Potential owner in Bucks

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Rex911

Potential owner in Bucks

Post by Rex911 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello, all. Just joined as I am now on the hunt for an Atom. It has been on the list of cars on my radar for a few years to use as a track car. I currently have an e36 M3 which I have enjoyed for 10 years now on the track and had a couple of years in part ownership of a Lotus Exige S1 with a Honda superchargerd conversion. I still get the occasional drive on the track in the Exige and is now putting out about 360bhp and is well set up.

What brought my decision to get an atom was a go in one on the Jonathan Palmer experience. I enjoyed the Atom more than any of the other cars. It was similar to the Lotus but with a bit less grip and not so snappy. It grips well but is overall has very forgiving handling. The perfect track car.

I will have loads of questions but my first one is about the roll over protection. A standard car seems to have none. I saw on the Atom website that there at 2 types of rollover protection. A track day one and a full FIA one. Can these both be retrofitted and if so at what sort of cost.

Looking forward to the club membership and hopefully finding one soon.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Potential owner in Bucks

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Hello Rex and a warm welcome to the forum !

There's really no such thing as a standard car, it starts I suppose with the base spec on which you can then add on a large number of options depending on your budget and the use you intend to use the car for ..

There's an Excel macro-enabled configurator spreadsheet that lists them all along with the costs - note that these are at build costs and some options will have an additional cost if fitted post-build.

I guess you've seen the Ariel website which explains most of these but omits the costs?

I've only got a copy of the configurator from 2013, I've shown the 2 roll bar options from that below.
Middle column is the dreaded VAT.

The bolt-in option does just that - the holes are already pre-drilled.
The welded option will not be so easy to retro fit as the heat will affect the powder coat chassis etc.
You could always contact the factory about this ..

Other than the Atom Cup race-spec cars (now disbanded) I don't think many cars have this option (nor the bolt-in one for that matter!)

Should you have any other queries, someone on here will know the answer  :)

Bolted in Full Roll-Over Bar - Road/Track Day Use       £600.00 £120.00 £720.00
Welded in Full Roll Cage MSA Approved - Race Use       £987.00 £197.40 £1,184.40

John
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Rex911

Post by Rex911 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Thank you John. I am coming to realise that there is no such thing as a standard car. Will be looking for one with the big brakes as the main criteria. It seems that most else can be added. Ohlins would be nice as well. With limited numbers for sale I think I will have to be not too picky.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Welcome Rex, good to have you on board!

To follow on from John, most stuff can be retro fitted except the welded roll bar or the Cup spec one but have just added a bolt on one myself and personally really like them.

Give most stuff can be added after, go for a decent base spec car if second hand and leave some cash for mods at the factory at next service. Once Rookie gets hold of you, it'll be no holding back with the add-ons!  :o ;D

Any questions just ask!

Alex
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Rex911

Post by Rex911 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Have you an image of this bolt on roll bar. Also, what is the difference between the FIA and cup spec one?
Last edited by Rex911 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Welcome aboard Rex! Can't help with your question but just wanted to say  Image I am in Bucks too and there are a few more local. Hope to see you around mate.
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

Rex911

Post by Rex911 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi 911tom. I'm down in Marlow so not a million miles from you. Atom will mostly be used for track days. There is a group of 6 of us that go on a fairly regular basis. Looking forward to meeting some atom owners. There was an atom at Abingdon track day last Friday.

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:17 pm

My track experience is very limited which I am actively trying to fix! I am on the reserve list for Abingdon next month if anyone drops out. Let me know if you are going too  ;D

I presume you must be in to Porsche's too, give your screen name?
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

Rex911

Post by Rex911 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Not going on that one. Abingdon is OK but real tracks are more fun. I will give you a shout for the next day we do. Always a good bit of banter re driving skills and TVR' s breaking.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:34 pm

[quote="Rex911"]
Have you an image of this bolt on roll bar. Also, what is the difference between the FIA and cup spec one?

[/quote]

The FIA is the cup spec one Rex...sorry a little confusion there. I don't really have any close ups but will try to load up a picture of the car soon. If you google Ariel Atom roll bar it brings up a number of images. The roll bars are all pretty similar, except the FIA one comes forwards as on the Cup car. The weld and bolt in ones are near identical.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Rex911

Post by Rex911 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Many thanks

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:48 am

If you're buying a fairly contemporary car you should be fine, but when buying a car and wishing to fit a bolt-on roll bar just check that your car has the right spec to fit the bar easily. Earlier models weren't quite so well adapted. There should be holes in the triangles behind the seats and a clear line of sight where the lower bit of the bar fits. It's hard to explain without actually looking at the two different setups.

This is the best pic I can find...

Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Rex911

Post by Rex911 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 am

Thank you. Will have at least some idea what to look out for