Are there any Atom 4 owners in Kent

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Caterham+7

Are there any Atom 4 owners in Kent

Post by Caterham+7 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Hello All
Currently have my name on the waiting list for the 4
Two years and counting.
I have had a number if sevens over the years currently running a CSR 260 which i have owned for around eight years i wondered if anyone else had done similar and what the impressions are by way of comparison.
Car shall mainly be used for the road.
Car shall be kept in brick built car port on side of house wondered when all this lockdown over someone could pop by and try it for size
Welcome any comments
All the best

phil4

Re: Are there any Atom 4 owners in Kent

Post by phil4 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Check insurance. It seems most insurance companies want it garaged (or in a shed). Can you put doors on your carport and turn it into a garage?

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Hello Phil
Thanks for your message.I live in a period cottage the front door to the house is inside of the structure it's actually part of house.
It's basically a garage without a door. If push came to shove for sure could put one on

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:34 pm

Heya, that's great news, whether you do or not is of course your choice, just warning you that it seems it's a very common requirement for insurance.

Sorry I can't really help on the other bits, never had a Caterham unfortunately.

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks Phil i appreciate you letting me know

All the best

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 pm

There are a few on this forum who have owned both. They may reply here also. I haven’t owned a Caterham but have driven them. Hired them and help build one once. I nearly bought one before opting for the Atom 3.5. In my view the Atom beats the Caterham in nearly every aspect; build quality, performance, space, looks, Safety, customer service. The one area where the Caterham can be marginally better, is handling in certain scenarios, eg drifting. Simply because the weights are more evenly distributed, but I don’t thinks there’s much between the two in this respect. The Atom 4, which I haven’t driven yet, is in another league altogether from what I can see, with its new suspension etc. Last weeks Autocar put it as no 1 drivers car out of 50. The Caterham was 10 or 12 places lower.

I’d still like a Caterham someday, as well as my Atom :-) if I could afford both. It’s a fine light weight. And a Morgan 3 wheeler and, and and....

Hopefully someone will be along soon and give you a more informed comparison based on owning both

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Thanks Graeme
Appreciate your comments.
Feel i need a change it's my 4th Caterham having done the R500 etc but the CSR is by far and away the best imo.
The only car that i feel drawn towards is the Atom for sure.
I was talking to someone the other day about the 620s and they reckon they are getting around 120 miles between fill ups
Do you know if the 4 takes normal unleaded
Thanks again

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 am

You can use unleaded in an emergency - ie, you're low on fuel & they don't sell super - but otherwise, no, it's not advisable. I've done that once, just to get me to a place that sold super. Wouldn't fill her up with normal, though.

Cheers,
Hedge

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks for that Hedge.
Are you concerned in anyway that the way all things going could be hard to get super in the future

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 am

I found a lot of garages were out of V power and super when I was driving back on Tuesday. So found myself constantly driving into garages only to find a zip tie over the good stuff. Locally though it's not a problem which is good.

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 am

Thanks Simon
How do you feel about getting the higher grade long term are you reasonably confident should not present a problem

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri May 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Caterham+7 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 am Thanks Simon
How do you feel about getting the higher grade long term are you reasonably confident should not present a problem
The 97 octane seems to be fairly easily obtainable which is what the Atom needs as a minimum, I prefer the 99 octane stuff like v power. This seems in short supply.

Caterham+7

Post by Caterham+7 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks Simon i have another year to decide i guess i need to keep an eye on it locally before committing as need to be able to fill it up.
Have a great weekend