Dream Car

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
autobackup

Re: Dream Car

Post by autobackup » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:38 pm

I know someone whose wife won a McLaren Spider which turned out to be the most basic spec available.

- he had to contact McLaren to add over £70,000 worth of extras prior to the build to make it up to a decent 'resaleable' spec - luckily he had sufficient 'moola' available to accomplish this!!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 am

Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pmHi no offence taken I am trying to source the same parts it is just the price on the options sheet doesn’t seem that much of a saving considering they are replacing parts that are already on the car so I figured I would wait and perhaps buy them later instead of paying out so much at the one time for the extras thanks.
Very sensible. A lot of new Atom owners don't think too much about spending many thousands on their Atoms. For others, buying a more basic Atom and then saving up for upgrades is a more realistic option, and at the end of the day even a more basic Atom will be a brilliant and fun car.

Make sure you post up the obligatory collection day photos and enjoy your car. :tu:

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 am

Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm Hi no offence taken I am trying to source the same parts it is just the price on the options sheet doesn’t seem that much of a saving considering they are replacing parts that are already on the car so I figured I would wait and perhaps buy them later instead of paying out so much at the one time for the extras thanks.
You could already ask Ariel for the prices of the parts you perhaps want to add/replace later to get a good idea of the costs.
Most prices will certainly differ from the configuration sheet.
ADDING options later might be less expensive than REPLACING already existing parts.
E.g. the price difference to ADD the 3 stage boost control later would probably be less than to REPLACE the brakes, because you pay them twice, parts and labour.
Also selling the used parts would be hardly possible, because the standard options are not that famous. ;)

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:54 pm

Squarebeard is this you if so congratulations on taking delivery looks good spec?

squarebeard

Post by squarebeard » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:32 am

Yes! That's mine. Thanks - I hadn't seen the video.
I made a post about my new Atom last week here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18776
I have my first trackday coming up in 2 weeks. Really looking forward to that. Other than one more quick street ride on sticky-type temporary Danish number plates, my car will be spending its winter in a Copenhagen parking garage until it's time to begin the German inspection and registration process in the spring.
35 months of waiting were a real challenge. I came close to tapping out more than once. But I'm so thrilled with the results that it all seems to have made sense in the end. :checkeredflag:

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:12 am

Amazing story! And fingers crossed for getting it registered.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:46 pm

squarebeard wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:32 am Yes! That's mine. Thanks - I hadn't seen the video.
I made a post about my new Atom last week here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18776
I have my first trackday coming up in 2 weeks. Really looking forward to that. Other than one more quick street ride on sticky-type temporary Danish number plates, my car will be spending its winter in a Copenhagen parking garage until it's time to begin the German inspection and registration process in the spring.
35 months of waiting were a real challenge. I came close to tapping out more than once. But I'm so thrilled with the results that it all seems to have made sense in the end. :checkeredflag:

Not trying to tell you how to look after your car but I thought you were supposed to run it in gently over 500 miles before using full throttle and any track days

squarebeard

Post by squarebeard » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:42 am

I believe you're right, Charlie, the handbook agrees! I've been driving around a little, so I could change the oil now. I've had a think about this - I would normally always follow factory recommendations, but I don't think the risk is all that great that I break anything. You could definitely argue that I wear my engine a bit harder than what's good by winding it up on break-in oil, but I plan to go at a medium pace and can't imagine I'll even be around when my Honda engine one day is too worn to run well. I guess I'm looking at it as a calculated risk with solid rewards. -Tim

squarebeard

Post by squarebeard » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:11 pm

squarebeard wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:42 am I believe you're right, Charlie, th...
Wouldn't you know the factory reached out by email? :tu: So on a trackday in a new Atom 4 with under 500 km on it - I do need to watch the clutch and brakes - both of them have to wear-in over time with varied driving styles. I can feel that the clutch still needs more wearing in, so no launches yet, but the brakes are starting to show signs of life! The engine is good to go, full throttle, though I'm aiming for keeping things 8/10. No need to break anything on my first time out, and hoping that I can get away with this one set of ZZRs for most of next season. Tyre management!

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:39 pm

squarebeard wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:11 pm
squarebeard wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:42 am I believe you're right, Charlie, th...
Wouldn't you know the factory reached out by email? :tu: So on a trackday in a new Atom 4 with under 500 km on it - I do need to watch the clutch and brakes - both of them have to wear-in over time with varied driving styles. I can feel that the clutch still needs more wearing in, so no launches yet, but the brakes are starting to show signs of life! The engine is good to go, full throttle, though I'm aiming for keeping things 8/10. No need to break anything on my first time out, and hoping that I can get away with this one set of ZZRs for most of next season. Tyre management!

Glad to hear you are still going to have some fun I am a believer a well run in engine would also perhaps make a couple of extra horsepower