Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Tom Horton

Post by Tom Horton » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:42 am

Hi guys, my name is Tom and I live in Worcester Park in Surrey. I've just been given the green light by my wife to buy an atom. I'm looking to buy a secondhand one fairly soon so she doesn't change her mind if anybody can give me some tips on what to look for do's and dont's it would be much appreciated.  :vroom:

phil4

Re: New member

Post by phil4 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:16 am

Hi Tom, welcome to the club, and hope to see you motoring around in the near future.

It might not be a bad idea to give a rough idea of any atom decisions you've already made.... such as what generation/age does your budget allow for.  Are you going supercharged?  Are you intending to drive mainly on the road, or mainly track, or a mix?

It just might help us make suggestions that are relevant. 

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:37 am

Hi, Tom

You're about ten minutes from me (Putney).

As Phil said, what's your intended use and budget? Then we can be more specific with help.

S
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:35 am

Welcome Tom, well done on your decision (and talking the wife round) and good luck on your search, I'm sure your get all the help you need on here.

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Tom

I'm also just down the road in New Malden. There's a few owners in this area.

Look forward to hearing when you get yours.

Sven
Atom 4 350/Atom 3.5 Supercharged/TVR Sagaris/TVR Tuscan S/VX220 Turbo(Stage 4)/TVR Cerbera 4.5

Tom Horton

Post by Tom Horton » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the response. I can't believe there are so many of you locally to me .I'm thinking generation three but I don't know what the difference between two and three is.  I would like it to be supercharged mainly for the road but a few track days. I have a budget of £37k ish. I do like the look of the ones with the spoilers. I hope this helps.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Supercharged & spoilers Two mighty interesting subjects.
Have a ride in an N/A car, it will make decisions a whole lot easier.......

Stew

Tom Horton

Post by Tom Horton » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi stew, sorry for my ignorance but what is a N/A car

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:49 pm

Normally aspirated  (non supercharged) your basic civic type R engine with 245hp
Unmolested & some say the best...

Happy hunting.
Stew
Last edited by AtomMadStew on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:02 pm

A good summary of the Atom 2 to Atom 3 transition. All very welcome improvements, in my view.

http://www.evo.co.uk/trackdays/trackdaycars/234096/ariel_atom_3_245.html
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:13 am

Welcome Tom, great to see another man has successfully circumnavigated the wife issue!

As Stew said, I think you need to try both to make a judgement. I have an NA car and it was superb to start there. Even on track it has enough for a good few years of getting to know it as it can be quite a learning curve. 37k buys a lot of second hand car, although if you go SC it's unlikely you'll get spoilers as well depending on age. You will get a lot of NA car for that though. Why not think of buying a second hand NA car fully loaded and keeping an amount set aside to upgrade the charger later?

Recommendations...Alcons all round, LSD, adjustable Bilsteins, normal exhaust + sports exhaust (don't both with stainless steel exhaust), Dymags (magnesium wheels) if you can get them.

Ask away for any other help mate.

Alex
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:18 am

If you're going to track it, the Baffled Sump option is essential - v.exensive to fit as an after thought ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:24 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
If you're going to track it, the Baffled Sump option is essential - v.exensive to fit as an after thought ..

[/quote]

Tracked my quite bit now John and never had any issues at all. I probably would next time but if only doing a few a year it should be fine you'd have thought? I'm sure you'd know more than I though!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:40 am

[quote="Alex BS"]
Tracked my quite bit now John and never had any issues at all. I probably would next time but if only doing a few a year it should be fine you'd have thought? I'm sure you'd know more than I though!
[/quote]

The trouble is, if you do suffer oil surge/starvation (even briefly) on a high speed bend etc, that's your big end bearings gone and the bottom end of your engine wrecked. Its not really a question of how many track days you do, if you just did one a year but pushed the car hard enough to send the oil in the sump away from the pick-up point, that's your engine gone.  :vroom:
Atom 3 300

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:42 am

[quote="Tom Horton"]I would like it to be supercharged mainly for the road but a few track days[/quote] That's quite an, er, interesting rationale!
Cheers,
Hedge