Boxxer, because that's what the factory used to use, but they are quite noisy. Speaking of which, buy some ear protection too, or some noise cancelling ear buds - wind noise is a killer at speed.

In terms of gloves, I'd recommend buying heated gloves, jacket and trousers too - Gerbing for example: https://gerbing.co.uk/collections/motor ... ted-gloves

Don't underestimate how much colder you feel even on a Summer's evening driving an Atom. It took me 3 years to buy my Gerbing gear, it really is transformative, especially in the Spring and Autumn, wish I'd bought it sooner.

Buying stuff for an Atom is all part of the (expensive) experience, enjoy!
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:30 pm

Also, if you don't have the windscreen WEAR THE HELMET when you go out for a drive. I was on the freeway here in the US and had a stone of considerable size whiz by my head. I shudder to think what would have happened had it hit me, and I hadn't been wearing a helmet. That even cemented it for me.

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:17 pm

Echo most of the above - helmets are very personal, due to fit and cost. Personally I’ve always fit Arai so I tend to just buy the best one I can afford.

Worth noting that Bike Helmets tend to be a bit warmer, a bit quieter, bit more adjustable cooling and bit better in the pissing rain. But.. I’ve moved to an open top car Arai because it’s the right tool for the job.

Gloves: Nothing in the summer, mountain bike gloves in the spring and autumn, and heated gloves and under-vest in winter.

Good luck!

A7t0m

Post by A7t0m » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:48 am

The Arai is £500 more. What makes it so much more expensive than the cheaper helmet and is it worth paying the extra?

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/arai-gp ... et-240776/

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:58 am

Well, it all depends on what you think the function of a helmet is? If it's to keep your head warm, quiet and dry while keeping the wind and bugs off your face, then a cheap helmet will do the job every time. Even the cheap ones have to meet the main safety standards. For an Atom, it's definately arguable that's really all its purpose is anyway.

But, I come from a motorcycle riding background where the ethos always is.. buy the best you can afford as it's protecting the most valuable part of your body. Weigh, quality, strength, features - all play a part in why the expensive ones are so expensive. Personally I have a GP-7 but a GP-6 is a very good option too. Only you can decide if your brain is worth it ;)

Having had a car windscreen destroyed by a house brick falling off a skip lorry in the past, there's also a chance I'm much more paranoid than most!

CarlosMaximus1974

Post by CarlosMaximus1974 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:13 pm

I would suggest getting a helmet with a duck bill on the chin as it helps stop the helmet from lifting when going at speed when the air tries to get under your helmet and forces your head back.

Like this below,

https://merchandising.demon-tweeks.com/ ... y21_15.jpg

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:12 pm

CarlosMaximus1974 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:13 pm I would suggest getting a helmet with a duck bill on the chin as it helps stop the helmet from lifting when going at speed when the air tries to get under your helmet and forces your head back.
YES, if you don't have a wind[shield|screen] you need either a duck bill on the front, or a spoiler on the top. In my case, the wind always tried to suck the helmet off my head. The faster I went, the harder the suck.

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:48 pm

Hello! Helmet...Depending on what you want to use it for...for "normal" road use a lot of helmets will do the job. But ofcourse, if you have some spare cash it's always wise to buy a premium quality helmet...and with all due respect...driving an Atom without a helmet is a NO GO for me personally as I only have one set of eyes and I need to do it with one skull...ofcourse all goes well...untill something goes wrong. If you want to drive your Atom on track, weight of the helmet makes quite a big difference. I've had many autosport helmets throughout the last 3 decades...Bell, Shoei, Arai, Stand 21, Simpson, Schuberth... Currently I use a Simpson Speedway Shark and a Schuberth SP1. The Simpson is awesome looking and is super steady and has no buffeting at all, negative is that's it's quite heavy, and you will feel that on a trackday for sure. Also the build quality of a Simpson is not like Arai and certainly not like a Schuberth. Past season I exclusively used my Schuberth SP1, super light and great fit, superb visor too...no buffeting either...quite an expensive helmet, but worth every penny. Most important it to go out and try them on...a lot of difference in fitting. Arai also very good value for money, but the GP6 and GP7 just don not fit comfortably for me personally. Good luck with your quest... Oh...and last but not least...do NOT go out on track without using a HANS device, worth looking some YouTube video's of the benefit of such HANS system...can save your life as well.
Attachments
IMG_0173.jpeg
IMG_0173.jpeg (275.97 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
IMG_1206.jpeg
IMG_1206.jpeg (257.98 KiB) Viewed 1105 times

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Not only am I an Atom owner, but also a Biker since passing my Motorbike Test in 1965, which although 8 years before the wearing of Helmets became Law, I've always worn one, so wouldn't ride or drive my Atom without one, and already having Helmets to ride my Motorbike, I just use the same Helmets in the Atom.

I've known other owners who have driven without a Helmet, and they told me that being hit in the face by a Bee at speed was very painful, so imagine what it would do if it hit you in the eye, or something more substantial hit you.

The advantages of Motorcycle Helmets over Car Helmets, are that they have better peripheral vision, and are more aerodynamic due to being designed mainly for use in the open air without a windscreen.

As for gloves, I wear a pair of "OMP Race Gloves".

As for my wife, who's only ever a passenger, she chose her helmet by "Colour".

Here I am in my Atom wearing my "Roof R05 Boxer V" with Blue Iridium Visor, and as you can see, I sit pretty low, so no chance of wind lift anyway.
Attachments
Roof Helmet in the Atom.jpg
Roof Helmet in the Atom.jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
Ariel Atom at Aintree Circuit.jpg
Ariel Atom at Aintree Circuit.jpg (287.84 KiB) Viewed 1046 times