First timer insurance

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
chrisrussell1990

First timer insurance

Post by chrisrussell1990 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 am

Hi guys.

I'm a new member to the forum. I've been looking at Atoms for a few years, and I'm finally getting one at the end of this week. I'm asking a few questions about insurance for first time Atom owners. I know this has been covered in the forums before as I searched though, however some insurance providers have changed their policies. Thankfully I have a modified car which is insurance by Adrian Flux, so they were able to cover me, however, 1) Its pretty expensive and 2) It doesn't include track days.

I called Reis insurance and they are not willing to insure me until I've owned the car for one year. This seems a little odd as they never asked any details bar when I was going to own the car. No questions about age, no claims bonus, accidents etc. Only what cars I've driven previously. When I called a few years regarding insurance, they were willing to provide a quotation, however they have since changed their policy. This is quite frustrating as I know Reis can include track day insurance, hence why I wanted to go with them.

I've tried NFU Mutual and they don't want to give a quotation either. They said to try their Classic cars department, but I've not managed to get through yet.

I'm going to try HIC tomorrow when the phone lines open up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to try? If its relevant I'm 31 with 9 years no claims, no at fault claims and no points in the last five years. Atom will be kept in a secure garage on the property etc.

Thanks. Hopefully get to know some of you soon.

Chris

Italianpaul

Re: First timer insurance

Post by Italianpaul » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:15 am

Hi Chris, hope you enjoy your Atom once you get it. I am insured with A Plan and have just renewed my policy. I did try to get alternative quotes but found the same as you, Classic Lines insure a friend's Atom but told me that they were no longer insuring Atoms. A Plan didn't give me any discount for my no claims built up and my insurance has gone up this year and is expensive but does include 10 track days and the excess is £1500 for track days and not the standard 10% of amount insured. There is a list of possible insurers on the forum if you do a search. There are certainly far more Atoms on track now compared to a couple of years ago, so that might have some influence on which companies are prepared to insure Atoms.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:47 pm

Welcome - I am sure you'll enjoy Atom ownership.

To give you an idea, I renewed my Atom insurance this week, but with no track day cover, via A-Plan for £315, 3k miles. I am 52, live in Cornwall, no accidents etc, and have 7 years no claims which I have protected. Classicline quoted £380 - which did include track days, but only ones organised by the Ariel Owner's Club - they don't supply/need any no claims.

I'd try both. Good luck.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Jamier27

Post by Jamier27 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:03 pm

I am with A plan too.
I didn’t really shop about tbh. Not at all.

I pay £700 ish for my atom. 5 TD is £200 extra that they said they would hold so can take out when I want.

I am in cumbria and 43 clean licence protected NCB

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:01 pm

MSM is another alternative. Mention you are a member of AC. Details here: https://www.msminsurance.co.uk/
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

chrisrussell1990

Post by chrisrussell1990 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 pm

Thank you for all the replies guys. I will try A plan and MSM. it's due to come on Sunday, so I'm really looking forward to it. Just in time for the summer (ish...I live in Scotland haha).

farmerjames

Post by farmerjames » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:19 pm

I was in exactly the same boat a few weeks ago, Reis weren't sure given my previous car ownership history but then said that "as you drive a 2012 Cayenne" they would do it, not sure if they misheard or that a 2t SUV is some sort of help in understanding how an Atom drives. Either way I went with A-Plan for £665 (Reis were £900) trackdays can be added, I'm 43, no NCB to transfer and no accidents or convictions. Enjoy it when you get it, they are incredible!

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:31 am

A-plan (thatcham branch) for me as well. Good value I think, £550 for cover and 5 track days. 45 and no incidents in Essex area.

chrisrussell1990

Post by chrisrussell1990 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:02 pm

Yeah its been a right pain haha. As it stands, Adrian Flux are insuring me, however there are no track days included and its £850. Both Reis and A plan have said no as they wanted me to have driven something similar or something with 400/500bhp (regardless of weight). I've got a modified light weight turbo charged, track - Toyota GT86, however they weren't willing to accept that as something similar. I said I've driven the Atom itself as I'm buying it off a friend and they wanted me to have owned it for at least a year. I'm still waiting on MSM getting back to see if they will provide a quotation.

It is what it is and I'm glad I can at least get something with Ardian flux. Just looks like it will be an expensive first year and then hopefully drop later.

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:23 pm

I went with classicline. A plan were fine, but not the cheapest. REIS were a bit useless but it think that was the chap I spoke to who was clueless and I couldn’t be bothered with (they’ve insured me for years, but seem to be going downhill)

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:09 am

I use Yutree with a private fleet policy covering most of my cars. Different restrictions and excesses on each car. There was no issue with the Atom and my wife is now covered though it seemed impossible before. Overall saved me quite a bit of cash! I'm sure there are very few on here with only one car, so could be worth pursuing.
A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.