Hello from potential Atom owner

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
willox

Hello from potential Atom owner

Post by willox » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:54 pm

Happy new year guys!!

I'm on the hunt for an Ariel Atom and have been checking out the forum over the last week or so and I'm liking it.Great source of information, i have read various posts regarding differences etc but haven't decided on what to buy as yet.Kind of narrowed down my search for 3.5,3.5 R or a 4 :-\ big price variation, do I buy in at 40k or go near double for the latest car.The yellow Atom 4 looks a cracking car and ill make enquiries on it when things open up, also 2 3.5R on auto trader but big money as in same as a specced 4.

few questions....
How much are they to insure and who's best to go with and does anyone take track insurance on there policies?
Comfort,may sound silly but I have a sore lower back, happy to hang on when the adrenaline is pumping on track, how are they on a 100 mile spin out on a sunny afternoon? reviews say the are very compliant.

Keep reading the importance of factory service history, my issue is I live in north east Scotland and its a mega run to the factory and back.Been in the car trade 25 years and would be happy to do my own maintenance,do much people do this as they seem pretty simple and I'm sure the Honda motor well serviced would be a pretty robust unit.

Never looked into an Atom as much as now, thought about buying one on a few occasions but never felt brave enough, this time round I'm more keen than ever, last couple of years with the 4 released I've craved to try a turbocharged one, after looking into them I'm loving the look of a 3.5R and driving experience in either must be mega.Come to conclusion a 3.5 would be the same experience as I don't know anything about them, barely looked at one in the flesh and sure it would be a hit first time.Do like trick bits and all the gadgets hence nudging towards 3.5R or a 4 to save modifying a more standard car.

Anyway,if anyone has anything above that is for sale, get in touch as I would be genuinely interested, funds are good to go and ill be travelling to buy what I think suits me and not kick tyres or test drive.My wife says I'm not aloud one,dont know if others have this problem but thinking get one bought, deal with her and go and enjoy some motoring madness when it kicks off :D

Cheers and all the best for the new year, hopefully be driving an Atom this summer around Aberdeenshire and Knockhill.

Martin

IanG

Re: Hello from potential Atom owner

Post by IanG » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 pm

Hi Martin
All the cars you are looking at are great to drive

3.5 is older you get the supercharger whine on the 310 which is additive.

3.5R is an amazing car same engine but more power
Remember there is a 2.0 litre and a 2.4 litre car

4 is an amazing car turbocharged so a different experience
The 4 is more updated than a 3.5

Easy to drive on a 100 mile day out I have a lower back problem never have any problems.

Service is a marmite subject some say it has to have a full factory service
Others are more than capable to work in their own cars
Steve at this the factory are always on the end of the phone and always willing to help with anything.

Insurance is a bit of a area some have track day cover some not
Budget for around £500 -£1000

The only thing to make up your mind is pay what you are happy with they are all a great place to be

Hopefully that helps wive will love it or hate them
Just turn up with it and see how it goes

Ian

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:13 am

Supercharged or turbocharged? That's the real difference.

I drove my (fantastic) old car, a supercharged 3, nearly 700 miles in a day from West London to Zurich (with detours) in complete comfort. The ride and seat comfort is far, far better than you would expect. I'm sure the 4 is as good as the 3 in that respect.

Alan
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:35 pm

Welcome!

There are at least a few guys based up your way. Not sure if they're on here or on the Ariel.club Facebook group so it'd be worth joining that if you haven't already.

The yellow Atom 4 from the factory is fantastically spec'd and very well priced because a lot of 4s have been sold above list price. I can't comment on the older cars but the 4 is incredible on the road and track. I drive my car to the track and it's very easy to live with on longer journeys. Absolutely night and day compared to my old Caterham and actually better than some road cars. With boost control, you can tone things down on the road when needed (350bhp on the road is tough to fully exploit without going licence losing speed). I actually really enjoy the lower boost map for B road blasts and then cranking it up for overtakes, track usage etc.

For insurance I pay around £800 per year with REIS including 5 track days (31 years old, 1 year NCB on this car). Insurance costs for me seemed to depend on experience in similar vehicles, mileage, and whether I had a tracker fitted.

I've heard some people who don't have factory service history have offered to get the factory to look over the car and fix any potential issues as a condition of sale. That'd certainly put my mind at ease if I was buying a car without factory history.

Whatever model Atom you go for, you'll have an absolute blast. Do it! 😁

willox

Post by willox » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:20 pm

IanG wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 pm Hi Martin
All the cars you are looking at are great to drive

3.5 is older you get the supercharger whine on the 310 which is additive.

3.5R is an amazing car same engine but more power
Remember there is a 2.0 litre and a 2.4 litre car

4 is an amazing car turbocharged so a different experience
The 4 is more updated than a 3.5

Easy to drive on a 100 mile day out I have a lower back problem never have any problems.

Service is a marmite subject some say it has to have a full factory service
Others are more than capable to work in their own cars
Steve at this the factory are always on the end of the phone and always willing to help with anything.

Insurance is a bit of a area some have track day cover some not
Budget for around £500 -£1000

The only thing to make up your mind is pay what you are happy with they are all a great place to be

Hopefully that helps wive will love it or hate them
Just turn up with it and see how it goes

Ian
Thanks for the info Ian,called to enquire on a 3.5R today on auto trader at Hendy Performance in Poole but they have taken a deposit on it,what a lovely looking car.Pricey to insure but its an expensive car.Good to hear they are comfortable enough and worst case get a proper seat that fits me.For sure, get it and deal with it :tu:
AlanP wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:13 am Supercharged or turbocharged? That's the real difference.

I drove my (fantastic) old car, a supercharged 3, nearly 700 miles in a day from West London to Zurich (with detours) in complete comfort. The ride and seat comfort is far, far better than you would expect. I'm sure the 4 is as good as the 3 in that respect.

Alan
Seems thats the thing, supercharge or turbo.Good that you can do some miles in them, either models expect it to be a bit of a weapon!!
Preseh wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:35 pm Welcome!

There are at least a few guys based up your way. Not sure if they're on here or on the Ariel.club Facebook group so it'd be worth joining that if you haven't already.

The yellow Atom 4 from the factory is fantastically spec'd and very well priced because a lot of 4s have been sold above list price. I can't comment on the older cars but the 4 is incredible on the road and track. I drive my car to the track and it's very easy to live with on longer journeys. Absolutely night and day compared to my old Caterham and actually better than some road cars. With boost control, you can tone things down on the road when needed (350bhp on the road is tough to fully exploit without going licence losing speed). I actually really enjoy the lower boost map for B road blasts and then cranking it up for overtakes, track usage etc.

For insurance I pay around £800 per year with REIS including 5 track days (31 years old, 1 year NCB on this car). Insurance costs for me seemed to depend on experience in similar vehicles, mileage, and whether I had a tracker fitted.

I've heard some people who don't have factory service history have offered to get the factory to look over the car and fix any potential issues as a condition of sale. That'd certainly put my mind at ease if I was buying a car without factory history.

Whatever model Atom you go for, you'll have an absolute blast. Do it! 😁
Haha....Do it!!! I'd love to and I'm working on it.The 4 at Ariel looks a cracker, really like the colours, forged rims with yokohams, carbon mudguards and loaded with the gadgets.Will make an enquiry when they open,sorted looking car and some spoilers would finish the look 8) Cheers :tu: