Looking for info and questions about buying

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
Klink

Looking for info and questions about buying

Post by Klink » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Hey guys,

I am here because I talked my dad out of a Ferrari 355 Spyder, to an Atom.

(I mentioned a 20 Italian design may be more in a shop then on a road ;D)

So he is talking about getting one and need your guys input on options that are a must.

He is getting a windshield,  :doh:, I told him the point of this car is to keep the weight down as much as possible but he doesn't want bugs in his face so he is getting the windshield. I mention to get better brakes cause you can always use better brakes. But anything else from other Atom owners would say to get/stay away from?

Thanks for any info you guys share!

phil4

Re: Looking for info and questions about buying

Post by phil4 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Does he have a primary use for it?  Or even a bias, and if so how much.

Why do I ask?  There seems to be big divide between using it on track and on the road.  If you're going to use it exclusively for one or the other, then you'd have different priorities.

For example, if using it solely on the road, there are lots of "race" type options that perhaps you can do with out (eg. Roll cage).  Conversely, if you're going to use it soley on track, then you'd prehaps do without the locking fuel cap.

Sure you might say 50:50, or even "mostly road, occasional track days", but I guess knowing your intentions might help with recommendations.

Klink

Post by Klink » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:36 pm

I think he is going to use it more on the road then everything, I might make take it to a track when I visit, but he was also considering trips and stuff, (he rode bikes a lot so he SHOULD know how to pack light)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:03 pm

So with primary road use in mind, I'd suggest the following.  Bear in mind I'm not a world expert, but this is my opinion:

Limited Slip Diff
4 Pot Alcon brakes as you mentioned
Handbrake
Quick release steering wheel
Rear Towing Eye
High-Level brake light
12v feed
Locking fuel cap
Passenger foot rest

You might also consider the Supercharger, but that's pricey.

If you fancy doing some track work, perhaps add adjustable dampers, and then the rest depends on how serious/often you do track days.  Some I think might be wise if you're going often or driving hard:
Baffled Engine Oil sump
Cockpit adjustable brake bias
Battery Master Switch
Fire extinguisher
Track tyres

But then with the track options, well, you can go a lot further if your budget/desire takes you.

As I say, I'm not for one second saying I'm an expert, but I hope it helps.

Klink

Post by Klink » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks for the Info, it helps a lot. :tu:

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:45 am

If '...he rode bikes a lot...', convince him there's no need for a windscreen. Just wear a lid.

Rob.
From Atom 2 245 to Atom 4 350, via Atom 3 300 and Atom 3.5 310

Klink

Post by Klink » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:30 pm

trust me i tried, He keeps on talking about "how I'm older and want to be comfortable" I say then look somewhere else cause I bet it is gonna be worse then my Elise, but still fighting for the featherweight!

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:03 pm

I have to admit though, I have both windscreen and standard gunsights. For the road, I love using the screen as I use it without a helmet which increases the noise and feeling no end. It's great for the slightly inclement weather and beginning and end of season but then you also don't get so hot in the summer by wearing a lid and you can talk to passengers. However, if I am tracking it, I'll take the screen off. They both have advantages. I'm an ex biker and it's not really about comfort, just about the difference in sensation.
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom: