Potential owner - hello from Kai in Hampshire

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Kai

Potential owner - hello from Kai in Hampshire

Post by Kai » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Hello everyone,
My name's Kai and I live in Fourmarks, nr Alton Hampshire.
I've always loved cars - I've owned plenty - and have been tracking and racing (Hot Hatch, Tigers, Caterhams, Radicals etc) for a while too.

I'm toying with the idea of an Atom - I've driven plenty on track days and feel it's the last item on my list: I've recently become a Porsche owner (an "improved Cayman S" ;) and need something raw and proper fast before I get too old to enjoy it lol !!

So I'm looking at those available here, on Pistonheads and used at Ariel. There's not too many around and I feel like I need the SC version, rather than NA but could be convinced if there are strong reasons to stay NA.

My biggest concern is that this will be absolutely at the top limit of spending for me. I need something 100% reliable, as fast as I will ever need and not a place to start modifying. I've been doing that to car all my life and you never get decent money back.

The one at Ariel now is a nice 300/310 for around £37k but the thing that worries me is that it has over 20,000 miles. I know it's not a lot in the whole scheme of things, but they will be 20,000 HARD miles in an Atom and I just don't know how well they stand up to lots of miles. Can those of you out there with higher mileage tell me if there is anything to look out for?

Looking forward to hearing back from you all and to meeting and talking with some of you locally before I take the plunge !! By for now - Kai

Rocket Man

Re: Potential owner - hello from Kai in Hampshire

Post by Rocket Man » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:14 pm

any driver of any production road car will be hard pushed to get anywhere near even a NA atom and even if the lucky driver of an M4 manages to pass you as soon as the braking comes into efect you will shoot right past

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Kai,

Welcome to the forum!

First of all, other than cosmetics, there isn't much you can modify without going well off spec and changing the car beyond recognition! There are a few out there, but they are few and far between! Most are modified with factory options so no concern.

If you want performance.....go supercharged. The real world difference isn't actually that much, but it's worth having  ;D

Almost all owners look after their cars and there isn't much out of the ordinary to look out for. Buy, as usual, on condition.

Mine has done 16,000 miles....8,000 of which were very easy road miles and the other 8,000 were a combination of easy miles and full on track / time attack / drag race miles.....but serviced and pampered every year!.....bottom line is, respected, serviced and looked after, much like 90% out there.

A quick inspection will tell you most of what you need to know. Failing that, asking here....we know most well used cars!

Good luck

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks guys

I guess the question I'm asking is will a 24,000 mile SC version have anything that I should worry about and will it have anything that needs doing due to the mileage?

24,000 supercharged miles could be like 48,000 normal miles, you know? Who else has a car with those sorts of miles and are there any stories - links maybe - to experiences others have had?

I want to buy a car and not worry about doing track days or driving down to Le Mans etc.

Thanks again

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:23 am

I wouldn't buy a 24k Atom, were it me. Not unless it was a right billy-bargain which, to me at least, it doesn't sound like one.

Wait a few weeks if you can. Plenty spring up once the temps/ sun starts dipping.

As for NA vs SC, this has been done to death. Search the forum, all the answers are there. My thoughts on this are well known - & pretty much rebuffed  :pop:

Cheers,
Hedge

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 am

Don't be put off by higher mileage, so long as the correct maintenance has been carried out.
Sold my first N/A Atom with 22,000 miles on it and it drove as good as when it was new.
Likewise the second SC Atom with 15,000.
I'm on my third now with 13,500 miles and still no worries.

Given the lightweight nature of the car, are 24,000 SC miles more equivalent to 12,000 in a regular car?

Good luck with the hunt.

Rob.
From Atom 2 245 to Atom 4 350, via Atom 3 300 and Atom 3.5 310

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 am

Kai

I bought my 2011 3.5 310 s/c as the 3rd owner when it was just over 4 years old and had done 11823 miles - now 2 years on it has done 15899 miles of 99.5% road use

- to be honest I'm not sure if either of the 2 previous owners ever did many, (if any) track days with it or not - but I have personally used it for3 hill climb events (varying success!! ;D  ).

So far it has been 100% reliable with only one problem caused by the Sterling Toad immobiliser electronics which suddenly and comprehensively failed and which I had to replace (plug&Play) - this was not really a problem that I could blame the car for!!

In common with most owbers I have serviced and pampered it to death as  otherwise it could kill me.

Most Atoms are well know to the factory who, if you give them a call, you will find to be very helpful

- most Atoms seldom do more than 3000 miles annually so it would probably be inevitable that a 2008/9 car might have circa +/- 24000 miles on the clock

- however, provided it has been regularly and competently serviced (documented) and stored in the dry I would suggest that the mileage is somewhat irrelevant

- however, that said, I personally would look much more closely at any Atom that has had a lot of track day use (check that it has a baffled sump in particular and also what oil has been used and how often it has been changed)

If in doubt pay to let the factory give it the once over before you buy it!
Last edited by autobackup on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 am

As with all cars, the mileage isn't so important when it's still low (meaning below 40k). It's all about how well it's been cleaned, serviced and used. My 2008 Atom 3 did over 20k miles by the time I sold it in 2014. It looked and drove like almost new. Most of those miles were overseas touring.

If you inspect any Atom closely and consult the service history, which is ESSENTIAL, you'll know what you're getting into. Buy one that's been well cared for and you'll be fine. There are cars with 8000 miles in worse shape than some with 24000.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:18 pm

my first atom was owned by stupot. he did all his own maintenance and what a craking car that was. think it had about 17000 on it when i bought it. for every hour i drive (road miles only) my current atom i spend at least an hour working and pampering it. i dont document it all as i should but just one look at the car tells the story. a well maintained car is obvious as is a badly maintained one. some insist on documenting every time they check, lubricate etc everything. if i did that it would be 1hour driving, 1 hour pampering and 1hour documenting.
i will be doing all my own maintenance with the exception of that plug in stuf as i alway have done. the atom is quite a basic bit of kit. (as a note i am a time served mechanical engineer, not mechanic and my specialty was pre war Rolls-Royce motor cars, serving, repairing and rebuilding)
as for a high milage SC Atom, i would tend to go for a low milage  NA Atom and then upgrade if you feel it needs it. probably cost much the same in the long run and you will have a lower milage car

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:32 am

Quick update from me.
I picked my Atom up from the factory on Friday. Tom was great, showing me round and pointing stuff out.
Drive back was hindered by awful traffic on the A303, but nothing could get the smile off my face !
The car is perfect and a testament to the last keepers who have obviously cared for it well. I fully intend to continue with that. Got a hillclimb and a track day booked already. Looking forward to driving it - sunny weather only for now.
Hopefully the pics will attach.
See you all out there soon
Attachments
IMG_1677.JPG

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:33 am

Another pic
Attachments
IMG_1678.JPG

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am

Last one
Attachments
IMG_1679.JPG

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 am

looks great kai

welcome to the fold

quite sweet how you feel the need to be touching her in the last shot  ;D
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi Kai.  Congratulations on the new Atom.  I'm not far from you, and quite often go for a drive around your area.  Perhaps we can meet up some day. I'm just north of Basingstoke.  I'm also a new owner, but having just been on the club tour of Spain and Portugal feel I know the car so much better now.  :)

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm

That's Julian Richards' old car. Very well cared for. And a good looking paint job.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.