New member looking for some help

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
MrLizard

New member looking for some help

Post by MrLizard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of ordering and hoping to use the atom for road/track driving, however I have been given a budget of 35k from Mrs-Lizard, so the dilemma is fitting everything I need into this budget, obviously this will just be the 245 BHP version.

In my spare time I am a racing driver and had the atom cup been about 7 years ago I'm sure I wouldn't be having this conversation, I only didn't order one after my first test drive all those years ago because the MSA/FIA wouldn't recognise the car, since then I ended up building a race car out of a 350z but have never quite shaken the feeling of hooning that green atom (2?) about down south, so here I am, again :)

Going down to the factory in a couple of weeks to meet Tom (again), I was just wondering what things definitely 'have' to be ticked in the options list and what's the deal with the handbrake?

At the moment the list looks a little like - car,LSD,front alcons,brake bias, cat bypass, removable steering wheel, and some other little bits like 12v/cover etc - some things I would be capable of adding myself later, some things I assume the factory would be happy to add later but what would be essential?

Thanks
MrLizard

MrLizard

Re: New member looking for some help

Post by MrLizard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Also the baffled sump was on the original list, If I ply the Mrs with shoes I might be able to stretch the budget slightly..

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:26 pm

So, just the things you've listed and you should be able to get for less than 35K, but that makes some assumptions.

The handbrake as I understand it is required if you go for the Alcon rears, and is required for MOTs, so if new, that's 3 years away.

I guess it all depends on what you intend to use it for.  The options list is long, and you could increase what you spend very easily, for example:

Add the rear alcons, hanbrake, some adjustable dampers, some bits for the road (Aero screens, locking fuel cap, high level rear brake), a few track ideas: (FIA master switch, rear towing kit), and you'll be at 40K near as. 

And I'm sitting here thinking.... how did I manage to spend so much? then it dawns on me.... a super charger).

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:34 pm

The deal with the handbrake...

IF you order the car with Alcon big brakes on the front and standard rears then the caliper on the standard rears has a simple hand brake actuator built in like all normal run of the mill road going cars with rear disc brakes.

IF however you have the Alcon upgrade on the rear the Alcon calipers do not incorporate a hand brake mechanism so an additional smaller mechanical only actuated caliper needs to be added on both sides to facilitate the hand brake.

This could be added later just before your first MOT but be aware if you dont add at build you will have no hand brake - obviously.

So if you get the Alcon big brakes all round (recommended) and you want a  hand brake then its the cost of the extra calipers for the rears...

Base car
Big brakes all round
removable wheel
Harness upgrade
16 inch wheel package with Yoko AO48's all round (excellent grip)

what does that come out at?

MrLizard

Post by MrLizard » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 am

That comes out as just shy of 35k but with the LSD/sump/12v/car cover etc it goes just north of it

Just to get this right, if I went for Alcons at the front at sport brakes at the back would I get a handbrake?

Also, whats to stop someone taking the handbrake off and pushing the car off a cliff? The same nothing for any convertible? Not that I would plan to park next to a lot of cliffs...

Bungle009

Post by Bungle009 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 am

Alcons at Front and normal or Sport (Recommended) brakes at the rear = Handbrake.
You might want to consider the suspension upgrade as well as its very costly to retrofit at a later date.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:30 am

I wouldn't worry about the handbrake from a security point of view.  You can definitely do without on a daily basis, sure hill starts will be a bit more tricky, but really it's all down to the MOT which requires one, and that I think is pretty much the only reason it's listed.

As Bungle has just mentioned, you can have the handbrake by not having Alcons at the rear.

MrLizard

Post by MrLizard » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 am

[quote="Bungle009"]
Alcons at Front and normal or Sport (Recommended) brakes at the rear = Handbrake.
You might want to consider the suspension upgrade as well as its very costly to retrofit at a later date.
[/quote]

like the look of the ohlins, but i think i could potentially do that myself, is it difficult to take the tension out of the springs post having them mated to the chassis then?

MrLizard

Post by MrLizard » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:32 am

[quote="phil4"]
I wouldn't worry about the handbrake from a security point of view.  You can definitely do without on a daily basis, sure hill starts will be a bit more tricky, but really it's all down to the MOT which requires one, and that I think is pretty much the only reason it's listed.

As Bungle has just mentioned, you can have the handbrake by not having Alcons at the rear.
[/quote]

I realise if you are on a hill you can simply leave the car in gear but if your on a flat piece of ground is that not risky?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:57 am

[quote="MrLizard"]
I realise if you are on a hill you can simply leave the car in gear but if your on a flat piece of ground is that not risky?
[/quote]

I don't think so, just leave the car in gear when parked at all times.  Indeed I do this all the time in my current car(s) just because I'm pessimistic.

Just remember to take it out of gear before starting  ;D

MrLizard

Post by MrLizard » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 am

[quote="phil4"]
[quote="MrLizard"]
[/quote]

I don't think so, just leave the car in gear when parked at all times.  Indeed I do this all the time in my current car(s) just because I'm pessimistic.

Just remember to take it out of gear before starting  ;D
[/quote]

fair enough, i just have this fear in the back of my head of some scrote jumping in the car (with no steering wheel) and taking the car our of gear/handbrake off and it flying off a cliff exploding in a ball of flame...

never owned a car without a roof (or any body work)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:37 am

Having owned a softtop for many many years, I very quickly realised that if someone wanted to get in, they would.  So in your case perhaps not parking near cliffs would help.  Then it's just the realisation that if they can, they will take it, but doing what you can to make that as pointless/ less desirable as possible.
Last edited by phil4 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 am

I managed with no handbrake for many years, never a problem.  The only time I did park near some cliffs I found a couple of big rocks to add extra wheel chocs.

MrLizard

Post by MrLizard » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:03 am

thanks very much for all the info, hoping to stay away from cliffs just thinking of a way of locking the car to the point to deter people from trying...

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Or take a wheelclamp with you ;)