Newbie with loads of Atom questions

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
hamtt

Re: Newbie with loads of Atom questions

Post by hamtt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 pm

You're misunderstanding what I meant as I was writing quick. Yes the g forces are what make it slosh but a road car is heavier and suspension not as stiff, so when it's cornering the whole car rolls to the side more, meaning the sump isn't parallel to the floor and if it’s not parallel it means the oil will move towards the lowest point, usually the side the car is leaning on.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:49 am

John Scherrer wrote: There’s a rumour that the engines come to the factory on a pallet with the baffled sump already fitted and they have to remove it if that box isn’t ticked.
Yep - mine was 'thrown in for free' given we had ticked so many other boxes.

I suspect if the majority of customer engines have baffled sums so the factory would order it that way by default and remove by exception.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:28 pm

Which spec of Atom really depends on what you are going to use it for.
I've had my Atom 2 245bhp N/A since I bought it new in August 2006, and it's covered 29000 miles.
I used to do more Track Days some years ago, but now just do two local ones at Aintree Motor Circuit run by the Liverpool Motor Club, but for me, it's primarily a fast, fun car for everyday use all year round, and always has been.
Even though mine would seem to be a lower spec than what all the other advice that's been given here, in the two Track Days I do at Aintree, I think that they're the only ones that have a fourth category for Open Wheelers & Race Cars, which is the group I go in, and I know I'm not the fastest, nor most experienced driver, but I hold my own and I'm definitely not the slowest on track.
Decide what you're going to do with it first, and if it's not mainly for use on track, then really the best Atom you can find within your budget will not disappoint you, be it a 2, 3, 3.5 or whatever.

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Why a baffled sump isnt a standard item like the caterham 620r's always confused me.

A drop in baffle is sub £200 for the k20. Its just the access/labour thatl be high.

Not necessary but piece of mind for a track focussed car.

Herohonda

Post by Herohonda » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:14 am

To add to my comment above. The Caterham 620r's come with a dry sump system. Why ariel atoms dont even come with just a baffle sump, ariel which is suppose to be a road legal track day car is beyond me.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:09 pm

atomiser wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:49 am
John Scherrer wrote: There’s a rumour that the engines come to the factory on a pallet with the baffled sump already fitted and they have to remove it if that box isn’t ticked.
Yep - mine was 'thrown in for free' given we had ticked so many other boxes.

I suspect if the majority of customer engines have baffled sums so the factory would order it that way by default and remove by exception.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Why would they remove the Baffled Sump and replace it with another one which they'd obviously have to buy at extra cost, as this would then leave them with a stock of Baffled Sums that would be surplus to requirements?

If the engines are delivered with Baffled Sumps, then I'd guess that you'd have one whether or not you ticked the box to increase the cost of your Atom.

I'd be curious to know if someone who didn't tick the box actually has a Baffled Sump, so anyone out there who can check their Atom, if that's possible without too much trouble?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:20 pm

This photo taken at the factory is the baffled sump for the '3' ..

Typical cost then for the factory to retrofit was around £1.5k parts and labour and whilst it was being done, they could do a visual clutch check if it was needed.

Other quotes at the time were around £350 to exchange your unbaffled and good condition sump for a baffled sump.
You would have to arrange fitting.

Contrary to some stories, this does not have to be an engine-out job.
Stupot (and others) wrote a piece on how he did his by removing some of the mounting bolts and lifting the engine on one side ..

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15259&p=266377&hil ... es#p266377

Baffled Sump.jpg
Baffled Sump.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 528 times

Here's the Baffled Sump for the '4' - Photo extracted from Ariel's Web Site
Atom4 Baffled Sump.jpg
Atom4 Baffled Sump.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Re; why don’t I get a free or cheap baffled sump?

I’d say there’s two things at play here.

Many manufacturers sell items at a loss at the base level and make the money out of options list; not sure Ariel would be losing money on the Atom but why not charge for an additional option, that’s the business model on the Atom and I like the choices this provides me.

Secondly and probably more importantly I believe you have to pay £325 a year more tax on a new car over £40k so; yay I got a free baffled sump which means my base rate went up to £40,545 which means my free sump costs me £40,870 making the ‘free baffled sump’ £895 extra.... I think Ariel are doing the right thing here as not all need it for their needs?

Of course, I’m sure point 2 wasn’t deliberately designed to reduce tax...... just happened to be priced perfectly to not need it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:14 pm

The Atom 4 base list price is pretty obviously specifically to avoid the additional tax for 5 years for cars over £40k.

Lets be honest no one ever specs the car under £40k.

That car would not be road legal. So its a track only car. But with no LSD, or baffled sump? On road tyres without any track mods (braking suspension engine etc).

Also In horrible mis-matched colours. Black frame and silver wheels. And with the stock MASSIVE mirrors. Yum :o

You could add the wind deflectors though and still stay just under £40k. lol :laugh:

Keeping the base price low is GOOD for all of us. If the base price was higher we would get penalised with extra tax each year for years!

I agree the LSD should be standard though. Doesn't the FK8 Type R have a proper LSD as standard?
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

stupot

Post by stupot » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Not sure the extra over £40k list applies as they are (were) registered as PLG having gone through IVA so just the fixed rate based on engine size. No official CO2 rating either via IVA.

I believe options are also included in the calculations for normal vehicles.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:58 pm

stupot wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:51 pm Not sure the extra over £40k list applies as they are (were) registered as PLG having gone through IVA so just the fixed rate based on engine size. No official CO2 rating either via IVA.

I believe options are also included in the calculations for normal vehicles.
That's my thinking too, as yes, the final price inc options is what gets taxed. I don't pay the extra £310/year on my Nomad, and that with options was just over £40K, so think Stu is right - different tax class (it would have been £160/year if taxed as a normal sub 40K car).

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:45 am

Interesting. Thanks for the info Stupot and Phil4. :tu:

Its also super helpful with the "man-maths" and "wife approval" to say the prospective new car is under £40k.... When in reality its probably quite a bit more. My car is not a mad spec and its just under £60k now with recent additions. :o
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.