The curious case of the Atom 4 Cooling

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Monza

Re: The curious case of the Atom 4 Cooling

Post by Monza » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:22 pm

On the Atom 2, 3 and 3.5, but that's not the subject discussed here, the fan and the optional electrical pump are driven by the water temp sensor only (both starting together at about 92-95°c).

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:37 pm

On my Elise with a K20 on ITBs we replaced the mechanical water pump with a BMW efficient dynamics electric one. Even with a separate controller we ran too cool until we put a thermostat and a bypass loop back in.

I have the uprated cooling on the Atom with the EWP and I think it just keeps the flow moving when the mechanical pump would be slowing down.

Isn’t there a risk that the opening and the radiator are just too small for the amount of cooling that is needed?
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:13 pm

plip1953 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 am Although before that I think we are going to try to route more air directly at the radiator.
Based on Bob Smiths original idea's i have made this as a first attempt although i'm waiting till on track so i can log temps before then fit and try.

Photo's of intake and air catcher i made.
Attachments
Atom 4 Air Catcher Above.jpg
Atom 4 Air Catcher Above.jpg (487.4 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Atom 4 Air Catcher Front.jpg
Atom 4 Air Catcher Front.jpg (713.34 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Atom 4 Radiator Hole.jpg
Atom 4 Radiator Hole.jpg (818.58 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

salvechris

Post by salvechris » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:39 pm

Don´t know if this getting on top of the "may be too small cooling intake"
but if you look behind the radiator, it is very hot there. even the fuse box is for my feeling to hot.
May be it is not just getting more air into the radiator but also to get the hot air after the radiator better managend to not build-up heat???

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:24 pm

I think that sounds plausible - there is no obvious clean exit pathway for the hot air.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:08 pm

salvechris wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:39 pm Don´t know if this getting on top of the "may be too small cooling intake"
but if you look behind the radiator, it is very hot there. even the fuse box is for my feeling to hot.
May be it is not just getting more air into the radiator but also to get the hot air after the radiator better managend to not build-up heat???
Agree with that, touch the relays even after a short drive and they are toasty, I though there was an issue at first - it seems to have a dead spot.

My car is the ex Simon car mentioned earlier, it came with plenty of gold stuff, some of which needed reapplying and also added the turbo jacket - alas I can't verify if there is a massive improvement as I haven't done any track work, only N. Wales road trips, which although fast paced will never see the amount of load you see on track engine wise

Anyway, much like Jasons the car has:

Fuel tank done (no pics at the moment)

Airbox, negligible gain, but not pointless:

Airbox to turbo (runs over turbo)

Airbox to Turbo with Coolant lines also wrapped to avoid heat soak:

Intercooler cool side to intake manifold

Funk turbo jacket added:

DEI heatsheld added in replacement of the OE Ali sheet item:

The exhaust is also lagged from downpipe with a jacket, and the DEI material over decat back to the sports exhaust, you can see the lagging here, I'm just not at home to take pics of the rest of it, but the whole exhaust after the turbo is shielded

I have an oil cooler sitting there ready to go on, but for my driving its just not needed - temps barely move, but again I am not a track monster and haven't had the chance to get on track. It may be needed on track perhaps, but for the road I don't want to introduce more connections in the oil circuit for the sake of it.

I would look to intercooler next if there was still an issue to reduce the IAT's as I believe the intercooler could do with some work. I would hope there would be real improvement in the work that was done before the car, but I couldn't tell you if this was due to IAT reduction or coolant reduction prevented it pulling timing.

The logging done at the time was logging the water temp and IAT (but focusing very heavily on water) and matching that to speed - thats correlation not causation, so really would need logging from the ECU to tell you what measure was pulling the timing. I suspect without the engine entering limp mode via coolant trigger, it was infact the IAT's - looking at the logs Simon posted the biggest improvements after the goldification process was indeed to the IAT's rather than coolant.

But again, its guesstimating at best without logging on the ECU to see root cause

Only other thing to add the heat soak measured with an IR probe was something like 50% down on the turbo heatshield and surrounding pipework, on an unshielded 350 4 vs mine all lagged and covered, so its doing something

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:45 am

[mention]mynamesnotbob[/mention] the last sentence, by shielded turbo, you mean the funk jacket for the turbo or that and all the gold stuff together?
I think such a jacket should make a big difference, had one on my big turbo scooby and it made ALL the difference for the heatsoak, night and day difference

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:23 am

speedmachine wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:45 am @mynamesnotbob the last sentence, by shielded turbo, you mean the funk jacket for the turbo or that and all the gold stuff together?
I think such a jacket should make a big difference, had one on my big turbo scooby and it made ALL the difference for the heatsoak, night and day difference
The Turbo Jacket and DEI Heatshield (this stuff https://www.designengineering.com/form- ... d-21-x-48/) in place of the Ali factory item - one you could taste a marshmallow off, the other (mine) you can virtually touch - both after a flat out run

The DEI is on the exhaust running under the sump, so has a beneficial effect on oil temp (I'd imagine).

The gold stuff is all useful and helps, but until you get the hot side of the turbo acting as a massive radiant heat pump, its a loosing battle - but again thats my opinion and until you are running probes in there and monitoring downstream effects, its correlation not causation

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:27 pm

My Atom has the full downpipe, under engine pipe and link pipe to silencer zircotec coated, i also have PTP blankets on the downpipe and intake pipe. PRL didn't want me to fit a turbo blanket to my turbo as i have there PRL P600 turbo fitted and it can over time cook the bearings (there words not mine). I'm not a big lover of all the gold tape / covers but needs must. I can see the logic of this on the intercooler pipe that runs behind the turbo so i have ordered that the same goes with the protective tape on the fuel tank for cooler fuel. I'm hoping this will all help.
My tuner wants me to ditch the intercooler and fit an air to water one but with no where to house radiators i'm stuck. Will tune as is now and if doesn't work will look at possibility of side pods like my 3.5R then have space for oil coolers / radiators / possibly more engine cooling depending what result i have from current mods and any future suggestions that come up on this forum. Cheers Stuart

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:36 pm

salvechris wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:39 pm Don´t know if this getting on top of the "may be too small cooling intake"
Chris, good thinking.
You need to reduce the heat buildup behind the radiator but also get the airstream forced into the radiator at higher pressure.
These measures have significantly increased the efficiency of my car.

You won't be able to avoid logging coolant temp, engine oil temp and intake temp.
Otherwise you will never find where the problem is.
Everything else is fishing in the dark. :doh:
Ariel Atom 3 [2010] Honda 2.0 K20Z4 with JacksonRacing SC only 370PS :H: - never, ever for sale
Abarth 595 Competizione [2016] - now my daughters car
Porsche 718 Spyder [11/2019] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:49 am

Monza wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:14 pm The electric pump on the Atom 4 was not fitted on the earlier Atom 4.
The ECU is in charge of it (if you don't have it on your Atom 4 and want to fit one, the ECU sofware has to be updated).
The electrical pump is a part of the cooling upgrade option : different radiator, electrical pump and lower temp calorstat.
If my memory is good, but not 100% sure here, the electrical pump is starting before the radiator fan or at least, at the same time, so well before 100°c.
K20A2 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:53 pm
plip1953 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 am I'm assuming (but don't know) that the fan won't be active when roadspeed is above a certain level
If it helps: At least referring to the Atom 3 I could confirm, that once started the fan is running independent from the road speed.
My latest information is that both the rad fan and electric pump (where fitted) kick in together and run whenever coolant temps are higher than 82degC.

And whilst it clearly makes sense to run the electric pump whenever the thermostat is fully open, but I'm surprised that the electric fan supposedly cuts in at such a low temperature. I would have expected at more like 90degC and then cut off when temps fall back to the mid 80s?

I also understand that the fuse for the electric pump has a tendency to blow, so checking before any kind of track action would seem like a good idea.

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:49 am

plip1953 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:49 am
ABOVE POST EDITED HERE

My latest information is that both the rad fan and electric pump (where fitted) kick in together and run whenever coolant temps are higher than 84degC.

And whilst it clearly makes sense to run the electric pump whenever the thermostat is fully open, but I'm surprised that the electric fan supposedly cuts in at such a low temperature. I would have expected at more like 90degC and then cut off when temps fall back to the mid 80s?

I also understand that the fuse for the electric pump has a tendency to blow, so checking before any kind of track action would seem like a good idea.

Mrlizard

Post by Mrlizard » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 pm

my coolant runs at 96deg just cruising about, doesnt seem to get noticeably higher when pushing it a 'little' but surprised to see people running in the 80's...

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:42 pm

Mrlizard wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 pm my coolant runs at 96deg just cruising about, doesnt seem to get noticeably higher when pushing it a 'little' but surprised to see people running in the 80's...

Anything in the 90s does seem rather high when simply cruising around.

I've just looked at a recent log of temps over a 13miles fairly spirited pleasure run on rural B roads and the coolant temp varied between 79 and a max of 86degC.

Do you have the uprated cooling package?

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:43 pm

an FYI - 90s temperatures cruising around is totally normal... that is a temperature that is across the board of manufacturers. Cars run alot hotter these days!