Greetings; and Few Questions

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
rider

Greetings; and Few Questions

Post by rider » Wed May 31, 2023 1:33 am

Hey guys. I’m a long time lurker and a massive fan of Atom. Absolutely would love to have a 4. My ideal goal is to have an A4 and Seven 420R. But, I'll start with A4 and consider Seven before ICE gets sunset. I'm located in the US by the way.

I've a few questions I'm trying to figure out.
1. Since the controls (steering, clutch and break) are unassisted, are they difficult to use?
1.1 On a related note, is it hard to switch back and forth between Atom (unassisted) and regular sports cars (with assisted controls)?
2. Is it possible for the driver to get inside without stepping on the seat? I'm a clean-freak! Stepping on the seat with dirty shoes is a no-go!

Before putting down the deposit, I'll really need to find a way to drive one just for 10 minutes.

Thanks.
-- Henry

-- '07 MV Agusta F4 -- '16 Boxster Spyder (981) -- '22 Miata Grand Touring -- '23 718 Spyder (982)

speedmachine

Re: Greetings; and Few Questions

Post by speedmachine » Wed May 31, 2023 6:49 am

1 easy peasy, the car weighs 1/3 of a regular car, so doenst need the assists
1.1 no problem
2 is possible, but less easy and the hard plastic is easy to clean.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed May 31, 2023 8:39 am

Answer to all three.

Nope
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm

In my experience,
1) clutch is the same, steering is fine like a go kart lol, braking I found a bit different without servo assist, you need to press on it a bit harder than usual.
1.1) I’m comfortable switching from atom to hatchback to SUV to van regularly.
2)if your steering wheel is removable it is possible to step in without standing on the seat but clean your trainers and get on with it and stand on the centre of the seat lol.

Some driving experiences may allow you to drive an Atom. Otherwise you’d be lucky to get a shot of one on private grounds, or on public roads if you get the proper insurance.

Hope this helps 👍🏼

rider

Post by rider » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:30 am

Thank you, gentlemen; appreciate the responses.

speedmachine wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:49 am .....2 is possible, but less easy and the hard plastic is easy to clean.
Might be easy to clean; but, it's the idea of stepping on the seat with shoes that I'm having a problem with! 8)

JT1020 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm ...
1) ........you need to press on it a bit harder than usual.
2)if your steering wheel is removable it is possible to step in without standing on the seat but clean your trainers and get on with it and stand on the centre of the seat lol.

Some driving experiences may allow you to drive an Atom. Otherwise you’d be lucky to get a shot of one on private grounds, or on public roads if you get the proper insurance.

Hope this helps 👍🏼
Yeah, I expect the controls, break pedal in particular, needing much more pressure; understandable. But, glad to know it's not jarring when switching between regular vehicles and Atom. Just needed a confirmation.

One mitigation I'm thinking with respect to seat issue (to me) is to place a rug (such as a small bathroom rug) on the seat, step on it, once in pull it out; reverse the process when getting out. Would need some practice to perfect it; but, doable!

Will need to hit up the US sub-forum and Facebook for a sympathetic A4 owner for a 10-minute drive in exchange for a nice, fat lunch and a few rounds of ice cold ones! TMI, the US builder, is useless in promoting and helping potential buyers. They couldn't care less; I'm even willing to pay for a drive. So, just have to rely on sympathetic owners.

Thanks again guys.
-- Henry

-- '07 MV Agusta F4 -- '16 Boxster Spyder (981) -- '22 Miata Grand Touring -- '23 718 Spyder (982)

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:35 am

I think you’re overthinking getting the seat dirty. When you drive along all sorts of debris and wildlife runs through the car.
It another solution may be, a seat cover, or you can put a small piece of clear vinyl wrap on the seat and then have a small dusting cloth hidden away to wipe it. That’s what I’d do if it bugged me. ✌🏼. Were about in the U.S are you?

reggaeo

Post by reggaeo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:43 pm

FYI it is about a 2 yr wait if you order new in the US by my estimate. I have been waiting 15 mths with no end in sight.

skyfx

Post by skyfx » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:49 pm

reggaeo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:43 pm FYI it is about a 2 yr wait if you order new in the US by my estimate. I have been waiting 15 mths with no end in sight.
Even 2 yrs is probably wishful thinking. I'm coming up on that next month with no end in sight. What's the latest estimate you've been given? Also, care to share your chassis number?

If you're interested, shoot me a private message with your cell number, and I'll get you added to a Whatsapp group some other US-based owners and I started.

rider

Post by rider » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:23 pm

JT1020 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm ......
Forgot to address: I don't plan to spec removable steering wheel. One less component to fail (due to regular/frequent removal).

JT1020 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:35 am I think you’re overthinking getting the seat dirty. When you drive along all sorts of debris and wildlife runs through the car.
It another solution may be, a seat cover, or you can put a small piece of clear vinyl wrap on the seat and then have a small dusting cloth hidden away to wipe it. That’s what I’d do if it bugged me. ✌🏼. Were about in the U.S are you?
I really do need to over-think this through as I'm a germaphobe! ;) With the clear side panels on, do you still think debris can fly-in? I'm in Minneapolis.
reggaeo wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:43 pm FYI it is about a 2 yr wait if you order new in the US by my estimate. I have been waiting 15 mths with no end in sight.
Reading others' comments and experiences, it appears the actual wait time is "unknown"! TMI can't be trusted for any kind of time estimate. We want the car; they are the only game in town. So, they can play however they want. Pure-ICE sunset is imminent. The next Civic Type R is highly likely to be hybrid. Atom would follow suit. So, the demand will continue to climb. Thankfully, I can wait.
-- Henry

Ben_payne

Post by Ben_payne » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:07 am

I get in without standing on the seat and the wheel on.

Sit on the chassis.
One leg in. In front of the seat.
Hold chassis and put other leg in.
Lower yourself in...

Easy!

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:28 am

I’d rather not sit on the chassis over fear of scratching it with buttons from your jeans etc.

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:17 am

Considering the amount of bug guts, bird crap, horse manure, mud, rainwater, pigeon parts and other non-specific filth I’ve cleaned out of my Atom over just 12 months… despite having side panels… I really don’t think it’s the kind of car for a germaphobe who doesn’t want to stand on the seat ;) . You may want to look at some other options?

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:50 pm

Horse manure? You been watching too much Back To The Future 😅… “ I Hate MANURE” lol.
Yeh all cars get bug splats regardless. Because the Ariel vehicles have no normal body panels per say so the bug splats get in all nooks and crannies lol ✌🏼

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:13 pm

Yup, took a shortcut last autumn down a country lane and ended up with loads of horseshit in the car! Thankfully it’s mainly just disassembled insects most of the time.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:32 pm

To avoid damaging the seat I am using a piece of insulation mat. You can just replace it when it becomes dirty or ugly.
Just an idea and there are certainly more beautiful ways to do it 😉
Attachments
Screenshot_20230603-182626_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230603-182626_Gallery.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 4244 times