Dream Car

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
squarebeard

Re: Dream Car

Post by squarebeard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:09 pm

Charlie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm Welcome to the club I also won an Ariel Atom 4 on BOTB back in Nov 2018 I was told I was on the waiting list and it would be 2 years but with lockdown I presume that has been pushed back as I still haven’t heard about my build status anyway nice to hear someone else had the same luck as me.
WOW How cool is that?!

I would just shoot a quick email to the factory and they'll give you a timeframe. I'd think you'd be close?

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Ok will do thanks

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 am

Nice. I ordered Nov 18 as well and am looking at June from when i last checked with Tom.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am

Can't believe we have two Atom 4 winners on here - you lucky buggers! I am sure it will be worth the wait.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 am

Fastlane wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am Can't believe we have two Atom 4 winners on here
And none of them called Brandon - that's more odd ;)

squarebeard

Post by squarebeard » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:25 pm

K20A2 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 am If this works you will have some money saved to tick all the great boxes in the spec sheet. ;)

There were two Atom 4 technically approved with TÜV acceptance test recently which are now road legal in Germany.

Would you perhaps be allowed to at least store the Atom at your home with external registration?
Wow, thanks for that info. Didn't know about the TÜV. I would love to hear exactly how those cars were specced. Anyone know?

Yes, I would be allowed to store it at home, but I would need to trailer it to the border to drive anywhere...

I've been looking into this as one of my best options, though.

First world problems.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 am

squarebeard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:25 pm
K20A2 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 am If this works you will have some money saved to tick all the great boxes in the spec sheet. ;)

There were two Atom 4 technically approved with TÜV acceptance test recently which are now road legal in Germany.

Would you perhaps be allowed to at least store the Atom at your home with external registration?
Wow, thanks for that info. Didn't know about the TÜV. I would love to hear exactly how those cars were specced. Anyone know?

Yes, I would be allowed to store it at home, but I would need to trailer it to the border to drive anywhere...

I've been looking into this as one of my best options, though.

First world problems.
I'd ring the factory in the UK - they are very helpful.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 am

I am afraid the factory may not be able to help with German TÜV.
At present there is no option to have the approval done by the local Ariel dealer, most probably not even at any TÜV site which are not experienced in Atoms.

Those 2 Atoms had different specs.
One was very basic with almost no added options, the other one was quite high specced, even with aero wings.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 pm

Charlie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm Welcome to the club I also won an Ariel Atom 4 on BOTB back in Nov 2018 I was told I was on the waiting list and it would be 2 years but with lockdown I presume that has been pushed back as I still haven’t heard about my build status anyway nice to hear someone else had the same luck as me.
I was at the factory today and noticed your car was being built. Have you talked to the factory about the spec? It's one of the few Atom 4s with the standard brakes. If you can, you may want to pay for some upgrades.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:45 pm

Yes was told I should consider them for track days but not sure about doing them at the moment and I do plan to upgrade just not right now
Last edited by Charlie on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Fastlane wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 pm
I was at the factory today and noticed your car was being built. Have you talked to the factory about the spec? It's one of the few Atom 4s with the standard brakes. If you can, you may want to pay for some upgrades.

Hi yes I only got the essentials like stainless fixings, lsd and baffled sump for the moment as brakes and suspension are quite expensive for me at this time but I do plan on sourcing them but perhaps I will go for alternatives from the likes of Skunkworks when they start catering for the 4 was hoping to pick up brakes etc from the for sale section on this site or elsewhere but proving hard also asked in the technical if the parts can be sourced from other makes of vehicle that perhaps have the same fitment but no one has replied.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi yes I only got the essentials like stainless fixings, lsd and baffled sump for the moment as brakes and suspension are quite expensive for me at this time but I do plan on sourcing them but perhaps I will go for alternatives from the likes of Skunkworks when they start catering for the 4 was hoping to pick up brakes etc from the for sale section on this site or elsewhere but proving hard also asked in the technical if the parts can be sourced from other makes of vehicle that perhaps have the same fitment but no one has replied.
I think most people who purchase Ariel’s cars trust that they source and provide the best possible components for their products. Please don’t think that’s a thinly barbed snipe at your good fortune, it’s just the sentiment I’ve seen here on the forum generally (not a bad thing). I also think people want to support the manufacturer that brought us the car we all enjoy so much, to some extent - there aren’t many cars like the Atom!
In almost any form (never tried a 4) they are pretty crazy by normal car standards, so I personally wouldn’t risk trying to source something that’s not been reliably tested or used before for my own car.... once you start driving and finding the limits you want to be 100% confident that everything is right, IMHO.

Can’t believe you are a botb winner - you wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve cursed my own lack of ability to spot the bloody ball!

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm

Atlarge wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:38 pm
I think most people who purchase Ariel’s cars trust that they source and provide the best possible components for their products. Please don’t think that’s a thinly barbed snipe at your good fortune, it’s just the sentiment I’ve seen here on the forum generally (not a bad thing). I also think people want to support the manufacturer that brought us the car we all enjoy so much, to some extent - there aren’t many cars like the Atom!
In almost any form (never tried a 4) they are pretty crazy by normal car standards, so I personally wouldn’t risk trying to source something that’s not been reliably tested or used before for my own car.... once you start driving and finding the limits you want to be 100% confident that everything is right, IMHO.

Can’t believe you are a botb winner - you wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve cursed my own lack of ability to spot the bloody ball!

Hi no offence taken I am trying to source the same parts it is just the price on the options sheet doesn’t seem that much of a saving considering they are replacing parts that are already on the car so I figured I would wait and perhaps buy them later instead of paying out so much at the one time for the extras thanks.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Atlarge
Can’t believe you are a botb winner - you wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve cursed my own lack of ability to spot the bloody ball
BOTB are a company who run weekly and monthly draws for exotic cars to which anyone can buy ticket(s).

BOTB stands for 'Best of the Best' www.botb.com

However one of the main drawbacks of winning a car in a BOTB draw is that in most cases (but not all) the cars won are usually the most basic model available with virtually none of the desirable performance 'goodies' included in the spec!

To spec the car up to something reasonable after winning can be expensive!
Last edited by autobackup on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 pm

[mention]autobackup[/mention] - yes I know them well, mainly from my many failed attempts to win nice motors! ;D