Wanted Ariel Atom 3 Street legal for Belgium

Here you can find all things Ariel related that our members have posted for sale. In order to post an item for sale you must be a full Club Member. Registered Forum users who are not full members can comment on items for sale and Guest users can browse and search the items only.
raychem

Wanted Ariel Atom 3 Street legal for Belgium

Post by raychem » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:15 pm

Hello Atom Friends, I'am from Belgium and i'am looking for a Ariel atom that is homolgé for driving in Belgium.
The new models off Ariel are not allowed for driving on the road in Belgium, only trackdays  :doh: :doh: :doh:
How had a friend in Belgium that sell there car?????  Please help me  :angel: :angel:

K20A2

Re: Wanted Ariel Atom 3 Street legal for Belgium

Post by K20A2 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 am

Already seen this one?
http://m.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/auto/?psz=0&vc=Car&dam=0&ms=;&mga_d188=DesktopHomepageAutomaticRedirect

K20Z3 is a bit strange though. AFAIK this engine was not used by Ariel.

raychem

Post by raychem » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:28 pm

On mobile.de are 2 Ariel Atoms, one in Germany and one in Belgium.
The advertiser from Belgium says it's homologé for Belgium but this is not true!!! :doh:
I had contact with the importer for Belgium and he says it is only for trackdays.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:35 pm

Strange.
What kind of number plates are those, if this Atom cannot be street legal in Belgium?
What does the seller say?

raychem

Post by raychem » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:14 pm

If you want a street legal Ariel Atom in Belgium you need a Belgium Ariel Atom that already is
inscribed in the past because new Ariel Atoms are no more possible for the Street  :doh: :doh:
Much Ariels are in the past inscribed in Belgium but later sold to another country, now it is impossible
for bring the car bach and make it street legal  :doh: :doh: :doh:
Each Ariel that goes to another country is sad for Belgium!!!!!
The Ariel that you see on mobile.de is a Belgium car but the importer of Ariel in Belgium say to me that
this car have no papers for the street. When the owner buy the car he says to the seller (importer of Belgium)
I don't need papers for make it street legal because it is a trackday car. But now it is to late because the Belgium
gouvernement says a few years ago "we don't give papers no more for that kind of cars" !!!!!!!!!!

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:58 pm

I more or less understand, but again, if this Atom was imported as a track car, why does she have number plates on the pictures?
Are those still the UK ones?
And do I understand correctly from the advertisment, that the current seller states, it would be road legal?
If so, would there not be the option to create a contract that makes them being responsible to get this Atom on the street?
In that case it should not be your problem and risk whether or not an especially how that might work.
I might be wrong though  ;)

raychem

Post by raychem » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:52 pm

i explain it simpel,

On mobile.de you see 2 Ariell Atoms.
1 Ariel of a belgium seller, 1 Ariel of a German Seller.
The Belgium Ariel has no Number Plates, the German Ariel have Germans Number Plates.
The Belgium seller says in the advertise the car is Homologé but this is not true says the importer of Ariel in Belgium.
The Importer of Belgium knows the car.
Since a couple of years you can't no more inscribe new Ariel Atoms in Belgium. Only old cars that already have papers
you can inscribe it for road legal car in Belgium.
So i have 1 Possibility, I need a Ariel Atom of a Belgium Owner that have a Road Legal Car.
I can Buy a new one, but only for trackdays, Road legal is impossible.
This is the explain off the belgium importer that lives 15km of my House.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:36 am

I think you can still buy a pre-2006 car, which would rule out an Atom 3...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:42 pm

The Belgium Atom from classic-sportscars.be with the Debussere stickers has a front and rear number plate.
The front one is sticked to the bonnet and there is one picture where it is not really made invisible.
The rear plate is black-covered on the pictures.

First:
I would investigate, what kind of number plates those are. Might be the UK ones, but I have serious doubts, that an LHD Atom being built in 2008 and bought for track days only is driving around wherever still having the original UK number plates on there.

Second and if this was in Germany:
If the current seller states, that this Atom is road legal, why would I mind any statement from the Belgium importer?
I would go to Classic-Sportscars, make a contract containing, that they register the Atom for you and you will only pick it up with Belgium registration for your name and valid number plates on it. Payment in advance covering registration only and the rest when picking up being road legal.
If they finally cannot fullfil the contract, so cannot register it, you will not have lost anything. Perhaps you could even make some money out of it for compensation ;)
Should you go for a contract, do not miss to ask about the K20Z3. This is a US market engine AFAIK and I only know about the K20Z4 for Crewkerne Atoms, so this engine could be a replacement. But I also might be wrong  :)

If it was not about this paricular Atom, I would basically not mind too much about the statement of the Belgium importer.
The German one is stating the same and still there are Atoms being registered.
I do not know the exact reason, it is somehow similar to what you wrote, but from what I understood it aparently first of all is not possible anymore for dealers.
As a private person it seems to be different.
I spent a hell lot of time preparing myself to get an imported Atom registered in Germany in 2014 with the support from Ariel and other very nice guys here in this forum.
In the end I bought an Atom already registered in Germany, but from my researches and discussions with a very experienced guy from German TÜV, whom I provided with douzends of pictures and all data sheets and knowledge I could get, it was "just" a matter of missing OBD2 port (Atom 2-220 and 2-275) and some other details to be changed for not more than 1000€ plus certification and registration.

Having said that, if you are seriously interested in owning an Atom, I would advise you to not rely too much on other's statements and give up, but prepare yourself very well and find a good, benevolent and experienced person from registration/certification authorities to discuss all necessities.
It might take some time though.

@ Bruce:
you are probably referring to the change of emission standard requirements in 2006 I believe?

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:38 pm

"The German one is stating the same and still there are Atoms being registered"  :roflp:
AA 2 300, GT3 Mk1, Mercedes A 190

c_a

Post by c_a » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:00 am

Every car that was already registered in an EU Country can be registered in every other country.

I bought a 12year old opel speedster last year from belgium and I had no trouble to register it in germany.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Unfortunately not for an Atom and similar cars not having a COC or V5 document available from my experience.
You would need a new and complete certification.
Last edited by K20A2 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calis Koen

Post by Calis Koen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:51 pm

[quote="raychem"]
Hello Atom Friends, I'am from Belgium and i'am looking for a Ariel atom that is homolgé for driving in Belgium.
The new models off Ariel are not allowed for driving on the road in Belgium, only trackdays  :doh: :doh: :doh:
How had a friend in Belgium that sell there car?????  Please help me  :angel: :angel:
[/quote]

Hi i AM from Belgium And have a fully road legal Ariel atom
Any questions will be answered;)