Hello from Hampshire

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Benjam

Hello from Hampshire

Post by Benjam » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:38 am

Hi. Quick hello from Hampshire and a potential Atom buyer. Had a number of Honda converted Elises including most recently a supercharged and chargecooled version with 380bhp and ran a caterham for several years. Thinking an atom would combine the best of both but trying to decide if a) supercharged or na is the way to go and b) if it's really viable for UK roads, can be driven to track days and suitable for the occasional European track day jaunt? Will be browsing the forums with interest. :)

Cheers
Ben

phil4

Re: Hello from Hampshire

Post by phil4 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:59 am

Welcome, and hope you get in one soon.

My first tip if you're even halfway serious is to get and drive one, either a test drive at the factory, or an experience day or something.

Supercharged is the way I'd go, but there's a lot to be said for getting a NA car and learning more about it before boosting the power.  It really depends I guess on what you've driven before, and whether you want the journey or not.

It's most definitely viable for the roads, and can be driven slowly through towns without trouble.  Its far less of a handful at slow speeds than my bike, for example.  Track days and european jaunts will be down to how soft you are, there's no room for an entire wardrobe of clothes.  But provided you dress with appropriate clothing weather shouldn't case too much of an issue.

Good luck!

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:02 am

Welcome Banjam. I'm on the Dorset/Hampshire border...where are you based? You are welcome to come out for a ride at some point if you're local??

The SC is definitely worth every penny and changes the car dramatically but it's worth noting to get a decent base spec car before sticking the charger on. TBH on the roads, the SC is not used to full potential but it's great to drive and use the power as soon as the opportunity arises.

It can definitely be driven to and from trackdays and I have done so myself a few times now. I do prefer to trailer but as a do-it-all car, it ticks most boxes.

The factory isn't far away so go speak to Tom/Henry and get a proper drive. Then get your chequebook out.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:25 am

Ben,

The s/c is useable in all scenarios (road and track) bar the rain. IMO it completes the Atom experience. However ALL Atoms are fast. But if you want the full experience then s/c is definitely worth it! It makes the very fast car utterly, ridiculously fast! >:D

It all comes down to cost. Later cars are gradually improved 2->3->3.5 but all largely similar. IMO the spec and history are of vital importance. The brakes, suspension, and parts fitted make a big difference, but directly impact the cost.

Feel free to post up any specific queries you have and we can discuss in detail.

FTR I always drive to track days with no issues. The only problem being no option to swap to wet weather tyres if it rains. I have also done a European trip in the car ~2000 miles. The car was perfectly comfortable ride wise, just a bit hot (height of summer). I simply carried luggage in another car for the trip.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.