New owner in Buckinghamshire

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
911tom

New owner in Buckinghamshire

Post by 911tom » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 am

As of Saturday I became the proud owner of a 2009 Atom 3 SC. As I am sure is the same with many others my appreciation for these cars started about 10 years ago with Clarksons review on top gear. I never thought I'd actually own one. I am an absolute petrol head. Absolutely love cars the quicker the better lol. I have a tuned Porsche 996 turbo which I have owned for the last 3 years. Even my work van is a converted VXR astra van with 350bhp, racing brakes etc. The Porsche is a awesome car and very fast but I really wanted something raw for the odd blast and track days. I started looking for something about 12 months ago. I had considered buying a 3.2 boxster S, an elise or a VX220. But in my mind non of these would be raw enough and potentially different enough when compared to the Porsche. I would however have been a cheaper option compared to the Atom. When I started looking at residuals the Atom looks great. They seem to really hold their money. So with man math applied I was convinced and actually convincing the missus as well.

The drive back was an experience. As I arrived to collect it the rain started! After waiting an hour or so for the rain to settle down I set off. I was so nervous driving such a light car on very wet roads but actually even in those conditions the thing is planted. Got it home safely and spent the rest of the weekend taking family and friends out in it. To say I am excited as an understatement. It's not often as adults we get the same feeling we used to get as a child at Christmas.

So hello I am Tom and this is my new car;

PS my Porsche themed garage may need a bit of and Ariel balance now lol. Had better get a sign from somewhere!
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: New owner in Buckinghamshire

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:45 am

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum and Atom ownership ..

It'll certainly be a great alternative to a drive in the other cars in your garage - trouble is making that decision  :vroom:

Loving the garage - Ariel sell an enameled sign that will help even the Porsche/Atom balance, though it's not quite as big  :(

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/store/accessories/ariel-sign/
Attachments
ArielSign2.jpg
Last edited by John Scherrer on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

reg

Post by reg » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:38 am

Hi Tom, welcome to the club/ownership!

You're not far from me, hope to catch up with you sometime.
'he was reet fast'

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:51 am

Hi Tom, welcome to the club.  Nice tidy garage that!

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:56 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am always up for a car meet especially the early morning drives followed by a breakfast if you guys ever do anything like that.
John, that sign looks perfect for the job, will fit nicely on the wall I have spare and the colour is spot on! Although I may wait a while before ordering, let the ol bank balance recover a bit!
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
350BHP Astra van

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Absolutely love this little car! In my first week of ownership I have successfully done more miles than the previous owner did in 2 years! Driving up to the peak district tomorrow for a little rock climbing! I'm sure I'll take a few pics.

For now though heres a few from last week when I met Alex in Christchurch.

And one when I got home with the windscreen and panels fitted, purchased from Alex on here. The blue IMO looks superb!

Ariel Atom 4 350hp
350BHP Astra van

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:05 pm

that orange one looks the nuts

but i think your computer might have a virus on it ,  bottom pic has been infected with a  screen !!  ;D
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:22 pm

I'm South Oxfordshire way, so again not a million miles away, hope to see you out soon (though now have to remember it's blue!).

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:41 pm

I am probably not that far from you as on Beds/Bucks border in Turvey. I have a blue atom as well but painted Porsche sapphire blue!

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Infected by a screen!! I am obviously to soft lol!

I am in Aylesbury so must be somewhere between the two of you. Any local meets etc coming up?
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
350BHP Astra van

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:08 pm

I am in high Wycombe , more than happy to meet up for a chin wag or blat

Maybe gatecrash  the penn 7meet  with reg ?
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

IanG

Post by IanG » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi Tom
Car looks good
I am in Oxfordshire so will keep my eyes open if your around.
Ian.
Ferrari 328 Audi A5

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:18 pm

[quote="911tom"]
Infected by a screen!! I am obviously to soft lol!

I am in Aylesbury so must be somewhere between the two of you. Any local meets etc coming up?
[/quote]

Obviously Tom, I didn't mention that the screen comes with a fair amount of flack thrown in! I've had my fair share of that for two years! Ha ha ha.

Enjoying being back to the gunsights but have a great time. If you need a run to the coast then welcome down whenever you like.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

911tom

Post by 911tom » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:34 am

No I think you kept that bit quiet Alex in order to secure the sale ;)

I buy my cars to use which for me 95% of the atom use will be on the roads. The screen has made this more comfortable, previously I was reaching for the helmet on every drive which in the current weather would not be too pleasant.

So quick update. 1 and 1/2 weeks in to ownership and I have covered just shy of 1000 miles. More than the car has done in the last 3 years! Took it up to the Peak District on Tuesday. It was really hot but quite pleasant in the Atom. I did not take many photos unfortunately as the day was packed with driving, breakfast, rock climbing, lunch and more driving. A really good day all round!

Ariel Atom 4 350hp
350BHP Astra van

911tom

Post by 911tom » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:39 am

Looks like there are quite a few of locally then! We could have a nice little group forming. Assuming there is not one already?
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
350BHP Astra van