Hello from Germany

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
K20A2

Hello from Germany

Post by K20A2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Hello from Germany,

I have been reading in this nice forum since about 2 ½ years now and first of all I would like to thank the operators for this homepage and also the users, who until today have helped me with information, pictures and advice sent by PM or email and some sellers for their patience in answering my numerous questions.

Finally after lots of researches, ups and downs, checking the way of legal registration and finding an insurance at all and a garage nearby I am seriously looking for an Atom to buy until this years summer if possible.
Unfortunately the market for used LHD Atoms does not seem to exist at all at the moment. Although I know there should be about 70 Atoms hiding in Germany advertisements are rarely placed, which also makes it difficult to get a feeling for the "right" price.
But perhaps there might be an Atomclub forum member being spontaniously motivated for selling.

Most preferred version would be a LHD Atom 2-300 with HONDATA-ECU and a first street legal registration (wherever) before 2006.
Also Atom 3 would be very welcome, but to be honest I am afraid I may probably not be able to afford them.

If it was a 220 or 275 with MBE-ECU the Atom should have been registered in EU, but outside GB, since before 2006.

The Atom should be in good condition from a technical perspective. Regarding optics I do not mind too much as long as related deficits would not affect technics and might be more or less adjustable by myself.

The Atom would mainly be driven on public roads and perhaps 2-3 trackdays per year, as long as my insurance agree to cover bad cases.

The basic spec list I have decided about so far is:
- Left hand drive
- Road pack
- Hand brake
- Baffled sump
- Catalyst
- Quick release steering wheel

The following specifications would be very welcome, but if not there right from the beginning I hopefully would also be able to add those afterwards.

- Alcon brake front
- Team Dynamics or even Dymag wheels
- Roll Over Bar
- Intercom System
- Shift light
- Remote brake bias adjuster
- (Stainless steel bolts and fixings)
- (Locking fuel cap)

Furthermore I would be thankful to get some advice:
- Regarding the dampers. Which ones would be the best choice for above mentioned purpose?
- Could perhaps somebody confirm, that the Roll Over Bar could also be assembled afterwards to an Atom 2, which originally was delivered without it? From what I remember at least the panel might be different and would need to be changed or modified?

All other advice especially regarding German registration and the spec list would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Last edited by K20A2 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonsieurX

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by MonsieurX » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:26 am

Welcome...

Finding used Atoms in Germany is usually done on Mobile.de  in the "other" car brand section sometimes has a few atoms... Otherwise pistonheads or google...

I got mine (a 2 245) directly from the Factory. They made the LHD (ambidextrous finally) conversion.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello MonsieurX,

thank you for information. I have been following most offers/advertisements on mobile, autoscout, pistonheads, in this forum and from the factory since about 2 years.
There are two on mobile at present (Atom 1 and 3), but unfortunately both do not seem to be the best advice to buy for different reasons.

May I ask how much the RHD/LHD conversion was at the factory.
PM would also be welcome.

Thank you.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Finally  :vroom:

After a looong search, making mistakes and missing chances, a great visit at the factory, against my initial thoughts and ignoring all budget-ideas it has now become a 3-300. :)

I already drove about 300km and it is just great.
I am now looking forward to spring, but I am also planning to take the chance during winter to carefully gain some experience provided the streets are dry and free of salt.

Next things would be a decision regarding wheels and tyres, let repair a stone chip in the windscreen and I would also like to add protection foil to the roll bar and other parts of the chassis and suspension.
And of course using this great forum to find answers for my couple of douzends upcoming questions in the next time. :D

Thanks again to the people here who helped me with information and experience and to Tom from the factory, for whose support and patience I may probably ask for still a couple of times.  :tu:

Regards

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:31 pm

you sure took your time, but I'm happy to see you finally made a decision and bought this special car. Off course this thread is extremely worthless without pics...
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:52 pm

we want a selfie :)

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:09 pm

[quote="MonsieurX"]
we want a selfie :)
[/quote]

I have seen this guy in the flesh...we just want pics of the car, no selfies please  ;D

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks for the warning  O0

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for the flowers, speedmachine. I hope it was not too bad  ;)

Well... normally I try to keep my pictures and name out of the internet, but I think I could make an exception to that and to be honest I also like to...  :)
Attachments
321.jpg

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Nice atom!!!

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Looks awesome!!! Congrats! But loose the mirrors and invest 55 pounds in some atom 3 originals

lemmy01

Post by lemmy01 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Nice Car!!
The windshield maybe a nice feature when sitting in the car but from the aethetical  i dont like it.

Greets
Ralf

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:34 pm

Mirrors:
Those are not too good looking motobike mirrors :-[. The original ones got lost somehow.
Although I like the look of the original mirrors I am not going to choose them, because I would prefer bigger ones.
So I will probably buy new mirrors, but they will not become smaller, only better looking I hope. :)

The windscreen...
I know there are lots of topics here, in which the windscreen is discussed in different ways. Often the look is criticized and also there is the fact, that the Atom basically was meant to be a puristic car concentrating on what you cannot leave out and the windscreen definitely is not a necessity (IMO of course).
As I was initially looking for an Atom 2 I had even never thought about the windscreen before.
Now it is there and in combination with the big roll bar it perhaps looks more reasonable and actually I like the look.
The advantage of course is, that you do not need a helmet, which makes the Atom more suitable for a kind of "daily use". Also passenger rides, which appear to be expected if not requested now by friends and family, are easier and communication works til about 100km/h without shouting.
So give me a couple of months of experience, but I could imagine I may not want to miss it anymore. ;)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:48 pm

[quote="K20A2"]
Mirrors:
Those are not too good looking motobike mirrors :-[. The original ones got lost somehow.
Although I like the look of the original mirrors I am not going to choose them, because I would prefer bigger ones.
So I will probably buy new mirrors, but they will not become smaller, only better looking I hope. :)
[/quote]

You won't find much better looking ones than those. But if I remember correctly, they could be flat glass. You really need convex glass. I did a LOT of research into this before finding the Motrax ones that are used on the cars these days (which I think have been discontinued). Personally I prefer long stalk, round ones with convex glass... I can see everything brilliantly with them.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Bruce,

I also like the timeless round ones.
Would there be a mirror you could recommend?

Thanks an regards