Joining in on the fun

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Fly911turbo

Joining in on the fun

Post by Fly911turbo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:08 am

Hi everyone. Potentially I’m another new owner. Got a deposit down with the factory for that black 2018 3.5 Atom with only 850 road only miles on it.

I’ve been reading your posts and trying to get to know the car and brand before I collect the car next week. This is my first dedicated track car. My passion is driving the Nordschelife and I visit twice a month in the summer. I’ve seen atoms go around the track and they look like serious fun!

Currently I drive a Corvette and had an M4 and Type R, so this is quite a different animal. I would rent a garage and keep it local to the ring during summer.

I have no idea if the car I am buying is a good fit for my track use. It has Alcon brakes and Ohlins, but I know zero about the cars or what options are considered essential. Is this one worth the 55k or do I need to spend ££ on getting it ready to fly?

Thanks guys. Any help is much appreciated.

Nigel.

phil4

Re: Joining in on the fun

Post by phil4 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:16 am

Hi Nigel,

First off welcome!

Let's cut to the chase:
Yes, it's worth the asking price.
Yes, it's a good fit for what you want to do.

Now in a bit more detail. Any Atom is going to be good round a track, it's principally what they're designed and built for. Each of the options that are then chosen (because the car really does start as a blank canvas), can be more road oriented (central brake lights, locking fuel caps) or track (eg. baffled sump or race needle roller bell cranks).

The car you've chosen has definitely gone down the track route more than the road. Yes you could do more track/race options (eg. Chromoloy wishbones, plumbed in fire extinguisher)... but what you have has very little road flab, and is a good long way along the track route.

Depending how hard you can push this there are even more things you could consider if you've got the £££.

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 am

Hi Nigel,

Welcome, and what a cracking looking car you've bought!

It has everything that you'll ever need in the real world to be extremely quick.

From what I can see the only thing that I would consider for the future is a set of Dymag wheels, which are both lighter and allow you to fit wider tyres on the rear (245 rather than 225.)

You can also buy Rota wheels that do this job too (non Factory but vastly cheaper.)

Either option would need wider rear mudguards but It's an easy fit. I certainly wouldn't worry about it for a while.

You don't need me to tell you anything about the Ring but the good news is that the Atom goes brilliantly well there, especially with the Ohlins. I would consider removing the front wing though as I think you could do some damage to it on some sections where the ends are likely to strike the ground (coming back up after the Foxhole etc, and obvs the Karussell.)

There will be a few of us there in October if you're about.

Cheers,
Stu

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:36 am

It looks really well specced for what you want. The only slightly surprising omission is Dymags. I think they would make a noticeable difference.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Alan

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:38 am

Stupid question. What are the noise restrictions at Nurburgring? None I guess?
A

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:45 am

Answer is 95dBA

I'm surprised it's so low.

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:30 am

AlanP wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:45 am Answer is 95dBA

I'm surprised it's so low.
That sounds like the circuit, the Ring itself can't be anything like that as I've never ever seen a car pulled and a Lambo on full chat is not a quiet thing!

Any Atom will be fine, even with the Sports Exhaust.

Cheers,
Stu

Fly911turbo

Post by Fly911turbo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 am

Hi Stu and Alan.
Thank you for your thoughts on this car. I am excited and looking forward to getting it next week.

Hope to meet at the Ring or track day here. I live near Gatwick.

Nigel.