Newbie from Hampshire

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
moo

Newbie from Hampshire

Post by moo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 am

Hi to everyone,

Thought it time to finally stick my head above the parapet as I have been lurking from almost the arrival of the Atom as a passive observer and more recently as a paid up member.

So as the years are advancing quicker than I care to acknowledge it is now or never to hit the pay button and join the "slightly out of the ordinary" group of owners and to this end have just laid down a deposit with Tom for an Atom 245. Present delivery est is 6 months so at least in theory I wont be getting snowed up on collection.

Look forward to contributing in the coming months and the obligatory first day write up etc.
No idea at this stage on the finer details except to keep the initial cost manageable.
I run an electronic design and manufacture business so who knows what might pop up in times to come.

All the Best

Geoff
Last edited by moo on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie from Hampshire

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Welcome Geoff,

Let us know the final spec once you've change it many times and added more options  ;D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Welcome to the club Geoff.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

moo

Post by moo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome John and Smokin,

Have followed you both, together with others (they don't know who they are  ;D).

Notably Smokin for the perceived engine out as much as in the frame at times and John I noted you posted a picture up last year sometime of filling up at my regular Shell Garage just off the A303. You could have called round for a coffee as I'm about 2 mile away, now there's an invite if anyone is heading to the factory. I'll await the re emergance of said photo John  ;)

Cheers for now

Geoff
Last edited by moo on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Lovely area Geoff ;D and welcome to the fold too :tu:

I've often thought about stopping off at Popham airfield and admiring their Antonov AN-2 :pop:

Adrian

moo

Post by moo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Cheers Kezzie,

Seems we have a spread of crop circles amongst us ! Workshop is right next to Chilbolton Observatory where the infamous alien face appeared in the corn but best not get in to conspiracy theories just now  ;D

Yes I got my PPL at Popham and the chap next door to us services said Antanov types and various similar beasts as we have a small satellite strip only a short hop away by air.

So maybe 3 for coffee to date.  Am looking forward to the day when everyone converges at the bungalow and I can maybe blag a pre delivery passenger spin. 6 months seems a life time away on day one.

All the best

Geoff

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:40 pm

My favourite anecdote about said crops circles was from back in the early 90s when the local "world's leading expert on crop circles" was interviewed by BBC Points West about an array that had appeared over night.
On inspecting it he piped up that it was indeed genuine and created by "beings not from our planet"
At which point the reporter introduced the two culprits to him along with the floor boards and string they used to create it :roflp:

Anyway back on topic - Coffee sounds great. What's the cafe at the airfield like?

Adrian

moo

Post by moo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Can't really comment on airfield coffee although not many airborne pile ups lately so it must be OK.

The stuff at my place (bungalow) is excellent though.  :)

Geoff

Craig Sams

Post by Craig Sams » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Geoff,

All the very best from the Great North East on your new acquisition, you will be sure to enjoy every hard earned penny spent and to be spent! It has many positives, you'll feel like your 18 again, and its much cheaper than a face lift.

Craig

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi Geoff,

6 months will seem like an eternity I'm sure, but please do post your spec, and changes when they occur.

At least you'll have longer days and better weather just as you're collecting.

Phil

moo

Post by moo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:27 pm

Craig, Phil many thanks chaps for the warm welcome.

The problem with age is that I have always felt like 18, it's just the exterior that lets the side down .

I mentioned to Tom re your purchase Phil, think I calculated you squeezed your delivery into something less than 6 months ?

Cheers

Geoff

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:34 am

[quote="moo"]I mentioned to Tom re your purchase Phil, think I calculated you squeezed your delivery into something less than 6 months ?
[/quote]

I don't quite know how or why, but yes, about 2.5 months, ordered 13th June, and collected on 8th September.  All I can think is there must have been a pre-winter lull in the orders.  I don't even think I was pushy, and was genuinely surprised when it was ready when it was.

I don't think I can imagine how 6 months would feel, 2.5 seemed long enough for me.

Regardless, it'll be irrelevant when you get it, and in the grand scheme of things, that really isn't that far off.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm

Geoff good work on taking the plunge! You won't regret it mate. Look forward to seeing the spec and some build pics!

Am based in Christchurch myself so you shouldn't be too far away? There's a couple of us round here so give us a shout if you're around and we can grab a coffee or get out if I can make it out the drive without flippers on...

Alex
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

moo

Post by moo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Alex,

Yes it has taken me long enough, should have done it a long time back really.

I remember a few years back walking along the Sandbanks road and wondering if that was your good self in a black atom at the time ?
Spotted a red Atom in the Salisbury BP garage about 3 months back. I was passenger in my daughters little Citroen C1 so we pulled up and waited when said daughter had this hair brain idea to follow Atom all the way down to and along Southampton road until we got to Alderbury dual carriegeway when I said to her wait for it....... and a dot disappeared into the distance. She said Dad you just have to get one.  Ahhh bless her.  ;D

Look forward to giving you a shout.

Cheers

Geoff