New AA3 Owner from Germany near Stuttgart

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Curves Junkie

New AA3 Owner from Germany near Stuttgart

Post by Curves Junkie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello everybody,

now it's time to say hello here.

My name is Alex[ander] and I'm living in good old Germany near Stuttgart.

I drove in the past a sport-sidecar powered by a tuned Suzuki B-King with the Hayabusa engine.

After 7 years lot of fun with this great sidecar I decided to built a new one but much more harder and faster. The problem was that my builder did not want to built what I want to have.
The short story is - sh1t happens I buried my sidecar project and sold the sidecar at summer last year.

For the new AA 3.5 is no way to get a German registration. So I had to find an used LHD Ariel Atom 3 best with a German registration.
After months of search I found an orange One near Papenburg with less miles and built in 2010 in good condition. But my stomach fells not good because I had to pay the deposit to an other female person - so I made a phone call with the German distributor Steffen Queck, one day before pick up, and I tell him the VIN and ask for problems with this car. He looked in his computer and tell me that this car had a heavy frontal crash years before and the frame must be not ok.
What a nightmare.
So I cancelled the buy.
Btw, one or two month later the same seller offers this same car and it looks like that he found a buyer. This seller is to take too court.

No Ariel's on market with good conditions.  :'(

I searched over an half year and in January this year my wife found one at internet.
In the evening, I came back home from working, she present me the link but the link was death now. The car wasn't available on mobile.de anymore. My luck was that my wife wrote down the phone number of the seller. Immediately I made a phone call with him to ask whether this car is available and YES it was.
Hurry up - two days later I see the car first time. It is a AA 3 300, looks like new, built in 2010, no rust, no scratch and only 406 miles on the steedo. Very best condition.
The first owner was a British gentleman who lives in Monaco and he is a car gatherer with more than 35 cars in his garage.  :drool:
Cash money on the table and the car was mine.  :vroom:  :vroom:

The last owner made in November 2015 a car assay, we call it in Germany "Einzelabnahme gem. § 21 StVZO" and so I had no problems to get a German registration.

At home my first work was all plastic covers to remove and make a exact look unter the hood. All fine.  :tu:  :tu:

So, now I want to change the engine oil, oil filter and the brake fluid. Maybe the gear oil too, but I had never done this - so I don't know how to do this.
Furthermore I want to buy a second transponder because I got only one - I will ask in the clubroom for help.
The brake light is without function but the sensor is ok, I have tested it - so maybe the break pressure is not correct on the left master cylinder but this car have no brake bias.
But my biggest problem is the speedo because he don't show me the correct speed. When I drive 30 miles he show me 10 miles, at full throttle he show me 70 miles. I must find here a solution urgent.

When the weather is more comfortable where you can find me?
I like curves so much, so my play ground is 'Schwäbische Alb', the black forrest and the french, and italian alps (dolomites).
Race tracks at the moment - no - but maybe in the future for learning to bring the car and me to limit and learn what to do.

So that's my story and I hope I get here good conversations and get to know the one or other personally.
Do you have questions - don't hesitate and ask.

Alex
Ariel Atom 3 [2010] Honda 2.0 K20Z4 with JacksonRacing SC only 370PS :H: - never, ever for sale
Abarth 595 Competizione [2016] - now my daughters car
Porsche 718 Spyder [11/2019] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: New AA3 Owner from Germany near Stuttgart

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:13 pm

But my biggest problem is the speedo because he don't show me the correct speed. When I drive 30 miles he show me 10 miles, at full throttle he show me 70 miles. I must find here a solution urgent.

It looks like it was worth the wait to find your car !

It's likely someone has 're-programmed' the SPA dash and corrupted the parameters describing the tyre size.

You need to check the settings for the TRIGG POINTS and CIRCUMFERENCE parameter.

The TRIGG POINTS tells the speedo how many magnets are on the speed sensor (this is attached to the drive shaft). If this is incorrect the speedometer will be innacurate.

The CIRCUMFERENCE sets the rolling tyre circumference.

If you have any problems, someone on here can read out the figures from a known correct working speedometer assuming you have standard wheel and tyre sizes.
Attachments
SPA Kitdash.pdf
(124.77 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Alex, I have a brother who lives near Stuttgart,  and no doubt, when I get my Atom I will drive it there in the not too distant future.  I will contact you to meet up :)

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:12 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
It looks like it was worth the wait to find your car ![/quote]

Thx, yes it was. And I am really happy now.  :vroom:

[quote="John Scherrer"]
The TRIGG POINTS tells the speedo how many magnets are on the speed sensor (this is attached to the drive shaft). If this is incorrect the speedometer will be innacurate.[/quote]

Trigger Points = 2

[quote="John Scherrer"]
The CIRCUMFERENCE sets the rolling tyre circumference.[/quote]

Circumference = 1857

[quote="John Scherrer"]
If you have any problems, someone on here can read out the figures from a known correct working speedometer assuming you have standard wheel and tyre sizes.
[/quote]

Yes, standard.
And SPA shows me CYLINDERS = 4
Ariel Atom 3 [2010] Honda 2.0 K20Z4 with JacksonRacing SC only 370PS :H: - never, ever for sale

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:17 am

[quote="Digger"]
Hi Alex, I have a brother who lives near Stuttgart,  and no doubt, when I get my Atom I will drive it there in the not too distant future.  I will contact you to meet up :)
[/quote]

Yeah, sure. I look forward and if you have time we can make a little trip by AA.

smokin

Post by smokin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:31 pm

[quote="Curves Junkie"]
So, now I want to change the engine oil, oil filter and the brake fluid. Maybe the gear oil too, but I had never done this - so I don't know how to do this.
[/quote]
Hi Alex, give the factory a call and order the unofficial handbook - it will help with basic servicing queries. A quick search on here will answer most questions but, if not, post them in the Technical area and we'll do our best to assist
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:05 pm

[quote="smokin"]
Hi Alex, give the factory a call and order the unofficial handbook - it will help with basic servicing queries. A quick search on here will answer most questions but, if not, post them in the Technical area and we'll do our best to assist
[/quote]
Do you mean the handbook made by the atomclub.com?
This handbook was included with the car.

My problem is that I often do not understand what the english words mean. I English language is not so well.

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:12 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
The TRIGG POINTS tells the speedo how many magnets are on the speed sensor (this is attached to the drive shaft).
[/quote]

Here is the problem - I think.
I wrote that on SPA dash the TRIGG PIONTS is set to 2.
Now I made a search of the magnets and I only find 1 magnet mounted.

One magnet is at my mind to less for the correct indicator. 2 or more are much better.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Alex,

I just checked my dash.

TRIGG POINTS are set to '1'
CIRCUMFERENCE is set to '1855'

John
Last edited by John Scherrer on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

smokin

Post by smokin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:48 am

[quote="Curves Junkie"]

My problem is that I often do not understand what the english words mean. I English language is not so well.
[/quote]
Yes Alex, the club handbook. Happy to provide any Klärung you need  :)

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:58 pm

[quote="smokin"]
[quote="Curves Junkie"]

[/quote]
Yes Alex, the club handbook. Happy to provide any Klärung you need  :)
[/quote]

@smokin
du sprichst deutsch oder bist Deutscher?

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:19 pm

Nein, ich bin Englisch. ich klicke https://translate.google.co.uk/

mk1 Andi

Post by mk1 Andi » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Near Stuttgart? From where genau??  ;D

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:18 pm

[quote="smokin"]
Nein, ich bin Englisch. ich klicke https://translate.google.co.uk/
[/quote]
LOL Thanks for the link but most not usable. Your slang and slang words google translate don't know it.

[quote="mk1 Andi"]
[/quote]
GP
Du aus Imst?
Is the event at 2-3 Sep. now closed because to much cars?

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 pm

[quote="mk1 Andi"]
[/quote]

Ihr dürft euch auch gerne im AACG unterhalten ;-)
AA 2 300, GT3 Mk1, Mercedes A 190