Intro - Possible Atom owner - Huddersfield

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
M1chaelw

Intro - Possible Atom owner - Huddersfield

Post by M1chaelw » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Hello

Just a quick introduction . I signed up to the forum last year with the view of getting a supercharged atom, but other things came up so I stopped researching.

I'm now back reading up on the mk 2 or 3 sc , and if its possible for 2 people to go on a European tour in one. Would also be interested if people are regularly using theirs in the wet?

My current toy is a Vauxhall VX220 Turbo   

Hopefully I can attend some northern club meets and talk to some you about spec and practicality / ways to get round our English weather

cheers

phil4

Re: Intro - Possible Atom owner - Huddersfield

Post by phil4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi,
Welcome, and hope you get there soon.

On the "wet" topic.  I've drove mine once in the rain, when I took it back to the factory for servicing (so about 2-3 hours drive).

What I learned was:
a) The car is fine in the wet as long as you don't do anything stupid considering the conditions.
b) The car was perfectly reliable in the wet.
c) You'll only stay as dry as your choice of clothing.

I think as others have said, there's no unsuitable weather for driving an atom, just unsuitable clothing.

That said, I actively avoid driving mine in the wet when I can.... for 2 reasons:
1) On limited miles, I want to enjoy as big a chunk of those I drive as I can.  Keeping things sensible in the wet isn't really that much fun.

2) I want to keep the car clean, and driving in the wet means a bigger job for me.

There will be those that will point out a wet roundabout is a nice way to have some sideways fun without wearing your tires out as much, but I'm not quite that skilled a driver, so the above works ok for me.