2018 Nomad 300 for sale, 2848 miles. ** Now SOLD **

Here you can find all things Ariel related that our members have posted for sale. In order to post an item for sale you must be a full Club Member. Registered Forum users who are not full members can comment on items for sale and Guest users can browse and search the items only.
robfitz

Re: 2018 Nomad 300 for sale, 2848 miles. ** Now SOLD **

Post by robfitz » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:36 pm

Interesting comments on here. I’d love a Nomad to go with the Atom, probably NA with the fox dampers to make it as different as possible. One day…
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:00 pm

I was going to post this in the 'Moving from Atomic to Nomadic?' thread but as both that and this seem to have morphed into Atom vs . Nomad debates I thought that I'd put this here.

so having driven Welsh mountain tracks with [mention]Antong[/mention] and [mention]richgoflow[/mention] I pretty much concur with Anton’s summary about the Nomad:

“Where they excel is on forest roads, big open gravel/mud spaces and awful tarmac roads...”

Green-laning is fun in a pioneering kind of way, but If mud-plugging is your thing – get a Defender (like Henry at Ariel has. . . ) The first day of the Welsh Hoon last July/August we mainly stuck to single track open-sighted c-roads in the hills, and we hit the ‘green’ (mostly brown TBH) lanes the next day. Although gravel tracks are brilliant in the Nomad, there aren’t many of those that are accessible (Salisbury Plain is your best bet in England). So for hours of fun, I think you just can’t beat those mountain c-roads. In all our time hooning around mid-Wales in mid summer, I can’t recall meeting something coming the other way or getting baulked by traffic.

I don’t have Atomic experience for a comparison, but I don’t think those c-roads are the Atom’s natural territory – especially the 4 given that it has gone – more atomic. The singletracks are bumpy and unpredictable and you will probably barely top 60mph, but in the Nomad are the most sustained fun I’ve had on four wheels bar nothing including track day exotica.

[Imgur](

As I said, I am not well qualified to speak of the Atom as I haven’t owned one, but I do have a Ducati Panigale. Whenever I reflect about the insanity of trying to contain it on under-sized, over-crowded British roads I think ‘I really ought to sell it’. Then I ride it and remember that it is the sheer excess about it which is so addictive. I used to also own a Ducati Multistrada which was an interesting contrast with the Panigale (both fully Ohlined) - still quick but not insanely. I nicknamed the Panigale ‘Heroin’ and the Multistrada ‘Cocaine’. In terms of recreational pastimes I think that the Nomad is the cocaine to the Atom’s heroin (not of course that I would literally know. . .).

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:50 am

I can totes see how mountain C-roads would be epic in a Nomad. I wonder how many owners live close to them, though.

I did trips to Wales in both my Atom & Nomad. Can't say they were all mountain-based but a fair mash up (see what I did there) of different roads all told. The trip in the Atom was more fun, in my experience. In fact, coming back from there in the Nomad was where/ when I decided to flog it.

As I always say, though, each to their own.

Cheers,
Hedge

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:39 am

The question has to be what car do you buy just for sheer pleasure?

I can imagine if I had Porsche GT3, I would get board with that.

My dream vehicle is an SVR F-Pace, but how long will that excite me? I know the GR Yaris I have isn't exciting me like the journos say it should and I have not gone down the route of replacing shock absorbers and exhausts et all.

The Nomad, does excite me when I drive it, but I do loathe cleaning it and I can't imagine going off road just to get it dirty.

Antong

Post by Antong » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:28 am

@jerry

I have long tried to figure out the driving vehicle for pleasure sweet spot. The nomad with better weather protection and less cleaning would be perfect!

I have and had a huge range of things over the years. Working in forestry I spent my life travelling round wales and cumbria on a mix of roads and surfaces. My elise was remarkable good at being an all round usable thing, needed gravel dampers but the winter tyres added a lovely level of slide, heater was crap though. On a whim I picked up a clean mk1 fabia vrs after the elise caught fire, I had it mapped, put TT brakes on it, gravel dampers winter tires and a thicker rear antiroll bar. It was an absolute weapon, genuinely its the car I had the most smiles per mile in.

I love my Nomad it's ludicrous and fast, it will probably go this year due to lack of time to use it but the next toy will be smaller, cheaper and less cleaning! Unless its a Bowler....
Nothing stickier than a tree

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:42 am

I'm not sure I'd ever get bored with any GT3 variant, were I to have one car to fulfil the "sheer pleasure" criteria. That said, I wouldn't get one myself. I'd want to be a bit more imaginative.

Cheers,
Hedge

Chalky

Post by Chalky » Sun May 15, 2022 7:39 pm

Interesting reading all of the above. Especially as I’ve just gotten out of a long term love affair with a 997.1 GT3. I’ve owned more Defenders than I can remember, I’ve currently got a Skoda Fabia VRS sat on the drive, it’s the mother in laws. I’ll be putting it on PH just as soon as I can muster up enough enthusiasm.

I’ve got a T6 Caravelle sat on the drive, Biturbo with every option ticked. Hardly moves as I work away, probably going down the mid life crisis route at present but I cannot find that one car that excites me, that enthuses me, that needs driving and rewards me with grins and smiles, Nomad is currently #1, an atom 3.5 with rollover hoop closely followed and then Lister Bell, Caterham, usual suspects and at the bottom there’s half a dozen motorbikes which have been vetoed by her indoors.

I’m stumbling into this with my eyes wide open. I need to optimise ownership by actually driving this thing instead of having it parked in a garage worrying about putting miles on it….. using it in the rain….. not having it serviced by an OPC daring to add anything to it that isn’t a factory fitted option and then daring to not have it ceramic coated so that the next owner makes full use of not using it either ?

Any way, I digress. A purchase is looming large and I’m soon to be a fully fledged member of the Nomad club. Warts n all !

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Mon May 16, 2022 7:21 am

I'm amazed at the prices you get for your Nomads. I'm selling my 2020 Nomad 300 (full spec) into the trade as everyone knocks it down.

Be interesting to see what the trader sells it for. I was looking to see the latest Spreadsheet to see what it would cost today to replicate the build.

Antong

Post by Antong » Mon May 16, 2022 8:12 am

@jerry If you're getting beaten down by the trade why not just sell it through the factory? They'll charge you 6% but they will ask what it cost to build originally..
Nothing stickier than a tree

Chalky

Post by Chalky » Mon May 16, 2022 1:14 pm

@jerry, I’ve PM’d you.

You’re just down the A1 from me by the looks ?