Just bought Piers's Atom

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
vernonjones

Just bought Piers's Atom

Post by vernonjones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:34 am

Hi All, Just bought Piers's Blue Atom 3'.5'. I'm a serial tuner and upgrader so it wont stay standard for too long. It has a windscreen which I'm not too keen on if only for the weight position aspect. Also has handbrake which Ill probly delete due to weight.

Due at factory next week for Aero kit installation. Other than than ill enjoy its lowly 300 for a while then get it to TTS Performance for some proper power.

:)

V

speedmachine

Re: Just bought Piers's Atom

Post by speedmachine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:00 am

I don't who Piers is, but congrats on the car. Pic would be nice, what are you aiming for? In terms of HP?
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:25 am

Piers' car wasn't a 3.5?

Maybe there's another Piers ..

TTS == Rotrax  :fence:

Don't mention that at the factory !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:29 am

Photos attached. Paint will be changed to my liking soon. Most likely a wrap by PWPRO. I'm going to look to the circa 500 for power, but need to speak to a couple of people re: the drive train before I'm happy to sign off on it as a project. In my experience its always the drive-train that ends up costing the real money and time off the road.

Really looking forward to the Titanium chassis if that comes to fruition.

After his incident at Prescott it was rebuilt to a 3.5 spec inc chassis.

Yes I am aware its Rotrax and had good experiences with them, but alike I've had Eaton too and worked well for that application.
Attachments
DSC02892-(Small).jpg
Last edited by vernonjones on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:10 pm

I would strongly suggest you don't go to TTS with your Atom, I had a terrible experience with them. An engine rebuild took 12 months and even then it did not work as it should. Wished I head never heard of them.

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Interesting Mark. I have had a previous experience with them and its been good. Could you elaborate and Ill have a chat to Richard (TTS) about it so I can get both sides.

Other than TTS is there anyone else with experience?

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Don't want to go into too much detail as it ended up in court. My engine failed with a broken piston which damaged bores etc. TTS said they could fix it for around £3k. 12 months later and over £8k spent it still did not work. Excuses after excuses, ended up taking it away from TTS to Ariel and another company to fix properly.

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 pm

You are only up the road from me (Bristol). Could you PM me your phone number or email so I could find out more. I do have another option for building

piersdaniell

Post by piersdaniell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 pm

[quote="speedmachine"]
I don't who Piers is, but congrats on the car. Pic would be nice, what are you aiming for? In terms of HP?
[/quote]

I go by the name of 'Bean' for some reason  ;)

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:58 pm

[quote="bean"]
[quote="speedmachine"]
[/quote]

I go by the name of 'Bean' for some reason  ;)
[/quote]

I'm not sure I want to know the reason either!

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm

I never ever thought when driving my 300 - 'Damn what my car needs is more power' - so I do find it strange to see people want to make it up to 500 bhp. Now, my C63 is faster it seems from about 110 to 140 mph as witnessed by a higher speed achieved on the Levant Straight at Goodwood (if only by a few mph) so I suppose it would help at that stage where power really matters. Trouble for me would be the loss of drivability.

What is your plan for the car ? Not as a road car I would assume from above ?

Good luck with the project anyway.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Yes its a road car mostly with a good amount of track work. The Atom has its place as a 0-100 mph monster but it's just not enough. Sure it has good handling to a point but I think it can all be improved upon.

I already have a tuned GTR that does 0-60 in 2.6 and 0-100 in 5.6 so by those standards the Atom is slow plus the GTR is away for another 200hp and 300 Lbft.

The Atom experience however can't be recreated anywhere, and that's ultimately what I am looking forward to the most.

I will hopefully be at Castle Coombe with them both in Oct to see how close the Atom can get to my 1:14:00 in its standard trim with Aero, but as the GTR can hit 162GPS through Folly I doubt the Atom will do it as Coombe is more high speed than technical.

Looking at the weight and the Aero drag 500bhp & some Aero mods should see the car do Coombe in 1:12. That also said, the GTR in its new trim should be looking at a 1:13. Chris Harris will be taking it for an Anglesea jaunt too, maybe we could make it an Atom day of it?

However the entire thing turns out, I will have the Atom I want, in the way I want it to handle.... and let's face it, that's what owning cars is all about. An extension of your personality and hobbies.

I really look forward to meeting up with you all.

V
Last edited by vernonjones on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Couldn't agree more - each to their own. Everybody wants different things and accordingly no 2 Atoms are ever the exact same.  Your GTR sounds like a monster !

Good luck anyway.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:59 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Couldn't agree more - each to their own. Everybody wants different things and accordingly no 2 Atoms are ever the exact same.  Your GTR sounds like a monster !

Good luck anyway.

T
[/quote]

GTR is a lot of fun but the most uninvolved drive ever. The only thing you can have fun with on the roads are Bikes and at the track fully prepared race cars. Still, it's another case of always wanted one.

Im on the hunt for an Evo 5 RS in good condition if anyone knows of one going.

Thanks

V

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Evo 5 - good choice!
Love that shape evo

Stew