Hi new Atom 3 owner but a bit confused about the full membership statement

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Alex Brandon-Smith

Re: Hi new Atom 3 owner but a bit confused about the full membership statement

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 pm

[quote="hamtt"]
Hi Alex,

I didn't mean any endorsements as such but just a mention in teh section where other suppliers and discounts are also mentioned. Looking forward to seeing the new site.
[/quote]

Yep no worries mate. Always happy to give choice to the club...
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:26 am

Although the site says 'discounted parts prices' that doesn't mean that it is on ALL parts. Any automotive business would be crazy to offer that. I guess what it meant was that from time to time we will be offered parts at special prices from the factory. As Alex says, hopefully things like that will be cleared up by Easter when the site launches...

Also, searching for alternate parts prices is a choice. If you have the time and energy, why not? But frankly, for some people, life is too short.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:32 am

[quote="Toilet Duck"]
Some things are massively more expensive from the factory compared to other suppliers,
[/quote]

True. but some things are quite a bit cheaper for some reason... Tyres for example.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Personally I would rather buy parts endorsed by the Factory and not search for the absolute best price and not be 100 pct sure it was ok. But each to their own - I am not technically knowledgeable so it may be different for those that are.

Also can I just say - its not a Kit Car !!! Any more than any other hand built British sports car anyway !
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:05 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="Toilet Duck"]
Some things are massively more expensive from the factory compared to other suppliers,
[/quote]

True. but some things are quite a bit cheaper for some reason... Tyres for example.
[/quote]

You can usually find cheaper

Todays price:
Kumho 225/45/16  £174 vs  £153 Camskill
Kumho 245/45/16 £182.40 vs £177.80 Demon Tweeks

Although availability is obviously a factor and I think the factory do price match at times.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:46 pm

[quote="hamtt"]

Although availability is obviously a factor and I think the factory do price match at times.
[/quote]

True, but if you have an Atom for a toy, are you really going use valuable time looking for the cheapest prices on components? Maybe the demographic has changed...

I'd rather not be John Glenn: ‘“As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every one of the two million parts of this rocket were built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.’

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:25 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

if you have an Atom for a toy, are you really going use valuable time looking for the cheapest prices on components? Maybe the demographic has changed...
[/quote]

I'm not looking for the "cheapest" price out there and I'm not going to argue the toss over a few quid. However, with the case of rod ends, I don't think it makes sense to pay £50+ for one when I can get five for the same money elsewhere from a motorsports supplier. However, if some people are happier paying five times as much then that's absolutely fine, no one is forcing owners either way  :)

Not sure what you mean by the "demographic" changing, but I'm an average guy without the luxury of unlimited money.

P.S. can you lend me a fiver Bruce?  ;D
Atom 3 300

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:28 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="hamtt"]

[/quote]

True, but if you have an Atom for a toy, are you really going use valuable time looking for the cheapest prices on components? Maybe the demographic has changed...

I'd rather not be John Glenn: ‘“As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every one of the two million parts of this rocket were built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.’
[/quote]

I know what you mean but we're talking about branded goods here which will be the same from wherever, and if anything I'm pretty sure Camskill/Demon Tweeks will ahve a faster turnover of stock so "fresher" stock.

£20/tyre difference and if youre buying 4 tyres and can get that much of a saving, coupled with the difference in shipping costs will save you £75-£100. I'm sure that savings worth anyones 2 minutes worth of time it takes to google "V70a 225 45 16".

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:31 pm

[quote="Toilet Duck"]
[quote="hamtt"]
The whole rod-end issue has been looked at many times and as far as I'm concerned its a big no-no to use anything except the Aurora rod ends. The only matching/superior rod-ends I could find were NHBB, and they cost more. Its easy enough to find and supply rod-ends for £10 each but I refuse to do so.

In the earlier days of the Atom different rod-ends were tried with major failures:
https://www.arielatomchat.com/forums/content/brammo-ariel-atom-2-rod-end-replacement-129/

The problem is not to do with the quality of the joint itself, but how the load is applied on the bearing as it is positioned in the Atom. Most unbranded or generic bearing manufacturers do not either publish and conclusively test to the specifications they claim for the loads the housing of the bearing will stand up to.

When you pay for a premium rod-end such as the Aurora or the NHBB then you're basically paying for all the testing and QC that goes in to the product. The Aurora rod-ends all come individually packed with date and serial codes so theres no chance of contamination and if an item does fail the batches can be identified for investigation.

For a few hundred quick, especially if you track the Atom, its probably one of the worst shortcuts you can take in Atom ownership. I'm all for saving costs but some things just aren't worth taking the risk.
[/quote]

The rod ends I linked to are sold by a motorsports supplier and they are designed for this application. I track my Atom and have not had any issue using the XM rod ends, and I know other owners that use them. I certainly wouldn't use bargain basement eBay special rod ends, but at the end of the day as long as they are decent quality and made of suitable materials then there shouldn't be an issue. It's good that owners get a choice, and if some feel happier paying £50+ for one rod end then that's fine.  :tu:
[/quote]

Fair enough and I do try parts on my own car from time to time to test them but it's a different attitude I ahve to adopt when I'm reselling teh products. I don't mind a mishap in my own car because I decided to try something I wasn't quite sure of but I wouldn't want to be selling something to go on a customers that I didn't have complete faith in myself.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:08 pm

[quote="Toilet Duck"]

P.S. can you lend me a fiver Bruce?  ;D
[/quote]

Of course, and a rate that beats Wonga by at least 5%!