Helmet and gloves

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
A7t0m

Re: Helmet and gloves

Post by A7t0m » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:25 am

Thanks for all the advice.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:52 am

I don't wear a helmet but do wear a pair of WileyX goggles, very strongly recommended if you wish to go au naturel. I suggest not spending lots of money on gloves until you've driven the car. I don't remember ever wearing gloves driving the car and for be they'd be a waste of money. I know some people have real circulation problems with their hands and if that's the case I'm sure you'll find some good ones.
Enjoy the car! A

mazza

Post by mazza » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:05 pm

Thanks for the tip re Gerbing, thought I’d try these out to see if they’re worth it… just had delivery today, got the jacket and the gloves, very impressed, just need to spend a little time making the cables neat!

Fastlane wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 pm Make sure you get the helmet fitted, whichever one you go for. I have a Roof Boxxer, because that's what the factory used to use, but they are quite noisy. Speaking of which, buy some ear protection too, or some noise cancelling ear buds - wind noise is a killer at speed.

In terms of gloves, I'd recommend buying heated gloves, jacket and trousers too - Gerbing for example: https://gerbing.co.uk/collections/motor ... ted-gloves

Don't underestimate how much colder you feel even on a Summer's evening driving an Atom. It took me 3 years to buy my Gerbing gear, it really is transformative, especially in the Spring and Autumn, wish I'd bought it sooner.

Buying stuff for an Atom is all part of the (expensive) experience, enjoy!
2014 Atom 3.5 K20 Ohlins

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:21 pm

mazza wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:05 pm Thanks for the tip re Gerbing, thought I’d try these out to see if they’re worth it… just had delivery today, got the jacket and the gloves, very impressed, just need to spend a little time making the cables neat!

Fastlane wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 pm Make sure you get the helmet fitted, whichever one you go for. I have a Roof Boxxer, because that's what the factory used to use, but they are quite noisy. Speaking of which, buy some ear protection too, or some noise cancelling ear buds - wind noise is a killer at speed.

In terms of gloves, I'd recommend buying heated gloves, jacket and trousers too - Gerbing for example: https://gerbing.co.uk/collections/motor ... ted-gloves

Don't underestimate how much colder you feel even on a Summer's evening driving an Atom. It took me 3 years to buy my Gerbing gear, it really is transformative, especially in the Spring and Autumn, wish I'd bought it sooner.

Buying stuff for an Atom is all part of the (expensive) experience, enjoy!
No problem. I initially bought the jacket and gloves and after a few weeks, decided to add the trousers as they make all the difference. BTW, I forgot to mention that you will need a temperature controller too, otherwise everything will run at max temperature. It does mention this on the Gerbing website, so hopefully you already have one.

Wiring-wise, just make sure that the connection to the car is able to cope with the current draw. My Atom came with the factory-fitted cigarette accessory connector (my car is 16 years old) which comes out between the seats, and so initially I used the cigarette adaptor cable from Gerbing to connect the jacket and gloves to the car. Unfortunately, once I added the trousers, the total draw exceeded the Atom's connector's amps rating and so I had to splice and solder in the Gerbing standard connector instead.

Finally, remember to unplug yourself before getting out, otherwise you can pull the wire out of the lining of the jacket (ask me how I know!) :doh:
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:49 pm

Helmet, massive personal preference. I have an Arai GP-6S. Great if you want to add a HANS device for track synchronous as the Schroth Super Sport. Motorsport helmets usually need a different lens as most come clear. I would recommend a tinted one for summer driving.

Gloves, I have two pairs, a summer pair, light weight but still grippy so hands don’t sweat too much but great grip plus no oils and sweat on the steering wheel so keeps it looking fresh. I go for Alpinestars Motorcross for summer and Alpinestars Tech1 V4 for winter.

Hope that helps

A7t0m

Post by A7t0m » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:37 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Went to Branshatch circuit and bought helmet and gloves.
h2.jpg
h2.jpg (55.12 KiB) Viewed 474 times
h3.jpg
h3.jpg (72.22 KiB) Viewed 474 times

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:19 am

Excellent choices - don't think you'll go far wrong with those.

As Luckky above says though.. a tinted visor is highly recommended - They help concentration, are priceless in the summer (especially low sun mornings and evenings) and look absolutely badass, let's be honest.

My personal preference is blue iridium ;)

Oh, and for winter, a clear visor with the pink Arai anti-fog insert is bloody magical too