Potential owner in Leeds

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Andydg

Potential owner in Leeds

Post by Andydg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Looking to buy my first Atom
Viewed one at an independant car dealer at the weekend.
It's advertised as full service history.
The service book has three hand written entries, stating oil and filter change only.
No receipts to back up the service history.
Car first registered Feb 2015.

Had a look online at the MOT history it failed it's first MOT on two things

Lights - I'm OK with this
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3) -

The car looks fine and is priced OK. The service history is the main thing that's putting me off.
Three owners so far reg WA64HVZ
Maybe someone here knows the car? 

smokin

Re: Potential owner in Leeds

Post by smokin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:10 am

Hi Andy

[quote="Andydg"]
[/quote]
Maybe / maybe not. But the factory will - give them a call and they'll give you their history of the car
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 am

As smokin says, give the Ariel factory a call, and see what they know.

While the lights is a minor thing, it does make me wonder who takes a car to it's MOT with -all- the indicators and rear reg plate lights out.  The emissions test doesn't surprise me as little most mortals can do to change that.

The factory service is far more than just an oil and filter change, and includes gearbox fluid, coolant and brake fluid, as well as a very thorough check of everything else.  If it's not been done by Ariel and was only an oil and filter change, then I might be less inclined to consider it as is.

One of the options you may be able to try is to get the car shipped to Ariel for inspection.  They can check it over, put right any wrongs and you'll have a great car.

How you manage that without buying it however is a bit tricky.

Good luck, and  hope you're blatting around in one soon!

van man

Post by van man » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 am

Good price.
3 owners not good.
Not Ariel serviced but only 8k miles & 3 years old.
Was it a Honda dealer who did the service or back street garage.
How many of those 8k miles were on the track?
1 missing reflector on rear (could have had a new mud guard, but why!)
Check with Ariel who should give you a full spec  & any work they have done to the car.

Atom 310 s/c

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 pm

First of all....whilst Ariel service is a nice to have, it is far from essential as these are relatively simple cars to maintain! ( due to their great design and use of tried and tested parts!)

Second...the mileage is only 894 miles....no wonder it failed the emissions!!!....the car hasn't been used!

Buy on condition and price....don't be scared off by the doubters!!!

I bought my car 5 years ago....the advert was poorly written by a dealer who didn't know what he was selling, so it was ridiculed by the "internet biased forums...this one included, who had never seen the car!"..but the car was a gem, lucky me!!

van man

Post by van man » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 am

MOT 26th October 894 miles
spoke to the owner it has done 8,000 miles (as per the advert states)

Atom 310 s/c    Civic Sport    Honda Blackbird

MrLizard

Post by MrLizard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 am

[quote="van man"]
MOT 26th October 894 miles
spoke to the owner it has done 8,000 miles (as per the advert states)

Is this the orange one ? the reg on my first was WA64HVY and rolled out at the same time I believe :)

Having just brought my second one and similar position to you I would strongly suggest that you insist the factory have a look over, I spotted some obvious things on mine that wernt right but they spotted everything that wasnt 100% :)

Atom 310 s/c    Civic Sport    Honda Blackbird
[/quote]

Andydg

Post by Andydg » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Van Man you spoke to the owner, is this the garage selling the car or you know the last owner?

I've phoned the factory, need to speak to Tom or Henry who aren't in until Monday.

van man

Post by van man » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi, Spoke to the garage.
If the mileage was only 894 it would not bother me about the service record but 8k miles it would as it could have done a lot of those miles on the track.
Why not phone the garage & ask for the names on the V5 (owner & previous owner)

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:23 pm

these cars are easy to maintain, i do all my own services so my car wont ever have a service history. having said that my car wants for nothing and i spend far mor time looking after it than i do driving it. as they say, buy on condition and dont be frightened by some of the doom and gloom you read. they are a far safer bet than buying a Porsche or Ferrari.

van man

Post by van man » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Rocket man i bet you have all the receipts to back up the work done on your car.
Anything that i buy for my car i kept the receipts to go with the car when i sell.
Last edited by van man on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
these cars are easy to maintain, i do all my own services so my car wont ever have a service history. having said that my car wants for nothing and i spend far mor time looking after it than i do driving it. as they say, buy on condition and dont be frightened by some of the doom and gloom you read. they are a far safer bet than buying a Porsche or Ferrari.
[/quote]

Good man, I agree! As I live too far from the factory, it's really not an option for anything "normal" and regular. In addition, my car has done plenty of track days and 1/4 mile runs with ZERO impact as the cars are designed for it. So far I can not believe how well consumables like tyres and brakes last. Fair enough a track off may cause some issues, but just doing track days as long as you keep an eye on fluids etc is not that stressful to the car!!

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:33 pm

my car is a road only car, too many loons driving fast on the track for me, bad enough on the road. i see no deterioration on the car what so ever with road use, having said that it is a 2015 car with about 4k on the clock. Sorn now for winter and should be back on for beginning of april or perhaps march if the weather is good. dont do cold and wet, just takes the edge off the enjoyment and thats the last thing i want.
My first Atom was owner maintained and what super condition that was. Stuart had kept a record, (unlike me) and it was a credit to him.
buy on condition

DB Atom

Post by DB Atom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:27 pm

[quote="Andydg"]
Looking to buy my first Atom
Viewed one at an independant car dealer at the weekend.
It's advertised as full service history.
The service book has three hand written entries, stating oil and filter change only.
No receipts to back up the service history.
Car first registered Feb 2015.

Had a look online at the MOT history it failed it's first MOT on two things

Lights - I'm OK with this
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3) -

The car looks fine and is priced OK. The service history is the main thing that's putting me off.
Three owners so far reg WA64HVZ
[/quote]

Hi, I did speak to the factory about this car back in September, best to give Henry a ring

Andydg

Post by Andydg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Update.
It's been a while since I last posted.
I did phone the factory and decided the car wasn't the one.
Viewed a few more and finally bought one and pick it up next week from Jon Seal Sports Cars.