New Owner Surrey

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Sir Nick

Re: New Owner Surrey

Post by Sir Nick » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 pm

They should fit these as standard.  Sooo much easier at build.
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:34 pm

even with a baffold sump you still want the oil levels to be at the max mark, ive had 3 cars with the honda k20 and every independent garage they have been to have always overfilled with oil before taking it on track.

stupot

Post by stupot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:04 pm

£1.5k to retro fit a baffled sump! Glad I fitted a Spoon one and a timing chain baffle myself in about a half a day. You don't need to take the engine out but you do have to lift it up a bit.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Anyone seen this company, seems cheap and well regarded by the Vtec community

http://tractuff.com/products/tractuff-bolt-in-k-series-oil-pan-baffle

Ej74

Post by Ej74 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Stu is that an offer to help !  ;)

Great meeting up with the Surrey guys yesterday

1. What engine does it ?
2. Is it kit car ?
3. What's the fuel economy ?

Does it ever end...

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Watching with interest! Got to be a more cost effective way...
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

stupot

Post by stupot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Best advice is to take your time.

Start by moving all the handbrake cables from underneath the sump and any wiring connectors that may be stressed. I then undid the sump bolts and removed most of them leaving a few hand tight; obviously you need to drain the oil first. You don't need to remove any driveshafts or coolant hoses but keep an eye on them.

You need to lift the RH side of the engine up as high as possible whilst at the same time moving it as far left as possible; the gearbox basically needs to sit up against the frame to the left and sit on the frame under it; protect the frame all round.

I used an engine crane plus a jack under the gearbox having obviously undone all the engine/gearbox mounts first.

The reason the RHS has to be higher is because the sump overlaps the lower frame and also has to clear the timing chain before it can be removed. I found that re-fitting my baffled sump was more difficult because of those baffles so engine had to be raised slightly higher; removing the standard sum was easier.

Once you have it so the sump it will slot in place, re-clean the mating surfaces and then apply the Honda gasket sealant; I found it easier to do to a test fit first rather than struggle and get sealant everywhere.

Hope this helps. I really should have taken some pictures!

911tom

Post by 911tom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks for the description there Stu! I've seen a couple of options available. This looks quite trick and presumably would fit;

http://areamotorsport.co.uk/area-shop/clockwise-motion-sump-baffle/

Not to sure I like the look of all those bolts though, just the thought of them working loose somehow....

You mention yours is made from 'spoon'. Any good?
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

Ej74

Post by Ej74 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:52 pm

After hearing Sven's sports exhaust I decided I needed one in my life

I have reached out to Jim at 2ublar (Google his website) who made me a custom exhaust for lotus 2-1. It was a work of art. The exhausts are repackable and baffle can be altered as well

I will update once I have poession and it will cost significantly less than the factory option

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:39 pm

i could be interested in a nice stright through zorst if someone is making them

stupot

Post by stupot » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:28 pm

If you have an Atom 3 or 3.5 you need a sump for the K20Z4 engine, unless you go for the balancer shaft delete kit but that will mean the engine has to come out.

The Clockwise motion one has good reviews but does not fit the standard K20Z4. Look for a sump that is designed for the FN3 Civic. I got mine from www.uk.spoonsports.eu who have a sale on at the moment. Toda also do one but the baffle design is more open but does have an extra service hole for use with an oil temp sensor. I went with the Spoon version and had a oil sensor bung welded in.

I've not had any issues with oil starvation but do run 5mm over max on the dipstick as well.

IanG

Post by IanG » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Be interesting to see how much he can do an exaust for
Keep us informed
Thanks
Ferrari 328 Audi A5